Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,985 times

Advertisements

Hi all:
I have a nest in the ground near my mailbox. Any suggestions on getting rid of the bees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
The most effective way I know is to unload a can of hornet/yellow jacket spray into the nest. Do this at night when they're settled down.

Scratch that, the most effective way is to turn a raccoon loose near the nest. They will completely dig up the nest and eat them like candy, leaving nothing but a hole in the ground. Maybe you could rent a raccoon?

Old 07-16-2010, 06:02 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
Largest pot you have of boiling water (might have to do it twice) .

Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,957 times
Get yourself a can of gas. Find the exit hole in the ground. Usually yellow jackets have an exit and entry hole in the ground so it is ideal if you can locate both. When you find this pour a little gas down the hole. Step back and light a match. Throw the match down the hole. No more problems after that. Be sure to do this at night when they are dormant. The scary thing about yellow jackets is you never know how large the nest is because it is underground. This method has always worked for me.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:28 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
The gas method is what I have used in the past. I am sure it violates some sort of law, though.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
OMG! You people are horrible! OP, have you tried calling a pest control company? I'm sure there's a more humane way to eliminate, or possibly relocate the wasps.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:56 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
OMG! You people are horrible! OP, have you tried calling a pest control company? I'm sure there's a more humane way to eliminate, or possibly relocate the wasps.
I guess you could try sweet talking them out of there. Seriously though...there are probably more humane ways of getting rid of them.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
These aren't like honey bees. Yellow jackets are DANGEROUS!! They are one of the few wasps/hornets that will sting you completely unprovoked. And they don't just sting, they bite and sting repeatedly just to make sure you get the point. There can be hundreds of them in a nest and they are hard to get rid of because they nest in cavities, sometimes inaccessible to traditional sprays. Now, maybe you want to negotiate or try to relocate the nasty little buggers but death by gas and flame is no more or less 'humane' than death by poison spray or powder.

We had a nest in the outside wall of the house, there was a small gap by the hose spigot and that was the entry point. We could not even open the garage door because the vibration sent them into a rage. That was in the spring when the colony was small. By the end up summer the nests can easily triple in size, or more. Now, we obviously couldn't gas them and we couldn't spray in the small hole so we had to call an exterminator. He came in a full bee suit because they know well how dangerous angry yellow jackets can be. There is no 'relocation' program...they aren't that cooperative.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
The gas method is what I have used in the past. I am sure it violates some sort of law, though.

The law of common sense perhaps? Gas is much more volatile and flammable than what most people are used to, say... lighter fluid. Easy to blow yourself up or catch yourself on fire. But really, would poisoning a yellow jacket with a neurotoxin (watch them twitch and die) be more "humane" than burning them with gasoline?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:13 PM

136 posts, read 327,563 times
Not so sure if it is humane for the bee, but we spray that foam (in a can- not sure if the proper name but you use it seal it holes around your house). We spray in the hole and whatever is left in the nest dies, and the rest of the bees that are outside can get in.

We had a nest under the fence at the gate so whenever the family would goto the pool, the vibrations peed off the little boogers.... and after being (all of us) stung at the beginning of the summer, we unleashed the rest of our foam can. Thank goodness none of us are allergic.... found out that none of the kids are allergic since none of them had been stung before when all of this happened... so we consider ourselves lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte