U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:10 PM

14 posts, read 34,393 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I moved here from near Erie, PA in December. We chose NC because we had some family here and more job opportunities for us. We bought a brick home--something we could never afford in PA and have been having fun getting to know the area. The thing I think we will miss (besides family) is Steelers football and the mania that it brought living in Northwestern PA. I know there are a lot of Steelers fans here but there is something about the cool, crisp fall days and nights and watching your team win and then watching the local news afterwards re-hash the games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 09:33 PM

142 posts, read 559,988 times
NJ to Fl 10 yrs ago right after College. Fl was very affordable then and DW and I were able to buy a home and start a family right away. Fl is no longer affordable. The people are rude, too much crime and congestion, terrible schools etc. etc. Now with all the equity in my home, I can afford to buy my dream house here. I love the Lake Norman area and think this is a great place to raise my children. Im just waiting to sell my Fl home before making the move. HI TO ALL MY FELLOW HALFBACKS!! (except for u obnoxious NYers- sorry to my Bronx born Mom. LOL)

Old 06-26-2007, 04:55 AM

673 posts, read 2,438,953 times
We thought this would be a nice area to raise our kids, and we could afford a much nicer house here than in FL. We left all our family and friends and good jobs (my husband had been at his job for 22 years and me for 10 years). This was a huge risk for us, but we are happy with our decision.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:18 AM

4,720 posts, read 10,327,707 times
Hi all. I will be moving from Long Island. Im sure everyone here knows why. How can a young 30 year old professional ever live comfortably in this rat race? Hope to be with you all soon next year.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:51 PM

237 posts, read 777,483 times
My wife and I just moved here from Long Island, this week. rocafeller, you are right, impossible to get ahead. We were both working full time and had extra jobs, and the realization of never becoming a homeowner on Long Island was fast becoming a reality. We are renting for a few months and will be buying somewhere surrounding Charlotte, possibly Mooresville or Sherrils Ford. Good luck to you.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 16,448 times
My wife and I relocated from Georgia. We both got incredible job offers, and we love Charlotte, so we figured why not????

Old 06-27-2007, 09:23 PM

23 posts, read 17,552 times
My best friend moved from Long Island and she told me there is no way she could afford to go back, even if she wanted, which she doesn't. I hope you guys LOVE the Charlotte area and am sure you will find lots of fellow Long Islanders!

Just being nosey: My husband and I drove up into Sherrils Ford the other day and with how remote it is and no possible way to get anywhere any time fast, are you working? It is beaufiful, and I can see living there if you are retired with plenty of money, but if you are working, where??? We were joking that only somebody from Long Island or Washington DC would be cool with driving an hour and half to get anywhere from there. Please educate us/fill us in on the scoop.
We live just inside east Lincoln County which is a short commute to anywhere (Huntersville, Charlotte, Mooresville, Hickory). Sherrils Ford is gorgeous, but is a complete mystery to us. Thanks for any insight!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:21 PM

146 posts, read 412,107 times
We are moving this summer from the Philly area. We are looking for an easier/less stressful life... We have a very large old house with a big mortgage and my husband commutes 2 hrs a day. In our twenties we worked crazy hours and chased bigger salaries, now in our mid 30's with 2 kids our priorities have changed. We chose Charlotte for a few different reasons (my husband is in the financial industry so the banks helped...) but more importantly for the lifestyle our family can afford there for a lot less money. Less out of pocket and more saved for college! Also, we love the weather and the people have been very welcoming. The schools are well rated also (of course this depends on where you are living...) We have been planning this move for about a year and now that we are down to the wire, we can't wait to be there!

Old 06-29-2007, 11:00 PM

6,221 posts, read 3,522,814 times
Currently living in Glendale, AZ. Exploring idea of moving to Charlotte or Raleigh to be closer to aging parents who refuse to move to AZ (can't say I blame them). Final decision will depend on where my husband can get a good job as I can work anywhere. Our kids will all be in college by Sept 08 so I don't have to fret about schools. Looking forward to a metropolitan area with lots of things to do year around, more than three hospitals in 25 mile area (it's good to have options), real trees and green scenery, summer temperatures under 102 (yes, including humidity), meeting people with good manners who enjoy a good converstation or story telling after dinner instead of television, a brick house with a screened-in porch instead of beige stucco, etc. I am not from the south, but my husband is from South Carolina. I am acquainted with the way things are done in the south, and it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt. A word of advise, if I may, to non-southerners moving to NC: foul/offensive language isn't tolerated and good manners are paramount. Being "polite" isn't always sufficient. Observe the way the locals speak to each other and make the proper adjustments. Example: saying "yes" instead of "yeah" is good, but saying "yes, sir" or "yes, ma'm" is much better.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 15,723 times
Default So tell use when you are moving...

My husband daughter and I will be arriving in Charlotte on August 10th, from Buffalo. My daughter will be attending Savannah State, and will be continuing on to Georgia. We are moving to get away from the snow, and on the many visits that we made to Charlotte to visit son and family we feel in love with the area. My latest granddaughter is due August 10th, and it will be nice to be near by!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or