U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-05-2010, 12:12 PM
 
24 posts, read 59,553 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

My husband has been living in this area for the past year.
I've been trying to join him here but have been unable to find
any employment, full time, part time or freelance.
My background is in advertising and design, I've won
many awards and I'm in my 40s. Do younger people do
better in this area? Is it because of the lower pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2010, 02:04 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Reputation: 8955
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebelle View Post
My husband has been living in this area for the past year.
I've been trying to join him here but have been unable to find
any employment, full time, part time or freelance.
My background is in advertising and design, I've won
many awards and I'm in my 40s. Do younger people do
better in this area? Is it because of the lower pay?
Have you tried TV stations? They have art departments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 10:07 AM
 
1 posts, read 990 times
Reputation: 10
I too am looking for some type art/design job, I wouldn't mind painting soap for commercials . I mostly design for games and film but I'm trying to branch off into other areas. I'm 23 and am having a hard time finding work as well, who knows why. If anything comes up I'll let you know PLEASE!. Does anybody know of any places around North Carolina that do design work for cartoons, games, or film? I live in Greensboro and this area is well, you know.[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/blondebelle-331957.html"][/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
Most of my friends and associates who are graphic artists, writers, designers have formed their own companies and tried to branch out into other ventures to ensure revenue stream. Ad agencies have gone under and many are struggling. It is nearly impossible to find a job at an agency these days (unless you have personal contacts w/ decision-makers or can bring in your own client list and book of business).

I do not have suggestions other than doing what the rest of us have done - hit the streets to solicit work from businesses and find ways to increase billing through new projects or ventures (which often includes online ventures).

Atlanta may have more opportunity, as far as a city nearby - haven't checked on their market, tho, in the last few years since I have no clients there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Reputation: 8955
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Most of my friends and associates who are graphic artists, writers, designers have formed their own companies and tried to branch out into other ventures to ensure revenue stream. Ad agencies have gone under and many are struggling. It is nearly impossible to find a job at an agency these days (unless you have personal contacts w/ decision-makers or can bring in your own client list and book of business).

I do not have suggestions other than doing what the rest of us have done - hit the streets to solicit work from businesses and find ways to increase billing through new projects or ventures (which often includes online ventures).

Atlanta may have more opportunity, as far as a city nearby - haven't checked on their market, tho, in the last few years since I have no clients there.
Ani, I almost think that Greenville/Spartanburg might have more jobs in various branches of advertising. The Greenville stations are all running multiple transponders to boost signals to reach the state line. I frequently get the Greenville stations & they run lots of commercials for local, non-chain stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 AM
 
292 posts, read 591,361 times
Reputation: 200
Hey Ani-are you in marketing/graphic design? Do you know a good local group/club of designers? I work inhouse, and want to meet other designers and hang out and learn from each other. I feel so isolated from the rest of the design community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflychik View Post
Hey Ani-are you in marketing/graphic design? Do you know a good local group/club of designers? I work inhouse, and want to meet other designers and hang out and learn from each other. I feel so isolated from the rest of the design community.
Yep, that's part of what I do! It is very easy to feel isolated!

Do you tweet? CLTweetup . . . check it out!

CLTweetup | Facebook

DM me and we can get connected on FB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top