U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,911,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

The silliest part is that Charlotte is claiming Gaston County as their metro, to the Cleveland County line. Kings Mountain straddles the 2 counties. What is wrong with the officials that they are not claiming the whole town?l....
Metro areas are defined by the federal Office of Management and Budget not any government in Charlotte. The OMB defines all metro areas and they use a set of rules based around population size of each county and commuting patterns. They are by county, so a county is either in or not.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:59 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,728,096 times
Why would Mecklenburg want to pay for light rail to Gastonia? That would just be subsidizing people who don't pay Mecklenburg taxes to use Mecklenburg services. If Mecklenburg wants to lay out a pile of money for projects like this, it ought to be for the benefit of the residents of Mecklenburg, not the adjoining counties.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,396,087 times
That is a government meeting that I would like transparent. Lets sit in.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:23 PM

21,793 posts, read 27,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Why would Mecklenburg want to pay for light rail to Gastonia? That would just be subsidizing people who don't pay Mecklenburg taxes to use Mecklenburg services. If Mecklenburg wants to lay out a pile of money for projects like this, it ought to be for the benefit of the residents of Mecklenburg, not the adjoining counties.
Who said that Mecklenburg should pay for the Gaston County line? Gaston is paying for it, & probably the state will have to kick in for the portion in Mecklenburg, since Charlotte refuses to have anything to do with it.

I did say that it would be nice if Charlotte would kick in an airport station, which it won't. More people in Mecklenburg would benefit from that.

Gaston will go with diesel because Mecklenburg refuses to go in on it.

This is outlined in the thread that I posted.

I checked with an elderly neighbor & when the Gastonia to Charlotte line used to run, years ago, it also included Kings Mountain, so that will be the first part of the commuter line. The state is going to send it out to Shelby & Boiling Springs.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:09 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,406,240 times
A train line to the airport seems like a nobrainer to me.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:00 PM

21,793 posts, read 27,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
A train line to the airport seems like a nobrainer to me.
I know, & since the Gastonia train will be going near it, wouldn't you think that Charlotte would be cooperative & build a station to shuttle people to the airport?

Old 07-16-2010, 11:29 PM

Im stuck on this monorail thing it would be solar powered on top of each car Let Charlotte behead of the
game. Corporations could manage it.
And the transportation secretary could set the guidines for NCDOT who will hire at the employment security commission.
It would work
Spoiler

Means more jobs and not a tax dollar spent.
It would be required to stay free.

Spoiler

This will turn Blue Collar workers into white collar.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-17-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 06:22 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,275,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im stuck on this monorail thing it would be solar powered on top of each car Let Charlotte behead of the
game. Corporations could manage it.
And the transportation secretary could set the guidines for NCDOT who will hire at the employment security commission.
It would work
Spoiler

Means more jobs and not a tax dollar spent.
It would be required to stay free.

Spoiler

This will turn Blue Collar workers into white collar.
How can you afford a monorail? You would have to raise taxes alot.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:40 AM

By selling the energy converted from the solar panels.
It will pretty much pay for its self.

The government only role is to regulate it like it does with rest of life like the FAA
Not a cent of tax payer dollar. We need to stop being so dependent on having the
goverment. Airlines are not owned by the goverment.

The maker of the first unmanned solar power airplane can set up the blue print
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovat...ex.html?hpt=C2

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-17-2010 at 10:52 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,262,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am sure that you are as concerned about our national debt as I am. And I bet you also agree that there is "good debt" and "bad debt" . . . just as the start up costs for a viable business is good debt, as long as one can repay that debt in a timely manner (or has a viable plan for raising funds and creating revenue).

A transit system is a good thing on many levels - as long as its design meets a present need and/or anticipates a future need.

However, as with all good things, it must be measured as to how important that transit system is in relation to other infrastructure needs - one might say - competing needs.

And most importantly, there is a hierarchy of needs when it comes to city planning . . . all of which must be PAID FOR.

Eventually, the balance sheet is just that . . . credits and debits that must be balanced.

That is where I have a problem with how this Administration is spending money and how the city is eagerly accepting it.

Investing is a good thing . . . as long as there is a revenue stream that balances out that debt.

I don't see the revenue stream. There are finite limits as to how much tax revenue can be raised within any given period of time . . .
You have good points (and repealing NAFTA would be a good start in terms of making this country more productive again), but since the city has very little say in what the feds spend money on, the city needs to try and get what's available to it if what we're trying to do with those funds are beneficial to us in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or