U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:50 PM

295 posts, read 972,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
You won't get the tax bill until 2007.

What it cost me to register and get tags for my 2001 Buick Century, pay the property tax on in SC (address is unincorp. part of Fort Mill): today

No inspection or emission in SC.
No inspections or emission in SC, that's great news for me. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 05:02 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,768,275 times
Yes, you have to switch your insurance over to your SC address first, then get the registration...then you turn in your NC plates. $78.71 was the tax (call the York County Auditor and they will give you an estimate which was $125 so they probably usually give high estimates).

$24 registration, $15 tag. Bring your SS card, birth certificate, lienholder address and phone number if applicable, proof of insurance, and proof of residence. And your marriage license since according to your username you are married (which is pronounced murrrred in SC).

SC Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 06-22-2007, 05:15 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,691 times
SC won't give me mine. Leased vehicles completely throw them. And I already paid $635 for tax on both our vehicles, six weeks ago. And they won't let me register. groove has already seen my sob story on the SC boards.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:54 PM

448 posts, read 1,708,315 times
So what is the percentage on the motor vehicle property tax is you live in Mecklenburg county? The DMV website does not specify a percentage rate. What about if I have a leased car?

Old 06-22-2007, 06:25 PM

928 posts, read 3,531,445 times
Welcome to NC. It will cost more if you gripe about the pot holes in the highways.

Also, does it make any sense to pay for emissions tests on newer vechicles? This always confuses me that a 1950's vechicle can pollute but a 2000 vechicle has to have an emissions test.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:32 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,638,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
So what is the percentage on the motor vehicle property tax is you live in Mecklenburg county? The DMV website does not specify a percentage rate. What about if I have a leased car?
County Property Tax Rates

http://www.dornc.com/publications/5yr_tax_rates.pdf

Note: Does not include any municipal or special taxing districts

Leased motor vehicles are also included in your motor vehicle property tax liability.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post

Leased motor vehicles are also included in your motor vehicle property tax liability.
OK, but now, do they calculate the value of your car for what it is worth now according to the blue book or do they go by what you paid for the car when bought? If the later is the case, then what about lease cars?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:07 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,638,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
OK, but now, do they calculate the value of your car for what it is worth now according to the blue book or do they go by what you paid for the car when bought? If the later is the case, then what about lease cars?
Used car value. Not sure which pricing guide(s) each county uses, but you can appeal the value if you feel it's way out of line and you have acceptable documentation to backup your claim.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Used car value. Not sure which pricing guide(s) each county uses, but you can appeal the value if you feel it's way out of line and you have acceptable documentation to backup your claim.
Thanks a million!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:41 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,179,121 times
What are the fees if a car is leased? I have a 2007 TrailBlazer and here in Michigan, I paid a $135 registration fee back in March on my birthday. We don't pay taxes or anything. Just a registration fee for the new registration and tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or