U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:12 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,634,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave037 View Post
If I already payed tax on my vehicle befor moving to NC, will I still have to pay a yearly property txa on the vehicle?
Afraid so. Your new county/city government in NC needs revenue too. Property is an annual local tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 06:42 PM

190 posts, read 672,936 times
Just a note....Ohio requires a written test for everyone who moves here, no matter when you apply for the drivers license.

And as far as emissions go, the 2 cities I have lived in that require this also give you a limit on the amount you have to spend to try and fix the car's problems and pass the emissions test. I think it's a little rude that someone would say you must give up your car because it didn't pass. And no I'm not saying that anyone should try to *trick* the system.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:53 PM

142 posts, read 559,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Afraid so. Your new county/city government in NC needs revenue too. Property is an annual local tax.

I need to purchase another car when I move to NC (losing my current employers car when I move and switch jobs). Am I better off waiting till I get to NC before doing this, or just buy it in Fl and switch registration when I get there.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave037 View Post
I need to purchase another car when I move to NC (losing my current employers car when I move and switch jobs). Am I better off waiting till I get to NC before doing this, or just buy it in Fl and switch registration when I get there.
Bringing your motor vehicle into the state - All transactions involving a vehicle titled out of state 90 days prior to registering in North Carolina will be taxed on vehicle value, with a maximum of $150.00 being assessed. If owned less than 90 days before applying for North Carolina Title, tax credit against the highway use tax due will be allowed for the amount of tax paid to the other state upon submission of proof of payment. If the vehicle was titled in North Carolina after 90 days of purchase from a dealer, no credit would be allowed. Full highway use tax would be due on the purchase price, less any trade-in credit

Buying a motor vehicle in NC after you become a resident - the Highway Use Tax is 3% of the purchase price, less any trade in credit.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 8,274 times
thx for the info - wasn't aware there are "property taxes" on vehicles, or about the "or" situation, which is common in other states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoNC View Post
Thought this info might be helpful to some people, as I wondered what this would cost before I did it!

I transferred tags for a 2002 minivan, a 2000 pickup truck, and a 2006 trailer. The cost was $522 (includes registration and a highway use tax) plus an additional $17 for notary fees. Then, I took one of the cars across the street for the emissions & safety inspection, which was another $30. These fees are NOT part of the property taxes which we will have to pay when we receive a bill in 1 - 2 months. I believe that will be 3% of the value of the vehicles each year, so if you have 2 cars that are worth $10,000 each, that would be $600/year - yikes! You can do the math if your cars are worth more.

We were in the auto tag place for an 1 hour and 15 minutes, and I did not think the line was long when we went in (maybe about 10 - 15 people in front of us). The emission/safety inspection took 30 minutes.

You need to bring your car titles, proof of insurance, proof of your address, and your driver's license (but it doesn't have to be a NC one). Don't forget the checkbook! You will leave with a new plate, but you will get the new title in 2 - 3 weeks. Oh, and NC doesn't recognize the word "or" on a title. If the title says you "or" your spouse, you will both need to be present to sign or else you have to download an MVR form from the website & have it signed and notarized by your spouse who does not accompany you to the title office.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:15 PM

98 posts, read 533,556 times
heck all this mess makes me not to ever move to N.C.
well heck again, makes me want to dump the car and ride the bus.
snicker. What total b.s. Maybe i'll move to Mexico. giggle.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:34 PM

126 posts, read 531,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
It's still rediculous. I understand a birth certificate request for a first time licensed driver, but someone in their 50's? Come on.

North Carolina did not ask me for a birth certificate when I got my driver's license. All they did is make me take a written test, and turn in my other states license. And even at that, I didn't understand why I would have to take a written exam? I got my NC license within 30 days of moving here.
Most states don't make you take a written exam unless you wait to long to turn in your drivers license, I think in SC you have 90 days. If you wait longer than 90 days, then you take the written test.

Well I found my birth certificate copy, but I don't have copies of my marriage license anymore it was lost in a fire. According to what I read on the SC DMV site, you have to prove ALL of your name changes your entire life too.
THAT I can't do ! I don't have the documents, and a copy of the marriage license is 500 miles away.
I just read the link provided earlier to the NC regulations for new drivers and it just says that two types of ID are required. So a drivers license from another state and a SS card would be adequate.

I read all of the info and it wasn't much different from California. You're required to take a written test here, but they don't make you surrender your old license. They just punch out the date. When I moved to Georgia, they didn't require a test, but did make you surrender your old license.

As far as personal property tax, as a small business owner I am all too familiar with it. Taxes to own things - the only tax that makes my blood boil.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 PM

36 posts, read 129,861 times
I am not sure I completly understand the tax thing. I just moved from MD, and my car is still technically owned by the bank. when I go to get my tags changed from MD to NC, I will have to pay them a percentage of what the car is worth? or what I owe? yearly? I know I sound stupid, and I am when it comes to cars and taxes lol. help!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthrnMama View Post
I am not sure I completly understand the tax thing. I just moved from MD, and my car is still technically owned by the bank. when I go to get my tags changed from MD to NC, I will have to pay them a percentage of what the car is worth? or what I owe? yearly? I know I sound stupid, and I am when it comes to cars and taxes lol. help!
When you register your vehicle in NC as a newcomer, you'll pay a one-time Highway Use Tax (HUT) of $150 or less. This is a state tax.

After the registration process is complete, the state will notify your county of residence which will prepare a local motor vehicle property tax. Your property tax rate will depend on where you live. This tax is based on the property's value as reflected in industry used car pricing guides. This is an local annual tax.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 PM

36 posts, read 129,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
When you register your vehicle in NC as a newcomer, you'll pay a one-time Highway Use Tax (HUT) of $150 or less.

After the registration process is complete, the state will notify your county of residence which will prepare a local motor vehicle property tax. Your property tax rate will depend on where you live. This tax is based on the property's value as reflected in industry used car pricing guides. This is an annual tax.
thanks. I guess this sjust means I have to make sure I have money in the bank and send my husband to the DMV so emissions is a one time thing or a yearly thing here? in MD we only had to do it every few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or