U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:03 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,610,964 times

Advertisements

Hello - we are relocating to Mooresville to be closer to my work as after 5 years of commuting 100 miles per day it's gotten a bit old!

We are looking for nice neighborhoods in the 200-250k range. We have a soon-to-be 3 year old so schools are an important part as well. It seems like ISS and MGSD have great points both so I don't think you'd go wrong in either district so that is great.

We love the east side of town as it's closer to my work and less congested/crowded. It's more like where we live now in terms of being a little more rural feel to it, which is nice in our opinion.

While riding around looking at neighborhoods we came across the Ashlyn Creek subdivision which looks perfect for what we are looking for. It's currently still in what I would call early development as it has no clubhouse or rec areas but some are planned for the future (maybe next summer according to them). Niblock homes started the community but DR Horton has came in late last year, early this year, and started building homes as well.

Initially we were very excited as the houses were priced right, great looking and floor plans that work for us. And the neighborhood was spaced enough so its not totally on top of each other. We've gotten quotes on the house, including upgrades, and everything seems great.

And now the but.....I've since started researching DR Horton and came across mixed reviews to say the least which have me questioning whether to move forward with them or not. Fortunately we've not signed anything so we can just walk away now w/o issue.

It seems like DR Horton has a somewhat better reputation in Charlotte then other areas of the country, so that's good. Also, I know it depends on who is supervising the work while its being done as to what quality you'll receive. Here are my choices as I see them right now....

1. Move forward with Ashlyn Creek as is.
2. Move forward with Ashlyn Creek with the understanding that I hire my own Certified Home Inspector to review various stages of construction to ensure all is well.
3. Forget Ashlyn Creek and look at other neighborhoods that are more "established".

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts on this, especially those that live in Mooresville or who live in a DR Horton built home in the area currently.

Oh, one other question, anything we should know about that particular area that may not be immediately obvious to someone that doesn't live there?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 01:35 PM

158 posts, read 379,975 times
You can try Glynwater subdivision. There is some traffic in the afternoon on Williamson Rd [ the road in front of the neighborhood ]. But, other then that it is a nice place. I am not familiar with the neighborhood you mentioned or the builder. How far out from Mooresville are you looking? There is also Morrison Plantation and there is a nice neighborhood behind the golf course you could look at. Let me know and I'll try to tell you what I can.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:41 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times
Don't expect any newly started subdivision to ever be completed. You should first decide if you can live with that risk or not.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 PM

I'm more concerned with the build quality of my house then the subdivision being complete anytime soon.

thesearch - I'm really looking to be on the east side of Mooresville if possible as I work at Lowe's and being able to drive home at lunch is very appealing. Morrison Plantation doesn't appeal to us in the same way Curtis Pond doesn't.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Okay. Then if you get a chance check out the neighborhood behind the golf cousre. I have rode through there a couple times it is a very nice place. Maybe there will be a home availible. Also, check out Glynwater and the neighborhood just a few houndred feet down the road east of Glynwater.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:46 AM

I'll ride over that way today on lunch and take a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Your welcome!

Old 07-05-2010, 02:43 PM

I thought, just to let you know, my family is in the process of putting our home on the market. We aren't finished with somethings, but if you would like to get an idea of what a home in Glynwater looks like you are welcome to come by. Just let me know.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:55 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,783,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I'm more concerned with the build quality of my house then the subdivision being complete anytime soon.

thesearch - I'm really looking to be on the east side of Mooresville if possible as I work at Lowe's and being able to drive home at lunch is very appealing. Morrison Plantation doesn't appeal to us in the same way Curtis Pond doesn't.
Ashlyn Creek was started by Niblock Homes, but when RE took a dive, they weren't selling any homes. That's why DR Horton's in there now, they "purchased" several lots form Niblock. I live in a Niblock Home (Harris Village on Hwy 3) & am very pleased with it. There's a few homes for sale here now if you"re interested in a resale. I know DH Horton has also built in the Cherry Grove subdivision out on Hwy 150 in east Mooresville. The Lowe's campus is 6 miles from Harris Village (I currently work at Lowes, do the drive daily), so you can make it home for lunch if you want.

The MGSD is very good...ranked 8th in the state (math & english) & every student, 3rd grade & up get s a laptop.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Ashlyn Creek was started by Niblock Homes, but when RE took a dive, they weren't selling any homes. That's why DR Horton's in there now, they "purchased" several lots form Niblock. I live in a Niblock Home (Harris Village on Hwy 3) & am very pleased with it. There's a few homes for sale here now if you"re interested in a resale. I know DH Horton has also built in the Cherry Grove subdivision out on Hwy 150 in east Mooresville. The Lowe's campus is 6 miles from Harris Village (I currently work at Lowes, do the drive daily), so you can make it home for lunch if you want.

The MGSD is very good...ranked 8th in the state (math & english) & every student, 3rd grade & up get s a laptop.

I have been through the Harris Village sub and do love the location and feel of that neighborhood. Very well kept and you can tell the people take pride in their homes, which is important to us as we do the same. Definitely a neighborhood we'd keep our eye on if building didn't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or