U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 02:02 PM

70 posts, read 338,963 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've grew up my entire life on the West Coast....and am now in Portland, Oregon. My husband is from Atlanta and has been wanting to return to the South for many years. Well, he finally talked me into moving to the Charlotte Metro area (I won't move to Atlanta!) and our house goes on the market in one week.

I've visited Charlotte many times but I'm worried about the West/East coast differences that you can't experience from a few days visit. Are these out-dated stereotypes? Or, is there some truth to them? Are there any other West coast transplants living in Charlotte that can give me their advice?

Also, I'm thinking of moving to the burbs! Weddington looks good....I've already lived in areas similar to Charlotte's Dilworth/Myers Park areas and now that I have small children......I'm of the "been there-done that" mentality. Besides, living in the burbs isn't bad as long as you work in the burbs too. I just like being close to a big city for cultural events and other entertainment that only big cities can offer.

Here's my biggest clincher: I want a diverse (varied house plans/people), newer (last 20yrs) development, preferably without HOAs....or if it has HOAs, does not prohibit rooftop solar panels or a clothes line in the backyard. I want to be able to see my neighbors so I don't want too much space...def less than 5 acres. My price range is upto $800K. I'm willing to do major renovations and I require mature trees. It startles me to see so many new developments with stark yards full of grass and mega-mansion style homes. I'm looking to be as green as possible while getting a large house that blends in a bit more!

Weddington is about as far out as I wanna go. Can anyone give me specific neighborhood names or of other green building areas?

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 02:16 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,767,350 times
You MAY run into some of those stereotypes in Weddington because it is pretty far from the city. Charlotte has very few stereotypes due to so many people from everywhere that live here.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:59 AM

622 posts, read 1,584,214 times
Default West Coast Move

I moved to the Charlotte area 6 years ago from the San Francisco area. My wife had the same trepidations that you do regarding our acceptance in the area and the attitudes directed towards us.

Was she suprised! We have found nothing but caring people and a lifestyle that amazed us. We did not want to live too close to the city and yet be able to access it in a reasonable amount of time. As our visitors usually fly into the area, we also wanted easy access to the airport.

We have settled in the town of Lake Wylie, SC (SE of Charlotte) and love it. We wanted a suburban area with a diversity of home choices and found exactly what we wanted in this area. We prefer to drive (10-15 min) to shopping malls, rather than having them come to us. We also wanted trees and a lake environment and it's all here.

We enjoy an excellent school system (Clover School district) and also enjoy the advantages of a lower tax base.

There are a diversityof home choices in the area (subdivisions and individual communities). If you are looking at a subdivision, I highly recommend you ask pointed questions about their restrictions. Some even dictate where you can place a satellite dish!

If you need specifics on the area, PM me and I will do my best to answer your questions.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,376,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
I moved to the Charlotte area 6 years ago from the San Francisco area. My wife had the same trepidations that you do regarding our acceptance in the area and the attitudes directed towards us.

Was she suprised! We have found nothing but caring people and a lifestyle that amazed us. We did not want to live too close to the city and yet be able to access it in a reasonable amount of time. As our visitors usually fly into the area, we also wanted easy access to the airport.

We have settled in the town of Lake Wylie, SC (SE of Charlotte) and love it. We wanted a suburban area with a diversity of home choices and found exactly what we wanted in this area. We prefer to drive (10-15 min) to shopping malls, rather than having them come to us. We also wanted trees and a lake environment and it's all here.

We enjoy an excellent school system (Clover School district) and also enjoy the advantages of a lower tax base.

There are a diversityof home choices in the area (subdivisions and individual communities). If you are looking at a subdivision, I highly recommend you ask pointed questions about their restrictions. Some even dictate where you can place a satellite dish!

If you need specifics on the area, PM me and I will do my best to answer your questions.
This is a good post. My brother and his family live in the Lake Wylie/Clover and love it. There are other good areas as well (Harrisburg/Ft. Mill/Belmont/Lake Norman area).

I'm a native to the area and was wondering what stereotypes you were worried about? Maybe I can help. This is a very accepting area with a nice mix of people who get along well. This was also the case BEFORE the big influx of newcommers to the area back in the 80's. I just don't want you to think the newbies already here are welcomming, and we natives aren't. Good luck and welcome!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:06 PM

11 posts, read 39,314 times
There are many neighborhoods that would fit your description and price point. Providence Plantation is one that comes to mind. I grew up there, and it's a big neighborhood with a lot of variety. Many of the homes are on an acre or more, and a lot have been built in the last couple decades. Most yards have tons of mature trees. So there's lots of privacy, plus it's not too far out (still in Charlotte). The HOA isn't too restrictive from what I understand. I know of houses that have solar panels on top, and I doubt there'd be any problem with a clothesline, especially because there's so much privacy and it wouldn't be visible anyways in a lot of the lots.

There are also many little pockets in South Charlotte where there are homes on big lots that aren't part of an actual subdivision. Since land values are rising, they can get expensive, but $800k can get a lot still.

Good luck! And pop me a message if you'd like me to email you some examples of homes in these areas.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 AM

70 posts, read 338,963 times
Thanks to everyone for their comments. My husband is from the South and he expected everyone to chime in with negative comments on why not to move to charlotte! He said he should pay you all for your positive comments...since he is the one trying to convince me that the move is a good idea! HA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte