Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:35 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,035,944 times

Advertisements

So I went to the Honda dealership today to get an oil change. They call me a couple hours later telling me whoever did the last oil change overtightened the torque and all the threads were stripped and falling out!! Now I have over $400 worth of damage to repair as it needs a new oil pan.

What should I do?
I was thinking of taking pictures of whatever I can as Honda said it was too late in the day to fix the car now (they were closing). And then trying to get the original place to pay this bill. I'm so upset. I mean who screws up an oil change?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 04:57 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,509,951 times
First of all, so sorry that this happened to you. Take pictures and document everything. I would talk to the service manager to begin with. After that, if you get no where ask to speak to the GM of the Dealership. If it is a decent dealership, they should go overboard to make things right.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,107,051 times
Who did the previous oil change? If you can document it, then you may have a case. The reality is there is no way to prove who made the mistake, so that's what you're up against.

If you don't completely understand what the $400 is for, get someone who does to go with you. Replacing an oilpan is not $400, and if it wasn't leaking oil before you brought it in, then why replace it? Once a bolt is cross threaded, that's how it will continue to be put in. The oil drain bolt on my F150 was crossthreaded when I bought it 8 years ago, and it's never leaked a drop.

Unfortunately this happens more often than one might assume.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,308,148 times
I would definitely say $400 for a new oil pan + labor is in the ballpark at a Honda dealership.

If you are one to do things yourself you can probably find a used oil pan at a junkyard for cheap and put it on yourself, they come off easy. Messy, but easy.

Better yet while you are doing that why not just do your own oil changes.

Over tightening is normal because most el-cheapo shops (like the one you want to) don't use new crush washers and have to really tighten the bolt to get it to not leak.

To the above poster, the threads are stripped not cross-threaded.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

To the above poster, the threads are stripped not cross-threaded.
Good point, but if the threads were stripped to the point that the bolt(s) are falling out, then the oil would have drained out as well. I think we dont' have all the facts yet.

It's simply not convenient and definitely not cost effective for most people to change their own oil. It may cost a little less but factor in the time, mess, dealing with used oil, the relative danger (and expense) of putting the car on jackstands or ramps) etc., and it's not worth the hassle for most people.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:46 PM

2,948 posts, read 6,995,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It's simply not convenient and definitely not cost effective for most people to change their own oil. It may cost a little less but factor in the time, mess, dealing with used oil, the relative danger (and expense) of putting the car on jackstands or ramps) etc., and it's not worth the hassle for most people.
Have you ever priced a synthetic oil change? Yup, since I switched my car to synthetic, it is now more cost efficient to do my own changes. Our non-synthetic vehicle still goes into the oil change shop.

OP, it would be worth going into the last place you had the oil change done and speak with the manager. No, you can't technically prove they were the last ones under the car, but your car maintenance records will show they were the last ones under there. Many years ago when I was broke and had to do cheap oil changes, I took it into the Walmart nearby. They over-tightened the oil filter and broke a the filter gasket, my oil dumped the next day. Not only was I able to take it into a repair shop of my choice to determine how if any damage was done and get new filter and oil, but the manager of W's auto dept gave me a written letter stating any related damages would be covered by W. Best of luck.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Have you ever priced a synthetic oil change? Yup, since I switched my car to synthetic, it is now more cost efficient to do my own changes. Our non-synthetic vehicle still goes into the oil change shop.

OP, it would be worth going into the last place you had the oil change done and speak with the manager. No, you can't technically prove they were the last ones under the car, but your car maintenance records will show they were the last ones under there. Many years ago when I was broke and had to do cheap oil changes, I took it into the Walmart nearby. They over-tightened the oil filter and broke a the filter gasket, my oil dumped the next day. Not only was I able to take it into a repair shop of my choice to determine how if any damage was done and get new filter and oil, but the manager of W's auto dept gave me a written letter stating any related damages would be covered by W. Best of luck.
Think about it-the only difference between a synthetic change and a normal change is the cost difference of the oil, not the labor. If synthetic pricing spiked to $100 a quart, it would still take exactly the same amount of time and effort to change it as it does the $2 a quart oil. So it shouldn't be costing you any more for labor, regardless of what oil you're putting back in. If it is, you're not doing your due diligence regarding pricing.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:30 PM

2,948 posts, read 6,995,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Think about it-the only difference between a synthetic change and a normal change is the cost difference of the oil, not the labor. If synthetic pricing spiked to $100 a quart, it would still take exactly the same amount of time and effort to change it as it does the $2 a quart oil. So it shouldn't be costing you any more for labor, regardless of what oil you're putting back in. If it is, you're not doing your due diligence regarding pricing.
I can purchase a 5qt container of synthetic for $25 or less from several area stores. My car uses 3.4qts. Likewise, I can get non-syn oil 5qt for $15-25 depending on the store, brand and if it is on sale. Truly, the price is comparable. Over the course of 1 yr if I do 1 oil change every 3 months, 3 purchases of one 5qt will cover 4 oil changes for a year. Round that up, lets say $75. Filter is under $10 x 4 = 40 + 75 = $115 or less I'm am spending per year doing them myself. The cheapest synthetic oil change is Walmart at $55 (I think?), and the price goes up from there depending on where you go. I was at Valvoline today and saw their full synthetic was $70. One of the dealerships I was at earlier this year charges $86. Say I cheap out and do $55 x 4 = $220 .. assuming I want to get it done at Walmart, and really, I don't. The inflated cost is because the shops can inflate the cost, not because the syn oil is that much more expensive.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:30 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,035,944 times
I had no idea going to those express places would do a bad job. I've been going for years and never had a problem. And the thing is, this place wasn't even cheap! It would have been the same price at the dealership. I just was on South Blvd in May doing some shopping and noticed my car needed an oil change, so I just stopped by at one of those express places. Ugh, lesson learned, I should have just kept driving and stopped at my dealership instead.

I only went in today because the maintenance required light came on. I just assumed it was just a service reminder. This is the second time it came on since I've owned the car (about 4 years) and I was told it doesn't mean anything. So I went there for them to just turn it off and then they realized my inspection was due this month. So I was like ok do that. Then I was like let me check if I need an oil change. So I checked the mileage and it was due for one. So I told them to do that.
It's like going to walmart, you go in for one thing and end up with like 5 other things lol.

Anyway, I also just checked my garage to see if any oil dripped. I do now see some black marks but I don't think I park there as it's in front of the garbage can and I usually park next to it. But I'm not sure...

Last edited by sheenie2000; 07-17-2010 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: edited amt of yrs i owned the car

Old 07-17-2010, 06:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,778,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
So I went to the Honda dealership today to get an oil change. They call me a couple hours later telling me whoever did the last oil change overtightened the torque and all the threads were stripped and falling out!! Now I have over $400 worth of damage to repair as it needs a new oil pan.

What should I do?
I was thinking of taking pictures of whatever I can as Honda said it was too late in the day to fix the car now (they were closing). And then trying to get the original place to pay this bill. I'm so upset. I mean who screws up an oil change?!!
That happened to me once at Sears Automotive. They did fix the damage since they caused it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte