U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,270 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into a web developer position right now, with possible relocation to Charlotte. I'm very excited.

My main concern is of course cost of living/salary combo, as it is for most people.

I'm bringing my family to Charlotte from Orange County, California. What it comes down to is I'm tired of living in "survival" mode financially.

I'm currently working for a large brand making $70k/yr as a web developer.

Any web developers in Charlotte with about 5-10 years experience care to share what they are currently making out there?

I'm currently renting an O.K. 3-bedroom townhome for $1650.00/month with a small patio for a backyard. I'm very excited to see on Craigslist, that there are tons of single family homes, for under $1000 a month - crazy!

Thanks.
Travis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.anderson View Post
I'm looking into a web developer position right now, with possible relocation to Charlotte. I'm very excited.

My main concern is of course cost of living/salary combo, as it is for most people.

I'm bringing my family to Charlotte from Orange County, California. What it comes down to is I'm tired of living in "survival" mode financially.

I'm currently working for a large brand making $70k/yr as a web developer.

Any web developers in Charlotte with about 5-10 years experience care to share what they are currently making out there?

I'm currently renting an O.K. 3-bedroom townhome for $1650.00/month with a small patio for a backyard. I'm very excited to see on Craigslist, that there are tons of single family homes, for under $1000 a month - crazy!

Thanks.
Travis
Can't speak with too much experience on the salary thing - but my general impression is you would make somewhere n the $50k range here, IF you can find a job. Competition is very stiff and there don't seem to be a lot of web developer positions around.

However, if you do find something and make the move, plan to spend a minimum of $1200 a month for a house if you want one in a good school assignment area.

Best of luck!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,270 times
Cool! Thanks for the reply. I'm specifically referring to houses in Matthews, nc. How are the schools there? Does it vary quite a bit?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis.anderson View Post
Cool! Thanks for the reply. I'm specifically referring to houses in Matthews, nc. How are the schools there? Does it vary quite a bit?

Schools in Matthews are good, but do plan to spend $1200 a month for a 3 bedroom home (though you might luck up and find something closer to $1000).

If you are able to find a job and get serious about househunting, come back here and give us addresses of homes you find online so we can tell you what we know about those particular neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or