U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 PM

27 posts, read 64,701 times

Advertisements

Looking for information on their experience good/bad with Direct TV. Interested in sports programs (YES network)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM

174 posts, read 422,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actordad View Post
Looking for information on their experience good/bad with Direct TV. Interested in sports programs (YES network)
If you are a Yankees fan like me, you will be quite annoyed as the ONLY way to get Yankee games is to pay for the MLB Package ($190 / year..all games in HD). I found out the hard way...I had the top package which included the YES Network, the pre-game was on...getting ready to watch the game and than at 7:30 the entire channel is blacked out. Than..the postgame comes on and Michael Kay is doing his interviews!! Oh I was steamed!! But 162 games for $1.17 / game in my opinion is the best value they have. The Sunday Ticket is of course much more ($300 / year for 16 games).

Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM

249 posts, read 426,640 times
I get Sunday ticket and the sports pack. I like DTV and will never go back to cable. Only downside is that your signal can go out in bad weather like a heavy downpour. Never had problem with snow.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 PM

226 posts, read 473,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac Nation View Post
I get Sunday ticket and the sports pack. I like DTV and will never go back to cable. Only downside is that your signal can go out in bad weather like a heavy downpour. Never had problem with snow.
Yea, my neighbor had that problem. Every storm we had knocked it out. He got fed up with it and had Verizon run their FIOS to his door. Their fiber optic is very reliable. I have never been dropped; whether it be TV, internet or landline. We use them for all three.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:18 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,791,771 times
YEP, you have to have the MLB pkg in order to watch the YES network, games & all. Keep in mind, we are not in the "NY market area" so the local market area (Braves) can, & do at times, blackout Yankees games if they want. Usually, those games are being televised on other stations, so it's not too bad.

GO YANKEES!!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,606,516 times
don't give them a dc/cc to debit an account for payment.....
If you ever cancel with them, they will continue to debit the account.
Many have had this problem with them.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:27 PM

747 posts, read 1,549,246 times
We've been happy customers for 11 years.

But I called them last week to talk about moving service to the new house in Mooresville. The woman quoted me $600 for equipment (2 DVRs, HD service) and $90/month. I figured that can't be right because DirecTV has always been really good about keeping customers. I'll check into it again after I get there.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:25 PM

810 posts, read 1,126,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
We've been happy customers for 11 years.

But I called them last week to talk about moving service to the new house in Mooresville. The woman quoted me $600 for equipment (2 DVRs, HD service) and $90/month. I figured that can't be right because DirecTV has always been really good about keeping customers. I'll check into it again after I get there.

Direct TV will move your service for free. All you have to do is pack your receivers and they will come put up a new dish at no charge. I just moved from VA to Mooresville last month.

The only way it would cost you that much or anything at all is if you do not already have the 2 DVRs with HD service. Do you have 2 HD DVRs now?

If you do, maybe she misunderstood you or something.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM

810 posts, read 1,126,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actordad View Post

I don't know about baseball games cause I am not a fan but I have had Sunday Ticket for the last six years I think. They raise the price every year and every year I call them and tell them I can't afford it anymore and they always give me a great deal on it. I can't remember exactly how much it was last year but they charge an extra $99 for Super Fan which is the games in HD. I have gotten that for free the last two years and last year they credited my bill $20 a month for six months.

It will go out when it rains really, really hard but that rarely happens to mine but I can't speak for others.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:32 PM

532 posts, read 1,569,730 times
I have DirectTV but cannot speak about the Sunday Ticket or Sports Pack. We just have basic Satellite with a DVR. LOVE the DVR. Have been considering upgrading to HD, but financial detours have prevented us from doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac Nation View Post
...Only downside is that your signal can go out in bad weather like a heavy downpour. Never had problem with snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
It will go out when it rains really, really hard but that rarely happens to mine but I can't speak for others.
Agreed. Heavy downpours will cause the signal to go out. We also had snow fill the dish and cause the signal to go out. But lucky for us, the dish is close to the edge of our low roof so, a ladder and a broom fixed the situation right up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
Yea, my neighbor had that problem. Every storm we had knocked it out. He got fed up with it and had Verizon run their FIOS to his door. Their fiber optic is very reliable. I have never been dropped; whether it be TV, internet or landline. We use them for all three.
Ah, yes. My father (in Baltimore) has FIOS. Unfortunately, it's not available here, yet.

Another for DirectTV... When we had it originally installed, we were notified of the optional insurance to cover service calls and equipment. We declined. A few months later, we had a tornado touch down and lifted a retractable awning on my back deck and flipped it up on the roof, crushing my satellite dish. When I called DirectTV for a service call, they were very helpful; even waiving the fee for the service call and equipment replacement. For that, I'm very satisfied with DirectTV.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte