Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:59 PM

169 posts, read 473,122 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had problems with their hardi plank (fiber cement or cement board) siding? If so, please tell me what kind of problems. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 01:12 PM

972 posts, read 2,434,156 times
As a former owner of a cement siding house, there are a few problems to mention (but not enough to damped my love of the product)

1. Caulking between seams can start to gap over time, so have a tall ladder or be prepared to hire someone to fix it
2. Not enough trim available (this may have changed since my house was built) - they had to use other materials for the trim which still required painting. We eventually had to replace a lot when it was time to sell that house.

We really liked it when we had it. Just a yearly power washing was all that was needed.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:35 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,368,457 times
have hardy plank on house built in Summer '04 and it is much better than vinyl or aluminum siding. You don't have to paint as often. Some insurance companies give you the brick discount since sideing is fir resistant. My painter says that my siding doesn't need painting yet (5-1/2yrs so far) but I see one side of house where the caulking between seams has deteriated. I need trim (i.e. wood windows) painted this year though and not sure if painter can just fillin in with matching color caulk or if I have to caulk and paint the siding. I think the HP is a great product although my front of house is brick, I wish I would have gone all side brick just to not have ANY maintenance.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:40 AM

169 posts, read 473,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
As a former owner of a cement siding house, there are a few problems to mention (but not enough to damped my love of the product)

1. Caulking between seams can start to gap over time, so have a tall ladder or be prepared to hire someone to fix it
2. Not enough trim available (this may have changed since my house was built) - they had to use other materials for the trim which still required painting. We eventually had to replace a lot when it was time to sell that house.

We really liked it when we had it. Just a yearly power washing was all that was needed.
Thanks, msm_teacher. Did you have the siding painted too before you sold the house? How much did it cost?

Also, did you go to vinyl or brick with your next house?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:07 AM

407 posts, read 846,615 times
We replaced the 4 year old cedar shakes on our house with the Hardi Color Plus Shakes. They still look great after 2 years and are guaranteed color fast for 15 years. The thin cedar shake planks that were on were dried out, bowed, cracked, and in desperate need of repair and painting. An estimate to repair and paint was almost as much as what we payed for the permanent fix.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 AM

972 posts, read 2,434,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom View Post
Thanks, msm_teacher. Did you have the siding painted too before you sold the house? How much did it cost?

Also, did you go to vinyl or brick with your next house?
The house was 8 years old at the time. We had several painters out to discuss options. No one thought the siding needed to be painted. A good power washing did the trick. We did have all the trim, gutters and shutters painted. A lot of the trim around doors had to be replaced or repaired. I *think* we spend about $2500, definitely less than $3,000. Our realtor said to not bother with the caulking unless a buyer asked for it, which they didn't.

We went mostly brick this time, with a bit of vinyl. If all things had been equal with another house with cement siding, we would have gone with the cement. But, there were too many wonderful things in this house to pass it up for the siding!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 PM

291 posts, read 866,047 times
We live at the coast of NC....our Hardiplank cement siding has been on our home since it was built in 1996 - we have been through about 10 hurricanes with the siding and it has been wonderful....We have had it painted and caulked once since the original painting after the home was built. We are real fans of Hardiplank!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 AM

385 posts, read 886,057 times
Just a general note. The manufacturer has very specific guidelines on how to and how not to apply caulk on the seams. The is esp true of the prepainted palnks. It has to due with "tooling" the caulk line. Its a decent question to ask yr painter next time.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 10,458 times
Question Cracks on the siding

My 2008 house that I bought the same year have cracks on some of the sidings around the house. Also, the corners are separating and in some areas the caulk is an issue too.

My previous house (I just sold last year), that we replace the old sidings with hardi plank is still looking like new and without issues. I only had one section that came loose, but the company that did the job fix it free of charge because the warranty on the labor was still good (they gave me a 5 year on labor). They said it was an installation problem.

With the cracks in my present house, the construction supervisor excuse was that the installation warranty was only good for one year . I thought any new house have a two year warranty on the construction and frame of the house?

My point is, is this an installation failure or a quality issue?

The hardi plank in my previuos house (almost 10 years old) looks in better shape than my new house (5 years old).

I still believe Hardi plank is a good investment, but you should make sure you invest the time in getting a good and certify installation company.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM

385 posts, read 724,340 times
You definitely want to get a Hardie certified installer. 99% of bad looking fiber cement siding (or water issues) is due to improper installation.

Here's JH's installation guide: James Hardie: Product Instructions | Residential Siding from James Hardie

Make sure your installer uses joint flashing (not caulk) where boards meet. Also important that the installer leave a minimum of 1.25" overlap.

It's an awesome product! Just make sure the installer does it right or it can look as bad as vinyl siding (well, not that bad).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte