U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM

292 posts, read 592,438 times

Advertisements

So do a lot of people move into North Carolina, but keep/get SC license plates? I see them everywhere. I know we are close to the boarder, but the number of SC license plates I see north of Charlotte at all hours of the morning and night seems off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,613,654 times
You would be surprised the people who travel from the upstate to work in the greater Charlotte area.

Your can't legally ride on SC plates if you reside in NC.

On the flip side, in SC there a TON of either NC or Ohio plates. Just people out and about.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 AM

716 posts, read 1,360,691 times
You would be amazed at how close we are to SC. When I first moved here I rented a furnished apartment for 1 month in Fort Mill(Regent Park) and was always in Charlotte. The Carolina Place Mall was only a 3 minute drive for me. When I see people post about Huntersville or Mooresville etc...... im like that is way too far away from me. I think this board should include York county posts as well.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
You would be amazed at how close we are to SC. When I first moved here I rented a furnished apartment for 1 month in Fort Mill(Regent Park) and was always in Charlotte. The Carolina Place Mall was only a 3 minute drive for me. When I see people post about Huntersville or Mooresville etc...... im like that is way too far away from me. I think this board should include York county posts as well.
I know Charlotte is practically on the SC boarder. I was thinking more about all the cars I see all the way up in Huntersville. Its seems pretty far from the boarder to have so many SC license plates at all hours.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 AM

285 posts, read 917,877 times
Mooresville is only a 30 minute drive from Fort Mill, SC. York County is just another suburb of Charlotte and we cross the border to do business in the entire Charlotte metro area. I'm in Charlotte more than Fort Mill due to work and shopping! But I own my home in Fort Mill and kid's in school in Fort Mill. It's the best of both worlds.

It's not some big conspiracy, just the freedom of interstate travel and commerce. NC gets my income tax dollars and a lot of my shopping dollars to trade off not getting any tag fee from me.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,357,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
The only way to get from Regent Park to CP Mall in 3 minutes is by helicopter or driving double the speed limit. I've driven it at a least 2 dozen times using different routes, since I worked near the mall and had clients near Regent Park. It's 3+ miles no matter how you drive it. Since we know you'd never speed, you must own a helicopter.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM

716 posts, read 1,360,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The only way to get from Regent Park to CP Mall in 3 minutes is by helicopter or driving double the speed limit. I've driven it at a least 2 dozen times using different routes, since I worked near the mall and had clients near Regent Park. It's 3+ miles no matter how you drive it. Since we know you'd never speed, you must own a helicopter.

Actually I just put the address of where I stayed at in Fort Mill and the address of CP Mall into google maps and got directions and it is showing total distance of 2.4 miles. The Fort Mill address I put in was actually the OFFICE address for the apartments I stayed in and I was actually closer to the Mall so I would estimate distance to be closer to 2 miles.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,599,060 times
I live in SC. NC is two miles east of my house (Union County) and five miles north of my house (Meck County). I work and play in NC but love the low taxes of SC!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,172,112 times
Not to mention, York County has grown like crazy. The population back in 1990 was around 150,000. Today, it's surpassed 220,000. With cities like Charlotte and Gastonia being so close, it just makes sense for a lot of people to cross the borders frequently. My hometown in SC was closer to Gastonia than Rock Hill, so we often crossed the border to shop or to eat something besides Hardee's, McDonald's and Subway (I'm not from Fort Mill )

Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 AM

I guess I just thought it was weird to see cars with SC license plates at 7am getting on the interstate to head into Charlotte (unless they started work up there at 6am and head into Charlotte for work related business?) I was just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte