Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 AM

17 posts, read 97,389 times

Advertisements

interesting; how about schools? do they have good (even top rated schools) in any of those areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:55 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Yes, any of those areas will put you in the wealthier parts of Charlotte. They are all safe, have good schools, and are fairly close to uptown. Commute to South Park is not bad from any of them, but to uptown would not be fun. Check out Allen Tate Real Estate and search areas 5 and 10 in the Charlotte area, and areas 17 and 24 in SC. That will give you a better idea of what you are looking at.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:57 AM

17 posts, read 97,389 times
thanks for the link and the info! very informative

I have one last question. as I mentioned before me and my wife recently had a baby so she is not working and will perhaps not work for 2 or 3 years. Do you believe is possible to make it in Charlotte with a single income (87k), and still live in a nice decent area and be able to affort utilities, taxes, etc etc?

We do not have any expensive hobbies or activities, the only thing that we like to do other than the normal activities (going out to a restaurant once in a while, or to the movies, or to the gym), is going on vacation once a year but we dont spend crazy amounts, maybe something around 2 to 3 thousand dollars.

Would this be possible in your opinion?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:35 AM

174 posts, read 477,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
We moved here from FL and it's incredible the difference in my husband's paycheck after the state of NC gets their cut. The auto insurance is half of what it is in FL, but otherwise, not much different. The money that is taken out of his check for taxes would more than cover the auto insurance.
What about the huge cost for Homeowners Insurance in Florida vs. here? Here I pay about $500 / year for homeowners...I know in Florida it can be 4x as much due to the hurricane factor. Taxes are very much different also. If you buy a home in Florida I believe you pay 2% of the purchase price in taxes. At least that's what my brother-in law paid for his $300k home in Port St. Luce...his taxes were more than $6,000....here they would be about $3,870...so the more expensive your home is the more drastic the difference in taxes are.

Utilities can be more...although this is merely an opinon....I'm sure the AC runs non-stop year round...here you get about 2 1/2 months out of the year where your windows are open and you dont need heat or ac...that has to be worth some sort of yearly savings compared to running central air practically year round.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:19 PM

461 posts, read 985,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1234 View Post
thanks for the link and the info! very informative

I have one last question. as I mentioned before me and my wife recently had a baby so she is not working and will perhaps not work for 2 or 3 years. Do you believe is possible to make it in Charlotte with a single income (87k), and still live in a nice decent area and be able to affort utilities, taxes, etc etc?

We do not have any expensive hobbies or activities, the only thing that we like to do other than the normal activities (going out to a restaurant once in a while, or to the movies, or to the gym), is going on vacation once a year but we dont spend crazy amounts, maybe something around 2 to 3 thousand dollars.

Would this be possible in your opinion?
Absolutely! We (Wife, son, self) live in the SouthPark area and make it just fine on 50k.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I just moved from central florida three months ago and did so on my own and furniture and boxes and a full storage unit only costs me 1200.00 . I moved from florida to Ohio whIch I am sure is about the same distance as you are thinking about moving and we are doing fine on a single salary . Im sure north carolina is probably cheaper than Ohio too . Good luck whatever you decide to do . Just be prepared for a winter that you dont have in south florida .

Old 05-21-2016, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,012 times
[quote=ss1234;15016985]I just got a job offer in Charlotte. I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida; I am married and we have a little baby (10 months)

My current salary in Fort Lauderdale is 95,000; my company pays for medical benefits (I get no deductions from my salary at all for neither me nor my wife and baby, so basically its free). Also, they contribute to a retirement account (about 15,000 a year) on top of my salary; and the company offers free lunch to its employees every day (for free).

The job offer I got in Charlotte is for 87,000, I would have to pay monthly medical benefits for me and my family under a regular healthcare plan (I estimate about 200 deducted from my paycheck every 2 weeks, plus co pays). I do not get free lunch, and only 4% matching in a 401k plan.

Also, I am in a field in which I could get other potential offers fairly soon (not in Charlotte, but anywhere in the US); so I know I could wait for other options.

I understand Charlotte is cheaper and the job being offered is pretty much my dream job, however I am not sure it makes financial sense; clearly I am taking a pay cut but given I do not know how much cheaper Charlotte is I cannot properly estimate how much my pay cut is. I am ok with letting the free lunch and 15,000 extra money in retirement accounts go (and also paying for healthcare instead of being free). But even in that case I am not sure if I will be going down in pay too much.

Recently the company that offered me the job (which originally told me will assist with relocation) told me they will only give me 1,500 for relocation. My estimates are that it cost about 6 to 7 thousand dollars to relocate from south Florida to charlotte, so I am very disappointed with this. I am starting to question if this is right for me and my family.

Any feedback is very welcome. Just for the record, what I am looking for is a very fulfilling job (which it appears to be) and a family oriented place in which we can raise our daughter (and less hectic than Florida). Also I am in field in which I know this is not my only option, and I could find something else (anywhere in the US) in a couple of m20 years ago when the cost of living wa

Old 05-21-2016, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,012 times
Hello.. I know I'm replying to an old post but I hope you made the right decision. I sincerely believe that leaving South Florida and moving to Charlotte would be your best decision for you and your family. The salary and benefits that your currently making is very good but that is what it basically cost to live somewhat comftorable in the Ft Lauderdale area with bringing up children and putting them through school. I have been living in Davie for over twenty years and make about the same salary, very nice yearly bonus, 401K matched 100% up to 6%, Company Stock, health, dental, eye, care, long and short term disability, life insurance which I do have to pay for but thanks to my company they pay a generous 90% of that cost. With that being said I make just enough to get by bringing up four children and just live in a small 2 story, 1800 sq foot home that costs a small fortune to maintain between the mortgage, taxes, and insurance that are outrageous. Needless to say I save very little and live pay check to pay check without living beyond my means. If I had the opportunity I wouldn't hesitate to take that job offer which you will find to be a much better place to live and bring up your children. The pay you were offered will allow you to really enjoy life and be in a much better place. Florida is nothing like it use to be when the cost of living was much cheaper and was a nice place to live and bring up your children. I am looking forward to moving out of here when my youngest daughter graduates in 2019.
Anyway, I wish you the best and hope your decision worked out the best for you.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:48 AM

78 posts, read 163,066 times
I pay $750 now for rent compared to $440 when I was over in Cape Coral. It seems much higher here than anywhere I've stayed in Florida (16 years living there.) Housing prices are much higher in nicer areas, unless you want to live in northern Charlotte.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:52 AM

160 posts, read 205,944 times
It is best to change jobs with a pay-hike...this is typical. I understand this is the job you want but regardless 87k should be fine. We moved from Jacksonville, Florida and it has been great in Charlotte. To start off on renting in a decent area close to south park or Ballantyne the rent can range from $1300(Apartment) - $1600 (Single Family Home). So just keep this in mind when taking a pay-cut. Regardless Charlotte is a great place to settle down but my suggestion is wait to get a higher paying job or the same pay when you make a move. Also owning a car has a property tax and that was a surprise for us when we moved to Florida. Waxhaw is a great place to settle but you are looking at anywhere between 40 - 60 minute commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte