U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times

Advertisements

The project will feature six stops and three replica trolleys.
Eventually, the city plans to build a 10-mile streetcar route

The Charlotte Streetcar Starter Project will cost $24,990,000 and is being
paid for by federal funds.

Charlotte given $25 million for streetcar route - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,864,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The project will feature six stops and three replica trolleys.
Eventually, the city plans to build a 10-mile streetcar route

The Charlotte Streetcar Starter Project will cost $24,990,000 and is being
paid for by federal funds.

Charlotte given $25 million for streetcar route - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

Which I think confirms that the Federal Goverment really has it's head stuck up it's arse.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
I always love it when projects are touted as being paid for by federal funds. People seem to think that is magic money. It doesn't seem to hit the average guy that this is HIS tax dollars at work. I guess for some, that feels like "getting something back." All I can think about is the federal deficit and how Uncle Sam is disbursing funds that don't really exist, except as loans from China and Dubai, lol.

I would rather that $24M were an offset on our impossible, unmanageable debt.

But the trolley idea is cute - probably will add some charm to the city, lol.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,025,679 times
So I guess we can't take a few million and channel it to our library system? Maybe if each branch featured books and DVDs about trolleys, it would count?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
So I guess we can't take a few million and channel it to our library system? Maybe if each branch featured books and DVDs about trolleys, it would count?
Nahhhhh. This is free money, remember? Federal funds. Libraries are local funds - real money. Federal money is play money. Totally different. We are supposed to spent actual, real dollars collected from citizens who live here to pay for the libraries.

Federal money is just an IOU, so to speak . . . Kinda like running up a credit card.

However, if you made the suggestion to THIS city council (about DVDs of trolley cars) they would probably figure out a way to use your tax dollars to go see trolley cars in San Francisco, up close and personal . . . to experience them first person. (But you wouldn't qualify for the trip, cause you actually earn a salary).

Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
Libraries are paid mostly from the local level and also we need to grasp that the demand for
print media has deminished.
This is a suggestion just an idea in order to update with the times

Spoiler
The Libraries need corporate america to lease them similar how the Tag office is. Same for
school systems.
Eliminate any Taxes would save billions of tax dollars if we let corporate america take over
preferably a NC company.

Contract Libraries to Business like Barnes & Noble that way I can have a chai tea latte
ALSO copy center could be contracted out to Staples or similar.
Also they could run a mailbox stores too. another future possible tax elimination.

As Americans we can push for tax elimination if we eliminate taxes that corporate america
can do. You guys are bright lets use our heads to push for better way of living that caters
to demands of 21st century.
Brace the new we are holding on to ways things are done way back in 20th Century.
We all can show North Carolina & Charlotte is progressive or
we can keep the backwards image. You guys are smart, Whining ok but action goes further.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:28 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
So Sunny, by your post above you say if one disagrees w/the 25Million for the streecar, we are classified as "whining". Also, if we aren't for this, you consider us "backwards" and not "catering to the demands of the 21st century"?

I just want to confirm that you stand behind your post and mean that 100%....correct?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,129,494 times
I think it's a waste of money; federal, local or otherwise.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,434,570 times
Here's the next excuse to raise property taxes again...

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 24,392 times
It's funny how on the CLT vs. ATL threads, all the Charlotteans say things like "We only look to Atlanta as a model of how not to do things"

Then, when the city does things that promote urban development and reduce suburban sprawl, everyone complains that it's a waste of money. I'm just waiting on someone to post "I'd rather that $25 million go toward widening I-85"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or