Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:42 AM

748 posts, read 1,771,658 times

Advertisements

They're appraising our home at $120k less than we expected. That's money we were expecting in equity, and it's gone just like that.

My problem is, they are using comps that are not even in the same league.
They're comparing bank-owned homes half the size of ours, half the lot, lower quality builders, none of the upgrades...and pricing ours 10% over those.

So we paid $300k in 1999 and added about $75k in upgrades including a full addition upstairs with another bedroom and bathroom, and they are telling us we have to list at $289k.

I feel sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:49 AM

385 posts, read 890,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
They're appraising our home at $120k less than we expected. That's money we were expecting in equity, and it's gone just like that.
120K less than u expected or less than what it was worth a few years ago?

If its 120K less than you expected and a house less than $400K somebody's expectations are wayyyyyy off.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Oh my - you bought your house in Mooresville before you knew what you'd be getting for your current house?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:56 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
This is one of the reasons that several of us strongly advised you to rent here before jumping into another piece of real estate. Especially real estate that has been subject to a lot of irrational speculation in an area you don't know. I think I even advised you, in one of your topics, to wait until your first home was sold. Real estate is crashing and prices are not coming back. However if your previous home is covered by the typical M&L plan, then your employer will at least take it off your hands at that price which is the silver lining in the whole thing. If so that will be the extent of the haircut you will take on that property. If not, then well.... I'm sorry. It's not going to be fun watching two properties go down in value.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post

My problem is, they are using comps that are not even in the same league.
They're comparing bank-owned homes half the size of ours, half the lot, lower quality builders, none of the upgrades...and pricing ours 10% over those.

So we paid $300k in 1999 and added about $75k in upgrades including a full addition upstairs with another bedroom and bathroom, and they are telling us we have to list at $289k.

I feel sick.
Who are "they"? The RE Agency? Have you had your home appraised by a professional appraiser?
Bank owned or not, your home should be compared to other homes that are truly comparable. I'd push back or get another opnion.
It sounds like the work of an agency that just wants quick sales to pay them commissions....just a hunch.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Please do not name real estate agencies on
the forum. It stated in the TOS
direct message is fine.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Telling you that you have to list your house at a certain price? Who is telling you this and how can anyone force you to list your home at a given pricepoint?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 AM

46 posts, read 126,253 times
Your home should be compared to similar properties in the area, usually within a mile radius. Deductions/additions should be made to the comps so they match your property. I have never heard of anyone just adding 10 percent to the comps to arrive at a SUGGESTED list price.
Unfortunately some areas have experienced a high amount of foreclosures/short sales and appraisers are using these comps if there are no regular sales in the area to choose from.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,658 times
Buying the home in Mooresville isn't a problem. We're still getting lots of equity out of our home here and we have the down payment in savings, but we thought the comps would be from the past year and they're only going back 6 months.

We have to list it at the price they set as part of the relo package.
We're just upset that the appraisers are comparing apples to oranges, and I need to find out if there's anything we can do about it or just eat it.

Have to stay positive...the sellers in NC lost $50k on the home we bought, plus I'm getting a new income that wasn't there before.

Boy, my neighbors here are going to be happy if they try to sell.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
I would talk to your relo company ASAP about getting more appraisals done. Be calm and unemotional, but explain your view of the "comps" they pulled, etc.

What you paid in 1999 has zero to do with what it is worth in today's market, so leave that bit out. Focus on comps, that is the only measuring stick.

Given how unstable the market is and has been, I think 6 mos is pretty much standard now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte