Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM

174 posts, read 403,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
If you look at the cover of the Observer online, you can see what I mean about how dirty it is. Just concrete and signage. The ground is always covered in litter and there is absolutely no potted plants or anything to make it look inviting to anything but a drunken college kid in the dark. This place needs to attract a wider audience or it's doomed.
I agree. My taste for this place is quickly being deminished each time I go. I used to love to go to the movies and Mez, but it has been nothing but a drunken college party the last few times I've been. If that's what they want, that's fine, but that's not who carries the heavy wallets in this town. Just not good business sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I hope it continues having WEC and MMA matches

Old 07-16-2010, 11:28 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Exactly. At the end of the day, it’s not going to mean anything to anyone except Ghazi. People are trying to imply this thing is going into foreclosure because people aren’t supporting it. That couldn’t be further from the truth. Business is brisk there. Its going into foreclosure because Ghazi is a terrible businessman. I’ve been critical of him before on this board and predicted this would happen. He’s a shyster IMO. Bottom line, his business model was dependant on that condo tower getting built, and he gave huge rent concessions to many of those tenants. His cash flow is not meeting the requiements of his financing. Regions may restructure him, but they're stupid if they do. The worst that will happen is it will be sold to someone else who will run it. And even if some tenants have to be replaced, others will come in. Look at all the businesses opening up Uptown that aren’t in the EpiCentre.
It just amazes me how everytime some sort of perceived "negative news" comes out, that you have the "anti-everything" crowd ready to do some hallelujah dance b/c it's like that confirms to them that these projects they were are so against is about to go under. Did anyone see that idiotic article by Tara Servatius in Creative Loafing the other day? That is what I'm talking about! The fact of the matter is, these people hate that Charlotte isn't the Old South, backward hick town it used to be and they want to see its demise, and it is unfortunate that these people have such hate for their own community, if they even live in Charlotte to begin with!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 07-16-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
...Did anyone see that idiotic article by Tara Servatius in Creative loafing the other day? That is what I'm talking about!...

Linky?

Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Linky?
I haven't been able to master uploading the links on here yet, but you can go to the Creative Loafing Charlotte website and that article should still be on there. It should still be up for the rest of the week! Title of the article is "Is Uptown Going Down?"

Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 AM

905 posts, read 3,453,375 times
Link to CL article:

Series of events raises questions about Uptown | Charlotte | News | Citizen Servatius

Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM

308 posts, read 617,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
It just amazes me how everytime some sort of perceived "negative news" comes out, that you have the "anti-everything" crowd ready to do some hallelujah dance b/c it's like that confirms to them that these projects that they are so against is about to go under. Did anyone see that idiotic article by Tara Servatius in Creative loafing the other day? That is what I'm talking about! The fact of the matter is, these people hate that Charlotte isn't the Old South, backward hick town it used to be and they want to see its demise, and it is unfortunate that these people have such hate for their own community, if they even live in Charlotte to begin with!
As an outsider, it appears to me that you might have a chip on your shoulder and have difficulty dealing with those with an opposing opinion. If Charlotte had been a backward hick town, etc. it would have never evolved to its current status as a leading American business destination. It has all been attributed to the aggressive banking motivations and other enterprising endeavours in this area. There is an old saying, "Where there is no friction, there is no movement". That applies to this city as well as all other things. Many people are reluctant to change and love things the way they were. That is human nature and doesn't make them bad. The fact that the Epicenter is being forclosed on doesn't mean that it is closing or that business has been bad, it only means that someone isn't making payments. People are going to jump to conclusions. I think that the Epicenter is a great place and has added to making Charlotte a party town. There are other great areas like the NC Music Factory for those that want a change. As for myself, I have a great time on fifth street alone. Let people ***** and complain. They have earned that privilege and they might even be right on various issues. As for me, I want it all but respect those that don't.

The fact is that older people have lived without light rail, Epicenter, stadiums, and other venues before. Many are too old to use them now and aren't agreeable to paying taxes for things of no use to them. It is nature, not being backwards.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Series of events raises questions about Uptown | Charlotte | News | Citizen Servatius

All you have to do is copy/paste the URL into your reply...

This article is so ridiculous I don't even know where to start.

WTH does Reid's closing have to do with the success/failure of the light rail?

Eastland Mall isn't even *close* to Uptown (which was the basis of the article)!

Oh, wow, struggling banks have decided to stop funding the free streetcar? Who would have seen that coming!

And I could give a crap if the CEO of BoA still lives in Boston. That's 1 job - he can stay there, if they keep the rest here.

Sheesh!

Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
As an outsider, it appears to me that you might have a chip on your shoulder and have difficulty dealing with those with an opposing opinion. If Charlotte had been a backward hick town, etc. it would have never evolved to its current status as a leading American business destination. It has all been attributed to the aggressive banking motivations and other enterprising endeavours in this area. There is an old saying, "Where there is no friction, there is no movement". That applies to this city as well as all other things. Many people are reluctant to change and love things the way they were. That is human nature and doesn't make them bad. The fact that the Epicenter is being forclosed on doesn't mean that it is closing or that business has been bad, it only means that someone isn't making payments. People are going to jump to conclusions. I think that the Epicenter is a great place and has added to making Charlotte a party town. There are other great areas like the NC Music Factory for those that want a change. As for myself, I have a great time on fifth street alone. Let people ***** and complain. They have earned that privilege and they might even be right on various issues. As for me, I want it all but respect those that don't.

The fact is that older people have lived without light rail, Epicenter, stadiums, and other venues before. Many are too old to use them now and aren't agreeable to paying taxes for things of no use to them. It is nature, not being backwards.
No, I do not have a chip on my shoulder, and I've seen a lot of people over the years whine and complain over every issue in which will help make Charlotte a better and progressive community. And it never fails that it is the same group of people who are against everything, hence I call them the "Anti-Everything" crowd! People are entitled to voice their opinions, however, I have a hard time understanding those who all they do is complain about everything! I mean, take a look at some of the comments that hurled about on the Observer blogs, it's like if Charlotte is that bad of a place, then why are you still living there, that's what I'm getting at.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

All you have to do is copy/paste the URL into your reply...

This article is so ridiculous I don't even know where to start.

WTH does Reid's closing have to do with the success/failure of the light rail?

Eastland Mall isn't even *close* to Uptown (which was the basis of the article)!

Oh, wow, struggling banks have decided to stop funding the free streetcar? Who would have seen that coming!

And I could give a crap if the CEO of BoA still lives in Boston. That's 1 job - he can stay there, if they keep the rest here.

Sheesh!
See what I'm saying, holligan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte