Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:52 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,816 times

Advertisements

HI
In my old communte to work I would pass some South Charlotte subdivisions that were built during the 70's, 80's and early 90's in the then outskirts of the city. As I drove by, over time, I began noticing how the growing trees were enhancing the community but also noticed how some of the home-owners were drastically enchancing the outside structural aesthetics of their homes in order to make them more appealing to some of the homebuyers who have "rediscovered" the area. For example some were adding a sunroom or taking the generic siding and putting stucco, stone, cedar shake or brick in its place. Making some of these production homes look less "nondescript" and giving them a healthy dollop of good old curb appeal. So now that got me asking myself . . . .

Do the HOA regulations normaly become less prevalant as the years(decades) pass by?

Or do you think these subdivisions are exceptions to the case since back then the rules did not have as many limitations as they have now?

Im so curious about HOA's and their long term effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 07:10 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,113 times
It just depends on the Board enforcing them. Simple as that.

Your font is still hurting my eyes.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
this is really something that cannot be answered due to each hoa has their own standards. HOA would only be beneficial in the long term due to rules on maintaining up keep of the homes. For instance in our hoa rules there is clause on additions being added but only stipulation is it must be discussed with hoa before applying for your building permit.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:29 AM

50 posts, read 222,902 times
Aren't the rules incorporated by reference into the deed? If that's the case, unless they are completely rescinded by the governing body, they would still be enforceable I would think. If I remember correctly, individual homeowners can bring about enforcement of the standards through legal action, not just a HOA.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:08 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiner View Post
Aren't the rules incorporated by reference into the deed? If that's the case, unless they are completely rescinded by the governing body, they would still be enforceable I would think. If I remember correctly, individual homeowners can bring about enforcement of the standards through legal action, not just a HOA.
You're right about that - individual homeowners threatened to sue the Board in one of the neighborhoods in my old development, to force them into stronger action against other homeowners who weren't in compliance.

Every set of bylaws I've ever read leaves most decisions up to the Board, so that the rules aren't too restrictive to keep up with the times. Although my last neighborhood had a very strict fence policy written into the covenants - but that was designed by the farmer who originally sold his land to the development company (it was a Federal Planned Unit Development). He never wanted his land visually divided by privacy fences, so he made the sale contingent upon his fence rules being written into the master bylaws. And 30years later nobody has been able to overturn them!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:17 AM

549 posts, read 2,384,816 times
Interesting points megassels and ruiner. I asked since some homes in the Starmount subdivision have been drastically renovated. It is good thing since the community is looking prettier every day.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 AM

85 posts, read 362,377 times
An HOA without 'vigilance' from inception sets a precedent of unenforceable bylaws. (Written into Deeds or otherwise). An enthusiastic board of members can enforce bylaws if done diligently and without delay. If an atomosphere of 'implied consent', (not taking action when violations occur), has existed for any length of time, the precedent is set and bylaws become toothless........and the HOA board is looked upon as nothing more than 'Vigilantes'.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 AM

157 posts, read 529,939 times
Honestly I wouldnt worry about it as long as it dont hurt you.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,496 times
Default HOA's that don't enforce CCRs/Bylaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart1 View Post
An HOA without 'vigilance' from inception sets a precedent of unenforceable bylaws. (Written into Deeds or otherwise). An enthusiastic board of members can enforce bylaws if done diligently and without delay. If an atomosphere of 'implied consent', (not taking action when violations occur), has existed for any length of time, the precedent is set and bylaws become toothless........and the HOA board is looked upon as nothing more than 'Vigilantes'.
Eagleheart1 - appreciate the above info. Is there a law I can reference in AZ? Is your opinion based on legal fact and if so, what state or federal? Thanks.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:26 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolcorte View Post
Eagleheart1 - appreciate the above info. Is there a law I can reference in AZ? Is your opinion based on legal fact and if so, what state or federal? Thanks.
Unfortunately, this is an almost 8 year old post and "Eagleheart1" hasn't posted in about the same amount of time, so I will be surprised if he/she answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte