Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 AM

41 posts, read 55,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We don't hate you honey - we hate the bad attitudes some of you have

Since you are so miserable can I assume you are preparing to move back to NY?
Well Honey...Im not one of the bad attitudes & still feel the "southern hospitality"...I go to stores and when I say hello, how are you?... You look down and say fine...but the person behind me gets "Hi how are you! have a blessed day"!...Guess where they are from!

Last year...I got followed by a security guard at a bookstore into the bathroom...I do not fit any particular profile except muscular white yankee! I was wearing my business unform (which consists of a dress shirt, name tag and slacks) and I confronted him on it...his tune changed..talked for 15 minutes..very nice but very passive aggressive on his part..the conversation ended "I cant f&%ing stand all these northern yankee liberals coming here!"

And yes...either Fla or NY is in my future...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 11:36 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyMet View Post
....and have been stabbed in the back on numerous occasions here as well. Ny was never like this...neither fla...and the southerners say then leave! very christian of ya! Just my 2 cents...think about moving here before you do....No Jobs...no fun & 0 culture...
Sounds like you've had a rough go down here. Sorry to hear that. And many of the things you listed in your post, I too have encountered down here.

So I know you have some legitimate points.

You're wrong about the zero culture thing. For those types of people (the backstabbers, cowards, constant badmouthers, constant rumor mongers and constant drama queens/troublemakers), THAT IS their culture!!!!

A culture of contant strife, cowardice and trash-talking (behind everyone's backs, of course. Never fact-to-face, of course). But those types I have seen plenty of in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. As well as here in North Carolina. I've even experienced those types in New Jerseyians how move down here. They are every where, sad to say.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling you landed in an unusually high concentration area of ......cough....cough -holes and ....the J-Offs.

Sometimes there are areas where these type of people gather (like magnets or a horde of moths to the flame), in disturbingly high concentrations.

They're like hundreds of parasites gathering at one spurting artery.

Beleive me, I know what you mean. I came across a lot of these types when I first moved down here; in the Mount Holly/Belmont/Gastonia area.

Typically, they're very jealous, envious and hateful people.

There are a lot of wonderful native people down here. Don't let that unusually high concentration of maggots cloud your thinking and judgement.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:55 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Quote:
... I have had run ins with southerners sizing me up...guys come on, I am 6 foot 2 and 241 with plenty of life experience, the last thing anyone wants is there ass handed to them. I have encounted my neighbors throwing a block party and literally shunning me (back towards me) when I got home yesterday.....but looking at the difference between them and me is like night and day. The dating scene here is nada...been out there and the attitudes in Ballantyne (where I live)..........
My point is too many personalities...too many bible belters...not enough jobs....dating is horrible..nightlife is listed as the worst in the nation (according to forbes.com for the 4th year in a row). The answer is yes....the southerners do hate us....trust me!
Son, there are no Southerners in Ballantyne. It's 99.9% transplants. I do however recommend that you return to the place from whence you came. Your expectations vs the realities of living here are never going to match.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I have heard NJ folks complain about the "Guidos" back home . . . so I feel sure if I were to move to NJ and run into those types, I would be rolling my eyes.

There are groups of silly-acting and sometimes even vicious folks everywhere. Usually, in neighborhoods with a high concentration of educated residents, people are well-mannered and civilized, lol. You just have to choose where to live. Well-educated, professional folks typically are good neighbors, regardless of where they grew up, relocated from, etc.

I, myself, made the mistake of temporarily locating myself amongst a group of uneducated, suspicious, mean-spirited Southerners at one point in my life . . . it happens. I just got out as quickly as I could and determined to be more aware of where I was planting myself in the future.

Idiots (as well as bigots) have no geographic boundary.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Son, there are no Southerners in Ballantyne. It's 99.9% transplants. I do however recommend that you return to the place from whence you came. Your expectations vs the realities of living here are never going to match.
Im not only talking about ballantyne....I am talking all over charlotte. Ballantyne is not 99.9 percent transplant....dead wrong about....the people who work here are southerners...the members of my gym are mostly southerners....right across where I get gas in SC are all southerners...Im not just saying NC natives...I am talking southerners...If you were to meet me in person, I assure you that it would be a pleasurable experience and you would not detect any attitude whatsoever...

Old 07-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Sounds like you've had a rough go down here. Sorry to hear that. And many of the things you listed in your post, I too have encountered down here.

So I know you have some legitimate points.

You're wrong about the zero culture thing. For those types of people (the backstabbers, cowards, constant badmouthers, constant rumor mongers and constant drama queens/troublemakers), THAT IS their culture!!!!

A culture of contant strife, cowardice and trash-talking (behind everyone's backs, of course. Never fact-to-face, of course). But those types I have seen plenty of in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. As well as here in North Carolina. I've even experienced those types in New Jerseyians how move down here. They are every where, sad to say.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling you landed in an unusually high concentration area of ......cough....cough -holes and ....the J-Offs.

Sometimes there are areas where these type of people gather (like magnets or a horde of moths to the flame), in disturbingly high concentrations.

They're like hundreds of parasites gathering at one spurting artery.

Beleive me, I know what you mean. I came across a lot of these types when I first moved down here; in the Mount Holly/Belmont/Gastonia area.

Typically, they're very jealous, envious and hateful people.

There are a lot of wonderful native people down here. Don't let that unusually high concentration of maggots cloud your thinking and judgement.
Thanks for the support.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Idiots (as well as bigots) have no geographic boundary.
Yup, yup...yep.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:52 PM

[quote=JoanD'Arc;14978042]I've been in Charlotte area for 6 years, after living in 4 other states. My take is that this location is still the Old South in many ways. In each southern state I have lived, including NC, it has taken much longer to get to know people and make real friends, having to prove ones self, where in the north it was always a give-and-take situation.
Also if you are not a far-right-wing Christian, you are in larger trouble from the start.
It's not uncommon to be asked what church I belong to when introduced to a new person.
IMHO the OP is on to something.

I agree 100 percent!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:00 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Quote:
Im not only talking about ballantyne....I am talking all over charlotte. Ballantyne is not 99.9 percent transplant....dead wrong about....the people who work here are southerners...the members of my gym are mostly southerners....right across where I get gas in SC are all southerners...Im not just saying NC natives...I am talking southerners...If you were to meet me in person, I assure you that it would be a pleasurable experience and you would not detect any attitude whatsoever...
It was a joke Son. (to use a quote from a very famous Southerner). I recommend you go find one of these Southerners that you speak of and ask him to sit down to a glass of buttermilk and a cold collard green sandwich. I do really do appreciate the reassurances about your memorable character and personality but there is absolutely no need. I can feel it coming through these internets.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
It was a joke Son. (to use a quote from a very famous Southerner). I recommend you go find one of these Southerners that you speak of and ask him to sit down to a glass of buttermilk and a cold collard green sandwich. I do really do appreciate the reassurances about your memorable character and personality but there is absolutely no need. I can feel it coming through these internets.
really dont get your sense of humor....comes off smug and arrogant...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte