Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,018 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm currently living in Dallas, TX (moved here from Detroit, MI a few months ago) and I am strongly considering moving to Charlotte, NC permanently to call home. I'm an African American Female, 47, single no children working currently for a bank; however switching careers and going into nursing. I read about Charlotte a number of years ago in Black Enterprise as one of the up and coming cities for African Americans to live and raise families. Just looking for some insight about Charlotte and any other city that may be close by that would be good to live. Looking for good school systems, low crime rate, cultural activities, pro sports team, good work life, restaurants, night live and the like. Someplace (not necessarily limiting myself to Charlotte) that has a mixture of both Detroit and Dallas if that is at all possible. I will rent at first, however, looking to ultimately buy a home. Any place near water would be a huge plus. I have no problem with commuting (30 minutes). Also interested in finding someone that I can email/correspond with to assist with questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,320,229 times
Did you live *in* Detroit or one of the 'burbs? I need a frame of reference so that I can make some comparisons. I lived in Lansing, MI, for 32 years prior to moving here 3+ years ago. I wouldn't move back to MI if you paid me.

I spent about 3 months working in the Dallas 'burbs (Plano), but didn't spend much time in the city, so I can't compare Dallas proper to Charlotte.

I'm curious to know why Black Enterprise listed this as an up and coming city for AA folks to live/work? Not that I'm implying it isn't, I'd just be curious to know their reasons for thinking it is.

As far as weather goes, Charlotte could be considered a mix of Detroit/Dallas. Our summers are milder than Dallas. We get no real winter to speak of, especially compared to MI. Maybe a light snow once or twice a season, but it's usually melted in less than 24 hrs.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 PM

6 posts, read 8,821 times
The Black Enterprise I see is the ones that live off the State. I have never seen so much in one State that their full time job is getting what they can free. Free I mean everything, why should they work. The tax base is very high. 8.25 and possibly go higher. Hmm wonder why?? Give me Michigan anyday. You can find work in Michigan if you look and the pay is better and taxes lower.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,495,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylarose View Post
The Black Enterprise I see is the ones that live off the State. I have never seen so much in one State that their full time job is getting what they can free. Free I mean everything, why should they work. The tax base is very high. 8.25 and possibly go higher. Hmm wonder why?? Give me Michigan anyday. You can find work in Michigan if you look and the pay is better and taxes lower.

Give you Michigan any day? Then I presume you are packing as we type?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,320,229 times
Quote:
The first section of this post doesn't even warrant the dignity of a response.

I lived in MI for 32 years, and let me say - give me CLT any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Check your cost of living calculators - Payscale.com and Bankrate.com and CNNMoney say cost of living in CLT is 6%, 8.9% and 8% LOWER than Detroit, respectively. So, I'm not sure where you're going with the tax argument.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,793,242 times
Quote:
I assume your experience with Charlotte has not been the greatest.....Gotta ask though.....why Michigan....? I do believe unemployment is at it's highest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte