Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:32 AM

17 posts, read 63,417 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! Right now, my fiance, our two children (3 and 1), and me are thinking about moving to Charlotte. My fiance is a software programmer and we were wondering if there are jobs there in that profession. Also, what are the public schools like (they can't be worse than FL, where we live now) and how is the cost of living compared to other cities, if anyone knows? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 AM

167 posts, read 689,598 times
krissic,

My kids would be shocked you would want to move away from Disneyworld.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 AM

239 posts, read 799,185 times
Default Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipbags View Post
krissic,

My kids would be shocked you would want to move away from Disneyworld.

It's not all it's cracked up to be. I'm in downtown Orlando and am just beginning to plan my escape from "Miami North"

We've been looking at Charlotte too.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:40 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,427 times
People from Florida keep in mind that we pay State income tax here on our earnings.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-22-2007 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: My mistake.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:26 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
People from Florida keep in mind that we pay State income tax here on our earnings.
Depending upon your filing status and your taxable income, the North Carolina tax rate ranges from 6 to 8.25 percent.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:46 PM

I am originally from MO, so I don't think the income tax will be too big of a shock. I've noticed rental houses seem A LOT cheaper than they are here! Can anyone tell me about crime in the Charlotte area? For instance, where should I stay away from?
LOL, zipbags, we'll miss Mickey, but it's not all it's cracked up to be!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:47 PM

oh and thank you sarahmotz, i will definitely ask if i have any more questions!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,129 times
I am very interested in this as well. I am in a suburb of Orlando and I am dying to get up to NC. I too am a programmer and will be moving next spring. I am not worried about state taxes as the housing is cheaper as are other things from what I can see.

I would be very interested in specific areas of Charlotte that are good for a family of 5 on a middle class income.

Is the area near the UNC campus a nice area?

Thanks

Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcoffe View Post
I am very interested in this as well. I am in a suburb of Orlando and I am dying to get up to NC. I too am a programmer and will be moving next spring. I am not worried about state taxes as the housing is cheaper as are other things from what I can see.

I would be very interested in specific areas of Charlotte that are good for a family of 5 on a middle class income.

Is the area near the UNC campus a nice area?

Thanks
What is known as the "University area" is nice - however, you do not want to actually live too close to the university - the crime against students is appalling. Look to live in areas off of Mallard Creek Rd north of WT Harris Blvd and you will be fine

Old 11-08-2007, 09:50 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmotz1 View Post
Hi my name is Sarah and I'm real estate agent in Charlotte. The schools are better than FL from what everyone has told me. I'm sure your husband can get a job. There are so many companies based in Charlotte - there's always work! I have a friend who moved from here to Tampa and she says the cost is about the same. It all depends if you live within Mecklenburg county or commute from the one of the neighboring counties.
I've lived here for 12 years and I love and can't imagine living somewhere else. Let me know if I can help!
Good LucK!
Sarah, there are many companies here, that is true. However, the job market tends to be very tight in our white collar industries. It is fine to be encouraging, but you might also want to remind people not to assume a job here is a done deal. Many people struggle for months trying to land something - better to do that before they move rather than once they get here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: