U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:34 PM

159 posts, read 349,094 times

Advertisements

What's the deal with the sales tax here in NC???

When I go shopping there are multiple sales taxes ranging in total from 7.75% to more than 10%.

Can someone please explain to me what's going on?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 05:07 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,486 times
10%? Where are you seeing that? Mecklenburg's rate is the highest in the state - 8.25%. That includes a 0.5% tax for the light rail. Sales tax = state rate (5.75% ) plus local tax and varies by county. Here are the rates for all 100 counties. There is a separate 2% tax on food.

NC Dept of Revenue

Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,019,080 times
I hate to be the guy who comes from somewhere else and complains on how things are run, but 9.25% sales tax on prepared foods is ridiculous. I don't think it's that high in New York City.

And when I go to the supermarket there are three different sales taxes showing up at the bottom of my receipt, and I can never figure out which tax is for what thing I bought.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,303,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I hate to be the guy who comes from somewhere else and complains on how things are run, but 9.25% sales tax on prepared foods is ridiculous. I don't think it's that high in New York City.

And when I go to the supermarket there are three different sales taxes showing up at the bottom of my receipt, and I can never figure out which tax is for what thing I bought.
Gotta charge higher than NYC tax rates to provide all of the services NYC transplants think they're entitled to down here. Dont you think the property tax rate you pay here, as compared to NYC is a fair tradeoff?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,019,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Gotta charge higher than NYC tax rates to provide all of the services NYC transplants think they're entitled to down here. Dont you think the property tax rate you pay here, as compared to NYC is a fair tradeoff?
I'm not from NYC, I was just trying to think of the highest-taxed place I could think of as a comparison.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,914,129 times
There is an additional 2% tax on prepared food... whatever that means. Apparently it is so complicated the Department of Revenue can't explain it and nobody can fully understand it, so don't expect to figure it out by looking at your supermarket receipt. Just pay it.

Quote:
Sales taxes on sales of agricultural products are complex. With the definitions of food and prepared food, the original state of a product and the difference between wholesale and retail sales, it is very easy to misunderstand how sales tax applies to sales of agricultural products.
Understanding Sales Taxes On Agricultural Products

Old 07-05-2010, 05:27 PM

159 posts, read 349,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Actually no. Just curious - why do you feel the need to attack people from NYC? Most people who I've meet that have relocated here are not from NYC but places like NJ, NY State, OH, PA, MI.

Everyone wants convenience, no matter where you live. And you really didnít answer my question, you just sound angry.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:13 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,924,417 times
They created the prepared food tax to squeeze some taxes out of people who don't own property in Mecklenburg, but do come into the county to work and play.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 PM

6 posts, read 7,725 times
That is how they pay for all the FREE service that I see way to many people take advantage of. I sometime think that is their full time job. You want it? You can get it? Wonder why we are in the shape this Country is in?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,314,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinnj07 View Post
Actually no. Just curious - why do you feel the need to attack people from NYC? Most people who I've meet that have relocated here are not from NYC but places like NJ, NY State, OH, PA, MI.

Everyone wants convenience, no matter where you live. And you really didn’t answer my question, you just sound angry.
It varies up here , Suburban & Rural Jersey its 7% and Urban Jersey 3 n half %. NJ has no clothing tax either. So we get off pretty easy. Aside form the property taxes. NY is a bit different and many New Yorkers shop in NJ. But 10% is extreme , my god and you guys have a clothing tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte