U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:15 PM

53 posts, read 214,049 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to the Charlotte area from Long Island, NY. We moved because NY has become way too expensive and we weren't able to purchase a home there. We were also just tired of the "rat race."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
Default Where am I moving from and why?

I have lived in Atlanta, and the Marietta (Cobb county) area for 35 years, and looking for a change, and a new life in Charlotte. I have friends in Charlotte, and I am thinking about relocating Feb 08.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 AM

26 posts, read 75,780 times
I will be moving to NC (Charlotte/Concord) in two years as I am tied to my job til then. This weekend I will be in Charlotte to buy a house. My sister will try living in Charlotte for a year or so and then I will join her there. We are from San Diego California where its sunny year round and the cost of living is ridiculously expensive. I want to experience the four seasons and be able to afford a house without having to sacrifice my time with family. I am in search of a house where my dog can run free in the back yard and we can sit by the fireplace in the winter. Sunny gets boring after a while and bumper to bumper traffic gets old quickly too. I cant wait to move.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:51 AM

282 posts, read 1,066,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYaChick View Post
Everyone seems to be from somewhere else and moved here for all different reasons. What's your story?
I'm back in Detroit for my parents. I've lived in several other states and plan on moving as soon as the affairs are taken care of. This will be the area. If I was 20 yrs younger I would choose Colorado Springs, can't deal w/that much snow anymore.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 PM

716 posts, read 1,906,877 times
I moved to Raleigh, NC in 1996. That was the winter in NJ where I was digging my car out of the snow and shoveling the sidewalk about once every three days. I had enough.

I lived in Raleigh for two years. I saw all I could see of it in two years. I moved to Charlotte.

I lived in Charlotte for the next 8 years. It was awesome. I imported a husband from Portland, OR. We were happy. Then I got a better job offer in DC. We made the move to Northern Virginia two years ago.

We've both never been so miserable. The people are self-centered, arrogant, got-more-dollars-than-sense, and have a sick sense of entitlement. No way would we want to raise kids here. Traffic is a disaster pretty much any hour of the day. The cost of living is through the roof.

Then our landlord decided she needed to raise our rent by $150/mo. (She had one of those ARMs that got refinanced, and so, see, she needed to charge us more to pay her bills.) My husband had already moved twice now, so he said: one more time and that's IT for a while! So we needed to buy a house.

The median house price in Loudoun County, VA is around $455,000. And that will buy you what amounts to a cardboard refrigerator box. The only thing our little starter family could MAYBE afford would be a condo. Which is really just an apartment that you own. And we're at the point where we're tired of sharing walls with other people. I want to have a yard with a garden, and I want to be able to play guitar or use my treadmill or blast my music at any hour I please. I want a garage, and a dog, and to build a little workshed out back where I can make art.

So we're moving back to Charlotte, where the median house price is always just under $200K, and the people are nice, the weather is fantastic, traffic is a dream, and I can picture us raising a family. I am mostly a telecommuter, and my husband is also desperately working to get his job (which he loves) to go paperless so he can keep it and telecommute too.

My younger sister and her husband just moved to Salisbury, so we'll have family in the area this time. If we could just convince the older sister and the parents to move from Phila/NJ now...

We're hoping to be back sometime in October. I can empathize with every one of you trying to buy a house for a long-distance move, as it's a challenge. But we're excited, and ready!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:05 PM

13 posts, read 41,794 times
Looking to move in January of 08, from the Ft. Lauderdale, FL area.

Visiting at the end of October, gonna check out some houses and the areas, and hopefully put the feelers out there for a job in October/November/December in the IT field.

If all goes as planned, I'd like to be in a house by the end of January.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:22 PM

24 posts, read 85,810 times
Default Moving from DC

We're moving from Chevy Chase, DC where the median house price is $800,000. We are moving in January 2008 and we can't wait! As many of the NoVA and MD folks have mentioned the traffic is horrendous and the housing prices are ridiculous. We are going to rent for a year until we find the right community for us. We have heard so many wonderful things about the area we are hoping it will be a great place to raise our two little ones. This forum has been so helpful!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 11,191 times
Just bought a 6 year old home in Colonail Village between Monroe and Indian Trails. We will rent it until next july and then Move from Eastlake Ohio. Ohio is shrinking....taxes are up ($3,200 a year on a 1700 sq ft home 30 miles east of Cleveland) winters are harsh...people in genr=eral are not friendly....we are pumped and all we have to do is sell our house in the spring

Old 08-03-2007, 07:34 PM

4 posts, read 22,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynesdad97 View Post
I am moving in spring of 08. I currently live in the armpit of the U.S., Youngstown, Ohio. Check out it's city-data comments and you will see why i'm moving. Charlotte's worst area would be a resort here. -10 degrees in march. Murders daily. I could go on and on. I'll be moving to the ft. mill area.

Hey you Ohioian! I am from Akron area/ Actually Cuyahoga falls. I just moved with my daughter and husband in July. I live in the Mooresville area. Really nice and very beautiful. I am close to Lakenorman. The traffic on 77 is bad at certain times of the days. The best food store i have gone to is Harris Teeter. I rent a 2 bedroom for 730 a month. It is all electric and all I pay for utilities is phone,cable,electric,water and computer service. The telephone service here in this area is windstream. Pretty reasonable @ 59 a month. My high speed connection is another 30. My electric bill is budgeted around 71 month. Water is about 20 a month. I will not miss the cold winters there in Ohio. It is very hot here right now. around 90*+. Winters a kinda mild I hear. There is no crime here, but Charlotte has crime. You have to be careful where you live. I would live around here, mooresville, cornelius, huntersville ect. You will not regret moving here. I don't and I love it here.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 38,410 times
Default We are moving from Boston next month.

We are moving next months from MA. My husband lost his job after 22 years and got an offer from Solectron. I was very ready for change. I could feel it in my bones last few years. Also we are sick and tired of MA winters. So, I closed my business /skin care salon/, sold our house and can't wait to jump on a plane and join my husband there. I visited only 3 times, but every time I liked it more and more. Peter is already there 1,5 year and he likes living in Charlotte very much. We also bought a house hopefully area is OK /Marionwood Pl in Charlotte/. Is very close to Peter's job. What am I gonna do there? Who knows.We are in our 50ties, originally from Poland and after 25 years in Boston is time to start over. I wonder if is any polish comunnity there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or