Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:45 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times

Advertisements

Many people aren't aware that having a reaction doesn't mean a life long allergy. I have a sensitivity to a common ingredient that seriously effected me when I was young. While I still have a sensitivity I don't avoid it anymore because the reactions are not severe, if they happen at all. I have only known of two kids with food allergies serious enough to require that the school have an epi pen and special instructions, and one of them is now in college and stopped following his dietary restrictions in high school. I don't know what it means but apparently it's not a problem for him anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times
Now that it has been mentioned, this peanut allergy thing seems to have sprung from out of nowhere about 20 years ago. Prior to that I don't ever remember hearing about such a thing and certainly never heard of any kids when growing up that had such a thing.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 PM

525 posts, read 1,803,595 times
Me either...when my oldest was little it wasn't common..I'd say when my 2nd child started school. I think it is interesting too...it is either GMO's which were around in the last decade or the fact that docs kept pushing peanuts up to wait to give a child and so some never were introduced to little bits of it over a time. Yes kids grow out of allergies, there are allergies and intolerances etc but it happens. I dont agree with peanut free schools b/c I think it sets up a false sense of security. You don't live in everyone's home so therefore you can't control what is on their hands, in their pockets and what someone ate before leaving home or at the bus stop, if you have that sort of reaction or potential reaction I just don't think a small child is capable of realizing the whole spectrum of things. They don't think about someone eating toast with pb on it as they were on their way to the busstop and then sitting on the seat and touch things. They just don't. I hope they figure out this but until the government wakes up and doesn't let money control legislation and regulation research will be limited...GMO crops, pesticide use etc....

Old 07-22-2010, 08:06 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Now that it has been mentioned, this peanut allergy thing seems to have sprung from out of nowhere about 20 years ago. Prior to that I don't ever remember hearing about such a thing and certainly never heard of any kids when growing up that had such a thing.
Agree 100%....never heard of this when I was younger...

Its crazy....schools are nut free for lunch...absolutely crazy that you punish a whole school of kids because 1 kid in the school has a severe outbreak...what sense does that make?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,130,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
I'm astounded at this post! do you guys really believe this?! I hate to take this personal BUT I never took my daughter to an allergist until she ate handful of mixed planters nuts and had to be rushed to the hospital due to the hives, throwing up, and trouble breathing! There is no faking that at a year and a half old.
The epi pen is only used if she gets ahold of something and goes into shock, the benydryl is because if someone has touched or eaten nuts and touches her or kisses her cheek, there is an immediate hive. She has only had the one outburst where a hospital was needed but thats because I am extremely careful, taught her well and use benadryl at the first sign of a reaction.
Please don't take it as a personal attack! I do stand by my opinion, but that doesn't mean that I don't think peanut allergies are real and dangerous for a very, very small percentage of people. Perhaps your daughter is one of the small percentage.

I do think peanut, as well as many other allergies are WAY over-diagnosed. Like I said, parents take their kid to the allergist and a sensitivity shows up, so they get an epi pen. It's a little ridiculous.

Spoiler
I read a story once where a mother at a public park got into a screaming match with a family who was there enjoying a picnic lunch of peanut butter sandwiches. The screaming mother had an allergic child. I would have told her to go home, and then continued to enjoy my picnic

Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
Me either...when my oldest was little it wasn't common..I'd say when my 2nd child started school. I think it is interesting too...it is either GMO's which were around in the last decade or the fact that docs kept pushing peanuts up to wait to give a child and so some never were introduced to little bits of it over a time. Yes kids grow out of allergies, there are allergies and intolerances etc but it happens. I dont agree with peanut free schools b/c I think it sets up a false sense of security. You don't live in everyone's home so therefore you can't control what is on their hands, in their pockets and what someone ate before leaving home or at the bus stop, if you have that sort of reaction or potential reaction I just don't think a small child is capable of realizing the whole spectrum of things. They don't think about someone eating toast with pb on it as they were on their way to the busstop and then sitting on the seat and touch things. They just don't. I hope they figure out this but until the government wakes up and doesn't let money control legislation and regulation research will be limited...GMO crops, pesticide use etc....
I think you are very wise for teaching a child with a severe allergy to be aware and to take responsibility (as appropriate for his/her age) in re: to what they eat, what they accept from others, etc. I also agree that a small child cannot possibly have the discretion to figure this all out.

I have wondered about this, too - as to why we are seeing so many allergies to peanuts in particular. I do wonder how much of it is a hyper-sensitivity to pesticides (or other artificially introduced chemicals). It really worries me, b/c studies show that pesticides are present in breast milk of women who do not even live anywhere near rural or agricultural areas. This means it has become a common part of the ecosphere.

It has to be a really difficult situation for parents to send kids off to school when they have a history of severe allergic reactions (to anything!)

I think schools could devise nutritional lunches (and breakfasts, for that matter) that avoid the most common allergies. I think it is really sad how nutritionally empty so much of the food they serve is. We had really good lunches when I was a kid. We would smell that vegetable soup wafting through the school and look forward to a great lunch - veggie soup, cheese sandwiches, milk, and some type of fruit. I don't see why food can't still be prepared that way. It is all quite baffling to me.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Agree 100%....never heard of this when I was younger...

Its crazy....schools are nut free for lunch...absolutely crazy that you punish a whole school of kids because 1 kid in the school has a severe outbreak...what sense does that make?
I even read the other day that they're having nut free zones on airplanes. I think I would demand a seat change if I ended up in a free zone, I want my little bag of peanuts! Its the only perk left on the airplanes.

I agree with the others that this is almost a newish sort of thing. When I was in school if you forgot your lunch you were given peanut butter on crackers. This would be unheard of these days, and I graduated high school in 2004, so it really wasn't that long that it was still normal to be giving every kid peanut butter.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I do think peanut, as well as many other allergies are WAY over-diagnosed. Like I said, parents take their kid to the allergist and a sensitivity shows up, so they get an epi pen. It's a little ridiculous.
I agree. My brother was diagnosed as allergic to peanuts before he even had eaten a single one. We still had peanut butter in the house, we still ate it, and he never had a reaction to being around it. Of course he grew up thinking that he was in fact allergic to nuts, so has yet to ever eat any. But I'm sure he's at least come in contact with some sort of nut from time to time. My sister and I really don't think that he's allergic, but my grandma has always told him the dangers of eating food your allergic too so that has been a big factor in him not ever eating any.

[/quote]
Spoiler
I read a story once where a mother at a public park got into a screaming match with a family who was there enjoying a picnic lunch of peanut butter sandwiches. The screaming mother had an allergic child. I would have told her to go home, and then continued to enjoy my picnic
.[/quote]

Spoiler
Oh, I would go crazy on these people if they tried to tell me what I can and cannot eat in public. I hate when people bring their kids out in public and feel like every single stranger should accommodate them. I love kids and all, but if they're not mine I'm not going to treat them as if they were. I have every right to do my own thing in public (within the law), and you have every right to take your kids elsewhere as you see fit.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 PM

Getting back to the free breakfast program...

Is this something parents have to drop their kids off early for? If so then what makes the school think the parents will get up early to take their kids to school, but not to make them breakfast? And if it is at the start of regular school hours are parents able to opt out of having their kids given such an unhealthy breakfast? On the one hand, I think for the program to work it would have to be at the start of school, but then I think its very unfair to those parents that do actually give their children a healthy meal. You can't really single out certain students, so I'm a little confused at how this program is supposed to work.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Getting back to the free breakfast program...

Is this something parents have to drop their kids off early for? If so then what makes the school think the parents will get up early to take their kids to school, but not to make them breakfast? And if it is at the start of regular school hours are parents able to opt out of having their kids given such an unhealthy breakfast? On the one hand, I think for the program to work it would have to be at the start of school, but then I think its very unfair to those parents that do actually give their children a healthy meal. You can't really single out certain students, so I'm a little confused at how this program is supposed to work.
The free breakfast is before school starts. I believe students are allowed to arrive up to 30 minutes before classes start. I am not sure how many students participate in the program regularly. I can see the benefit for some working parents since they are able to drop kids off early, therefore being able to go to work earlier. This may save them some money on before care. Not that I agree with that (free childcare) but it is a savings for people who really need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte