Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 06:03 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Very well put. As I said earlier - I think the streetcars are actually quite charming and pay homage to an earlier era in Charlotte's history. But tearing up the streets and incurring god only knows what kind of situation with underground pipes - all for a streetcar track of a few blocks - seems very low priority at this point in time.

But really - it doesn't matter what anyone thinks - it's a done deal.
Thanks, Ani.

I know Nexis from the NJ board, which I rarely post on (except the Christie threads, which are great fun) He's in North Jersey but likes to pop onto the South Jersey board occasionally. How he popped up here is beyond me.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks, Ani.

I know Nexis from the NJ board, which I rarely post on (except the Christie threads, which are great fun) He's in North Jersey but likes to pop onto the South Jersey board occasionally. How he popped up here is beyond me.
I scan the site and comment on the Transit topics , and few others things ive touched almost every state.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I scan the site and comment on the Transit topics , and few others things ive touched almost every state.
You're welcome to post here, just mind your manners.

Search the board for the light rail threads. Some have youtube videos.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome to post here, just mind your manners.

Search the board for the light rail threads. Some have youtube videos.
I do , i search Light Rail , Streetcar , High Speed Rail , Amtrak , Rail , Trains every few hrs hehe. The CATS line falls into the category of low amount of videos so i'll have to come down there and cover the system.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I do , i search Light Rail , Streetcar , High Speed Rail , Amtrak , Rail , Trains every few hrs hehe. The CATS line falls into the category of low amount of videos so i'll have to come down there and cover the system.
You do that.

You see, people would just be thrilled if the grant that we're discussing could go to the light rail expansion, but it can't, so people are not happy, because it will provide a few construction jobs, but really isn't much good for now.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:51 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
I guess you don't realize the amount of jobs and Investment your city will get with this line. That alone will be more then 25 million$$.
This of course is an opinion. This particular streetcar due to its design, IMO will bring nothing but higher taxes.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:01 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
I guess I am one of the few that is excited about this streetcar system even if it was inspired by a horses butt.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
I've actually been working on this project for a few months. If you drive down Trade St in Uptown and also along Central Ave, you can see the pink marks in the road where we've surveyed the underground utilities. Right now they are just doing the initial soil test bores. I have no idea when the work may start on that part of the project.

I've also been working on the light rail extension. From what I was told, the stimulus money alloted for the high speed train that is being built from Charlotte to Raleigh will also be used to expand the light rail line to UNCC. Right now we've just been doing the survey work, so I don't know if and when the work will begin. I've done survey work for a number of projects in the past that never came to fruition. Who knows how much money is wasted on planning alone? I originally surveyed for the trolley 6 years ago along Central Ave and we had to do it again this year.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
... From what I was told, the stimulus money alloted for the high speed train that is being built from Charlotte to Raleigh will also be used to expand the light rail line to UNCC....
This part isn't true. What may happen is some of the improvements needed by the light rail project in that rail corridor may be funded by the HSR train which will need them too. These improvements will only go as far as Sugar Creek (or maybe Eastway) as beyond that the LRT will head to it's own ROW. The LRT will never see the light of day. It now costs too much for the ridership.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 PM

Default Streetcar questions override answers

Streetcar questions override answers - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/12/1557730/streetcar-questions-override-answers.html - broken link)

Interesting.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte