Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:51 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Member View Post
We were also hoodwinked into using NVR mortgage services so we could receive the full benefit of free upgrades being offered.
While I had my own poor experience with NVR (as I've posted before), I fail to see how you were "hoodwinked" into using them. You were always free to choose your own lender. They offered certain incentived if you used NVR, but I wouldn't call that trickery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military Member View Post
I will never use NVR Mortgage, Settlement Services or any other service they say is separate, but they are all one big company with Ryan homes, ever again!
I'd be surprised if they presented NVR as being a separate company. The fact that NVR is Ryan's mortgage company should have been disclosed right off the bat. It was never a big secret when we dealt with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
I thought NVR mortgage shut down??

Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 AM

252 posts, read 879,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
While I had my own poor experience with NVR (as I've posted before), I fail to see how you were "hoodwinked" into using them. You were always free to choose your own lender. They offered certain incentived if you used NVR, but I wouldn't call that trickery.

I'd be surprised if they presented NVR as being a separate company. The fact that NVR is Ryan's mortgage company should have been disclosed right off the bat. It was never a big secret when we dealt with them.
I am a Real estate broker and I know that NVR was a Ryan owned mtge co. I negotiated to still get the incentives from Ryan if NVR could not match the interest rate and closing costs associated with the loan from other mortgage companies. They came up with the best rate 4.3 and zero points to beat out a large bank. I had the home inspected during construction and after completion. Everything was done to my clients satisfaction. Ryan is like any other builder, they are only as good as the sub-contractors. Now that business is slow you can get better subs because there is more competition for the fewer homes being built. I have seen million dollar custom homes become a disaster because of bad subs and lazy project managers, as well as loans with the big banks like Wachovia and BOA. It depends on how diligent and active your real estate agent is with the builders and how well informed he /she is about the mortgage rates and closing costs. If you let the project manager know up front that you are going to be on his donkey from start to finish you will most likely end up with a decent home and if you inform your client and the mortgage broker or loan officer that if they want your business you are not going to let your client pay many of the junk fees they add on, or a higher int rate than they can get elsewhere, you can get about the same deals with most lenders.

Last edited by rmorton; 05-29-2009 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-29-2009, 11:34 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,585 times
Well I have not had time to read the entire thread BUT when dealing with a broker ALWAYS ask if they are adding "yield spread" to the rate. You can actually see this on the second page of the final disclosure, it will say "ysp". If they do then they have added something to the rate you qualify for to earn extra money off you loan. Basically if you qualify for 3.75 and they can sell you 4.0 then they get an extra point off you loan. Nice huh? Unfortunately if you are dealing with a lender not a broker they do not have to disclose yield spread. Even nicer huh?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,637 times
Default Military Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

[FONT=Verdana]It is hoodwinked when you are given the high pressure sales pitch that using another company could jeopardize getting your house. Because of all the problems they've seen in the past when people used other companies with documents not being prepared properly or delivered on time.......[/FONT]

SURPRISE!!! [FONT=Verdana]We asked them directly and were repeatedly told that Ryan Homes and NVR were seperate companies; glad to hear you had a different experience.[/FONT]

Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorton View Post
I am a Real estate broker and I know that NVR was a Ryan owned mtge co. I negotiated to still get the incentives from Ryan if NVR could not match the interest rate and closing costs associated with the loan from other mortgage companies. They came up with the best rate 4.3 and zero points to beat out a large bank. I had the home inspected during construction and after completion. Everything was done to my clients satisfaction. Ryan is like any other builder, they are only as good as the sub-contractors. Now that business is slow you can get better subs because there is more competition for the fewer homes being built. I have seen million dollar custom homes become a disaster because of bad subs and lazy project managers, as well as loans with the big banks like Wachovia and BOA. It depends on how diligent and active your real estate agent is with the builders and how well informed he /she is about the mortgage rates and closing costs. If you let the project manager know up front that you are going to be on his donkey from start to finish you will most likely end up with a decent home and if you inform your client and the mortgage broker or loan officer that if they want your business you are not going to let your client pay many of the junk fees they add on, or a higher int rate than they can get elsewhere, you can get about the same deals with most lenders.
NVR owns Ryan.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,191 times
NVR mortgage practice seems to be not so straightforward. NVR ties the incentives to the mortgage. The mortgage in OH is serviced by another Bank (Third fifth of Cleveland in our case). The fees are high.
The points you pay for your loan are counted as "origination fees". The fixed cost in addition to that is about $2500. Beyond that, at the time of closing, you need to take interest + insurance at the time of closing. Oh! You also waive your rights for suing them after one year for any reason. This is what makes me very nervous.

Do not trust your buyer's agent. They collect money from the builder... so definitely a conflict of interest there... Retain a lawyer... no matter what.
Overall, not a pleasent experience...

Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recentbuyer View Post
NVR mortgage practice seems to be not so straightforward. NVR ties the incentives to the mortgage. The mortgage in OH is serviced by another Bank (Third fifth of Cleveland in our case). The fees are high.
The points you pay for your loan are counted as "origination fees". The fixed cost in addition to that is about $2500. Beyond that, at the time of closing, you need to take interest + insurance at the time of closing. Oh! You also waive your rights for suing them after one year for any reason. This is what makes me very nervous.
Or just use someone else instead of NVR for your mortgage.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,690 times
I live in Stonewater. Do not purchase a Ryan Home, here or anywhere. You may be happy the first 3 years or so, but then all hell breaks loose - right after your warranty expires (that ten year warranty that they promote is only on the STRUCTURE). Once the warranty expires (2 years on plumbing, HVAC, electrical) you are not their problem. It's happening to us right now and I know a lot of our neighbors are experiencing similar high-cost problems. Our issue is a very rarely used toilet on the second floor was installed improperly and we now have sewage leaking into our Study. What plumber doesn't know how to properly install a toilet?!?! Shoddy work. You may pay minimal dollars per square foot on the front end, but you'll be paying big bucks out of pocket to fix all the corners that they cut in the long run.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageglen View Post
I live in Stonewater. Do not purchase a Ryan Home, here or anywhere. You may be happy the first 3 years or so, but then all hell breaks loose - right after your warranty expires (that ten year warranty that they promote is only on the STRUCTURE). Once the warranty expires (2 years on plumbing, HVAC, electrical) you are not their problem. It's happening to us right now and I know a lot of our neighbors are experiencing similar high-cost problems. Our issue is a very rarely used toilet on the second floor was installed improperly and we now have sewage leaking into our Study. What plumber doesn't know how to properly install a toilet?!?! Shoddy work. You may pay minimal dollars per square foot on the front end, but you'll be paying big bucks out of pocket to fix all the corners that they cut in the long run.
This doesn't happen to everyone.

Didn't you have an inspector check the work being done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte