U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:22 PM

34 posts, read 113,431 times

Advertisements

We moved from the DC area. It started slowly, first my sister moved to Columbia, then a cousin moved to Weddington, my parents bought a mountain place in NC, and they all left me behind in persuit of a better life. I was reluctant at first, but I followed my family to the south and am sooo happy I did - ended up in Huntersville and LOVE IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 02:10 PM

235 posts, read 665,862 times
Moving Day is THURSDAY!! Goodbye NY hello NC. We are leaving Brooklyn because of poor High Schools. dirty streets, too expensive to live here and just tired of the hustle bustle, the snow and the days when you wake up and the weather man says it feels like Negative 12 outside.
We are hoping for a slower way of living and just a better quality of life.
We are renting in South Meck (Ballanytne) to start and then we shall see where life takes us when it's time to buy.

Talia

Old 06-24-2007, 02:22 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,212,496 times
I am moving from Genesee County, Michigan (Flint is the county seat) to Gaston County in a few weeks. Assuming I get the job, that is. I have a teaching degree, but there are no teaching jobs in Michigan. In my area, more teachers get laid off than get hired.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:47 PM

237 posts, read 777,429 times
My wife and I are moving from NY to Charlotte we are leaving NY on tuesday 6/26 and will be there a few days later. We will be looking for a house in either mooresville or sherrils ford. We are alos tired of the hustle bustle and 2 full time jobs plus part time work to barely make it in NY, We will be renting in S Charlotte, off of providence road. Looking forward to the three seasons and having very little snow. Work for me starts mid july and my wife will be working also. cant wait to finally be a homeowner.

Last edited by engineman529; 06-24-2007 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-24-2007, 04:54 PM

533 posts, read 1,641,758 times
i got married last july and moved 2 weeks here later...so my husband and i have been here almost a year already. we moved from long island and are now renting in the ballantyne area and trying to save for house. basically there was no way we would be able to afford the house and quality of life we want on long island, so we moved here in hopes of affordability. another big reason for our move is my career...i am in grad school at uncc for school counseling. school counseling jobs on long island are pretty much non-existant, but here there will be more opportunity for me. we love it here thus far and we don't ever plan on moving back to ny. we hope to buy a home in union county in a few years.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 PM

190 posts, read 674,026 times
We are moving at the end of the week!
We are moving because my husband just finished his fellowship and he got a job in Charlotte. He'll be in Ballantyne, rock hill and Fort Mill so I'm not sure where we will move to, but it will be in South Charlotte.

I am very very excited because I'm from Charleston so this is very close to home for us. And Cleveland is just to plain cold!! LOL

Old 06-24-2007, 06:48 PM

105 posts, read 219,605 times
Default On the move again, I just can't wait to be on the move again

In answer to your question of where & why -
I currently live in Maine, it is only June & I have already been making my heating oil budget payments for two months. Do I need any more reason to leave?
But seriously folks, NC will be my 8th state of residence - I've enjoyed everything I care to here in Maine (though I will miss all the wild critters in my yard in the woods) & I'm ready to experience something new.
I've been researching NC for over a year & I like what I see. My all too brief visit last year sealed the deal for me. You locals are some of the nicest people I've met (on par with my fellow native Texans)! There is a fresh, vital feel to the city, plenty of opportunity, affordable cost of living & a burgeoning culture/nightlife/music/food scene. What more could I ask for?
I've been preparing myself for the heat by not turning on my car's ac as soon as I jump in after work.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 36,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynesdad97 View Post
I am moving in spring of 08. I currently live in the armpit of the U.S., Youngstown, Ohio. Check out it's city-data comments and you will see why i'm moving. Charlotte's worst area would be a resort here. -10 degrees in march. Murders daily. I could go on and on. I'll be moving to the ft. mill area.
Lmao...I am from Cleveland,Ohio moving to Indian Trail in August or as soon as my job offer is confirmed. I am leaving for several reasons...winter,crime rate rising,unemployment rate steadily rising, a cleaner city,better schools and a real chance at enteneurship.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:55 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,647,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulani View Post
In answer to your question of where & why -
I currently live in Maine, it is only June & I have already been making my heating oil budget payments for two months. Do I need any more reason to leave?
But seriously folks, NC will be my 8th state of residence - I've enjoyed everything I care to here in Maine (though I will miss all the wild critters in my yard in the woods) & I'm ready to experience something new.
I've been researching NC for over a year & I like what I see. My all too brief visit last year sealed the deal for me. You locals are some of the nicest people I've met (on par with my fellow native Texans)! There is a fresh, vital feel to the city, plenty of opportunity, affordable cost of living & a burgeoning culture/nightlife/music/food scene. What more could I ask for?
I've been preparing myself for the heat by not turning on my car's ac as soon as I jump in after work.

Preparing for the heat? It's not that hot here. I spent the weekend at Mrytle Beach and that was hot(humid) not here, totally different.

With that said we decided to move from Sunny Phoenix Az to beautiful Lake Norman in Huntersville back in Feb. After a visit to Myrtle Beach we are now in love with Myrtle and will probably pack up and start beaching it Love the beach and the cheap houses.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:08 PM

15 posts, read 50,381 times
It's definitely not that hot in Charlotte... I'm moving in August from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and it's always at least 10 degrees warmer in Tuscaloosa. I'm moving up there because my family owns a marina on Lake Norman and I realized I'd much rather work on the water every day than teach French to snotty high-schoolers! I love that I'll be close to the city and to the country. I'm tired of driving 4 hours to Atlanta to get some real shopping done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or