Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 AM

187 posts, read 491,715 times

Advertisements

Really!!!!!????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
LOLOLOLOL, omygosh, no need to spend THAT much!!! You can get a great house in the $300's in Charlotte
Good to know!!!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
Really!!!!!????

I'll dm you a few links to homes for sale in Monteith right now just so you can see what your money will buy

Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
LOLOLOLOL, omygosh, no need to spend THAT much!!! You can get a great house in the $300's in Charlotte
Quote:
I'll dm you a few links to homes for sale in Monteith right now just so you can see what your money will buy
Thank you!!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 AM

509 posts, read 1,802,577 times
Quote:
So Monteith Park is at the south end of Huntersville? Someone wrote that the good schools are on the north end.
Monteith is between exits 23 and 25, but is not really on the "south" side of Huntersville - I think people are talking about Blythe / Alexander / North Meck with they talk about the "south" schools.

At any rate, the schools you want in Huntersville are the ones I listed

There are other good elementary schools - it's the middle and high schools.

For $500K, I again encourage you to look in Davidson. Davidson Elementary is fantastic and feeds to Bailey Middle and Hough High.

If you want to save some $$, I think Loves is sending you some links worth checking out!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:34 PM

224 posts, read 458,007 times
Quote:
Thinking about moving to Mooresville or Hunterville

How do these areas compare?

What do you love about the area; what drives you crazy?

Are the schools any good?

Are there neighborhoods where you can bike to an ice cream shop or coffee shop?

Can I walk to school with the kids?

What's the traffic like?
Taxes are higher in Mecklenburg county which is where the towns of Cornelius, Huntersville and Davidson are located.
Iredell county's property taxes are less and that is where the town of Mooresville is located a little further north.

I love this area. I live here, work here and play here in Mooresville. It has a lot of what you are looking for and some other things that you might not expect, such as Lake Norman for additional recreation...boating, skiing, fishing etc. Mooresville also has a pretty new public skateboard park, located next to the police station.

Great schools in Iredell and the Mooresville Graded School District. Also very desirable is Davidson Elementary and the new Hough High opening to its first students in August.

The walking to school opportunity is going to be tough no matter where you decide to live....the area is more sprawling than condensed for walkability unless you want to live right on top of the school...which I would not highly recommend because of all the traffic with buses and the amazing number of people who drive their kids to school.

Traffic pretty much anywhere in Charlotte can be a bear at different times of the day (or night) as the number and width of the roads have not kept up with the growth and demand.

I would recommend you plan to make a week long or at the very least an extended weekend preliminary visit to get a tour of the different areas. I believe you will get a lot more house for your money than in DC in this area. Davidson has an eclectic old town feel to it with a small Main Street lined with shops and restaurants, that also service Davidson College. It will probably be your best bet for walking to the Elementary school, if that is absolutely an essential in your search. Monteith is an absolutely fabulous community, both for what it offers and for it's central location. However, as was mentioned in a previous post, the lots are very small, usually less than a quarter acre, zero lot line, meaning your house is on the minimum setback on the sides and so is your neighbors...which is usually about 20' between the homes. They are neo-traditional styling and Saussy Burbank did a good job of trying to design them so that you weren't staring right into your neighbor's window...although it does happen.

There are plenty of housing options in your price point. 500K will get you a pretty large house in this area and you may not have to spend nearly that much to get the home you desire. It just depends on what you're criteria and expectations are for a home.

There are a lot of options and choices here for all the amenities you are seeking. It is unlikely that you will find everything that you want in one place. The biggest challenge I always find with people relocating is that they try to mirror exactly what they have, where they are coming from. It is nearly impossible to do that, as every area in the country, is different from everywhere else. But, the opportunity to go to a basketball, football, baseball game, or a show, museum, festival and plenty more are all here and much closer than you have in DC. However, until the light rail comes (if ever) you will have to drive. (way less than 90 minutes--even during peak drive time to a Carolina Panther game)

Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 13,825 times
You have a ton of options at a 500K price for the north meck suburbs, actively consider Cornelius and Davidson, some suggestions for beautiful, family friendly neighborhoods in the area that feed to the good schools... in Davidson - River Run, McConnell, in Cornelius - Antiquity (small yards!), Jetton Cove, in Huntersville - The Hamptons, Northstone. You spend less than 500k in all of these neighborhoods and get a beautiful home with a large yard. P.S. Once you figure out how to get around the back routes, traffic isn't so bad and the worst road in the area Sam Furr/NC 73 is getting widened starting this month.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:11 AM

292 posts, read 671,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar110801 View Post
You have a ton of options at a 500K price for the north meck suburbs, actively consider Cornelius and Davidson, some suggestions for beautiful, family friendly neighborhoods in the area that feed to the good schools... in Davidson - River Run, McConnell, in Cornelius - Antiquity (small yards!), Jetton Cove, in Huntersville - The Hamptons, Northstone. You spend less than 500k in all of these neighborhoods and get a beautiful home with a large yard. P.S. Once you figure out how to get around the back routes, traffic isn't so bad and the worst road in the area Sam Furr/NC 73 is getting widened starting this month.

Oh wow! I didn't know Sam Furr was getting widened. That is great news! I am over on the west side of Huntersville, and whenever I go to the east side, Sam Furr always seems to be congested.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar110801 View Post
We can't wait to check this out. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:25 PM

67 posts, read 192,559 times
exit 28 (W. Catawba) was just widened - not much traffic to speak of here. Just moved into the Peninsula about 1.5 years ago at that price point and love it. It's a tad older though - many retirees, but those original owners are starting to turn over. VERY welcoming neighborhood. We liked River Run in Davison as well. We'll get the new high school, although that's a long way off for my 2 kids who are both under 3. I work in Mooresville; 14 min commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte