Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:54 AM

31 posts, read 117,039 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to take a moment to say that I really appreciate all of you wonderful people here that are taking the time to help point us out-of-town folks in the right direction. Every time I post, I am overwhelmingly shocked by the amount of replies, and the attention you all put into your responses.

Now, about moving to Clt from Miami. I've been researching this hard-core for weeks now. Even with the cons of moving and living in Charlotte, the pros have made it my dream. Being a new Charlotte resident is in my heart now, and is the place I intend to spend the rest of my life. (Even if it becomes - God forbid - the next Miami.) As some of you know, my husband has been less than enthusiastic about moving again. We just moved (in '05) from central Jersey here. I've hated it here from day one. Soon after our son was born (Nov. 2006), I've been plagued by a depression that only gets worse, even with the treatment I'm on. I've explained to him the stress of living here is making me literally sick. Well, until yesterday, he brushed off my comments about moving, and didn't seem to care how I felt. He balked on our w/e trip, and complained about every date that I proposed to go check out the area. So, now, I'm not sure when in the hell we'll get a chance to go. I'm really feeling so defeated about this whole situation. Just hopeless really

Well, last night, he agreed that we'll move by Dec. 2008. While I'd like to be there yesterday, I considered it a small victory.

I'm sorry this got so long.......but PLEASE keep us in your prayers that everything will work out to make my dream, of a happy healthy future for myself and my family, in Charlotte come true.

Amy

Last edited by CharlotteBoundfromMiami; 06-21-2007 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: left something out...:)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:59 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,786,388 times
Well good Luck to you and Hubby with the newcomer in your life.
I was in the same situation with my wife about moving. Had to show her all the positive reasons to move to CLT. As well as the cost of living here in Central NJ is to much to afford.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 AM

192 posts, read 687,353 times
Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:55 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Same here guys but after I saw and did research I felt leaving NJ was the best thing as my dh wanted out of there a long time ago...

Old 06-21-2007, 09:09 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
Amy

As soon as you can book the weekend trip, let me explain this one.

I transferred with work, I still had to meet with the operations manager here, even though we had spoken on the phone.

So we arranged to come up for a long weekend and make sure we where making the right decision.

Wife was unsure, she had lived in Miami her entrie life.

She liked it up here, we however had not made a final decision.

We landed back in MIA and was driving on lejeune, people throwing trash out of their cars, spitting out the cars etc, while stuck in traffic at 3 in the afternoon, that was then when my wife realised the difference.

She has been here over a year now and yes she misses Miami, but is glad that we moved.

Sometimes it takes taking a step back to look at everything to see the whole picture, I truly believe that the weekend trip will do that do your husband.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 AM

536 posts, read 1,693,486 times
Thumbs up All the Right moves!

Hi CharlotteBoundfromMiami,

Their are alot of good people here with all the same baggage. It is an easier life than Miami or NY. Your husband should fall in love with it! My wife protested the first day we were here (it was rainy and gloomy), but between me and my two girls, we convinced her she was crazy, that this is more beautiful here than most of Long Island. Honestly, the only thing I miss is the beach, and with my body that not a place I should be seen at!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 AM

85 posts, read 281,648 times
Amy...make it your hobby to plan the entire move...the hardest parts are be behind you: deciding to move, and where...the rest will likely be pretty mechanical: set your price range, decide on the EXACT area, and what type of construction: new or existing...I'd also suggest that you coordinate a summer move to have time for EVERYBODY's adjustment to the new area and any possible delays with the whole process. Best of luck

Old 06-21-2007, 10:47 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,786,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbuilt28036 View Post
Amy...make it your hobby to plan the entire move...the hardest parts are be behind you: deciding to move, and where...the rest will likely be pretty mechanical: set your price range, decide on the EXACT area, and what type of construction: new or existing...I'd also suggest that you coordinate a summer move to have time for EVERYBODY's adjustment to the new area and any possible delays with the whole process. Best of luck
I would def. Suggest that both of you come out and check the place together. Unfortunately, I am the one that have been coming out and checking everything out, signed the paperwork and Came out to look at the options in the KB showroom. I can def. say it isn't a thrill to come out by yourself.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
I wish you the best of luck and I have read your previous post but my concern was you need more than a weekend trip to get a feel of the area especially if you might be traveling with the kids.

It is a long drive and for someone that isnt exactly sold then the drive will wear them down. Then two days are spent driving and that only leaves you two days to get a fill of the area and you would have to a very busy agenda to get around in two days. I just dont think that would be a fun way to check out a city.

Look at the bright side this area will have even nicer newer homes when you do decide to move here and a few more floridians and northerners here to become friends with.

I am a local but I always appreciate the idea of people looking for life happiness.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 AM

513 posts, read 2,111,704 times
I don't like hearing you say you are feeling so hopeless! And PPD can make any tough situation seem that much tougher. Maybe if you are progressively feeling more depressed despite treatment you need to see someone else (meaning another therapist) or change up your meds. I assume that you have been in therapy/gotten on meds since you indicated you've had treatment. I don't mean to get too personal, but I know a bit about this and was concerned by your post! Please PM me if you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte