Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 AM

99 posts, read 293,354 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to NC within the next year or two. I just can not seem to find a house in Union or Mooresville.After speaking to two different Real Estate agents they both suggested I expand a bit and look into Concord.I am not asking for much,at least I don't think so.Maybe a 2500-3000 sq ft home.About 1 acre.I am a big motorhead so I need a place to park my race car trailer and would like to build a 30x30 garage or find a place with a garage.I have two young children,13 and 9 so schools are important(the schools in Union and Mooresville are very impressive so thats what I compare others to) as well as low Crime.Any input would be greatly appreciated on where to look.I was told west of 85.I will be down there again in July so I need to have an idea on where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
1 acre is a tough nut to crack with top tier public schools... You didn't mention your budget.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
West of 85 in Cabarrus, look for homes zoned to Harris Road Middle->Cox High school or NW Cabarrus Middle -> NW Cabarrus High. I would give a bit of an edge to HRMS and CMHS, but you won't go wrong with either.

There are many hidden pockets of homes just like you describe, especially west of Hwy 78. A good realtor will be able to help.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
1 acre is a tough nut to crack with top tier public schools... You didn't mention your budget.
I know,250,000 -350,000.We have found a few with possiblities.Berkley Point had one.There was another one we liked but had powerlines in backyard and needed to be finished,seemed like people ran out of money.I forgot the name of the location.We found one in Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw I forgot which one that would of worked but the driveway went down 45 deg and then back up 45 deg on an acre.If it was not for that I would of jumped on it.My realtor was not very aggressive at all.Going in July just want to be prepared.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Can't believe that your agent couldn't find anything in Mooresville.
This search on zillow revealed 7 homes.
Mooresville NC Homes for Sale & Mooresville Real Estate - Zillow

If you like modern homes, then the second home on Faith Rd might be a winner.
Have personally seen this home.It was architect designed for a couple who are school teachers.I am surprised it's for sale.
Has 1.7 acres outside the city (very close to Davidson but lower Iredell taxes) in a semi-rural setting close to everything.
Not in a subdivision as such but there are 4 or 5 homes around it- none of them anything like this one though!
I think it's Iredell Statesville schools, but may be Mooresvile city schools-not sure but either way both are fairly good.

When I reduced the sq ftage to 2,000 plus their were another 6 homes came up, one with 9 acres!

There are even a few that are very close to the Lake and the public boat ramp at Stumpy Creek off Perth Rd and they would be Lake Norman schools and county taxes only.

Good luck!
I live in Mooresville (Lake Norman 28117 side) and have a 15yr old attending LNHS.
We also looked at Cabarrus and Waxhaw briefly.
Concord area would have been our second choice after Mooresville, but once we saw the lake and realised we could find something with private lake access and a waterview on just over an acre in our budget we were sold!
Of course it's a "smaller" house, but big compared to what we were used to.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROFGH View Post
I know,250,000 -350,000.We have found a few with possiblities.Berkley Point had one.There was another one we liked but had powerlines in backyard and needed to be finished,seemed like people ran out of money.I forgot the name of the location.We found one in Wesley Chapel/Waxhaw I forgot which one that would of worked but the driveway went down 45 deg and then back up 45 deg on an acre.If it was not for that I would of jumped on it.My realtor was not very aggressive at all.Going in July just want to be prepared.
Being a car guy, my guess is Mooresville proper (or real close) is your #1 option? Besides schools, the acreage is made even tougher by the lake premium up there.

It won't be exactly like Smithtown schools, but you should look into Mooresville East of 77 (MGSD), NorthWestern Mooresville up Perth towards Statesville, and out West on 150 towards Denver. You should find some possible options.

Concord, Mint Hill... some options in those areas, but I don't know them very well. If you come down to Union County you'll be pushing yourself well South to find an acre in your budget - but it wouldn't be completely out of the question to find something. Indian Land across the SC border would likely have options, as well. Schools... schools... schools - lots of research in your future.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROFGH View Post
I am looking to move to NC within the next year or two. I just can not seem to find a house in Union or Mooresville.After speaking to two different Real Estate agents they both suggested I expand a bit and look into Concord.I am not asking for much,at least I don't think so.Maybe a 2500-3000 sq ft home.About 1 acre.I am a big motorhead so I need a place to park my race car trailer and would like to build a 30x30 garage or find a place with a garage.I have two young children,13 and 9 so schools are important(the schools in Union and Mooresville are very impressive so thats what I compare others to) as well as low Crime.Any input would be greatly appreciated on where to look.I was told west of 85.I will be down there again in July so I need to have an idea on where to look.
A lot of Union County & Mooresville are opposite ends of the metro. Do yo know where your job would be, or will you work from home? Have you looked at Denver in Lincoln County?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM

103 posts, read 395,855 times
Schools are fantastic in Union county, and finding an acre shouldn't be hard either.

Some people will want to place you up in the Huntersville, Cornelious, Mooresville, Concord area based on you being a motor head/racing guy. Thinking it makes sense to put you as close to Dale Jr and the others as possible.. I doubt that is going to have baring on your decision though.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Can't believe that your agent couldn't find anything in Mooresville.
This search on zillow revealed 7 homes.
Mooresville NC Homes for Sale & Mooresville Real Estate - Zillow

If you like modern homes, then the second home on Faith Rd might be a winner.
Have personally seen this home.It was architect designed for a couple who are school teachers.I am surprised it's for sale.
Has 1.7 acres outside the city (very close to Davidson but lower Iredell taxes) in a semi-rural setting close to everything.
Not in a subdivision as such but there are 4 or 5 homes around it- none of them anything like this one though!
I think it's Iredell Statesville schools, but may be Mooresvile city schools-not sure but either way both are fairly good.

When I reduced the sq ftage to 2,000 plus their were another 6 homes came up, one with 9 acres!

There are even a few that are very close to the Lake and the public boat ramp at Stumpy Creek off Perth Rd and they would be Lake Norman schools and county taxes only.

Good luck!
I live in Mooresville (Lake Norman 28117 side) and have a 15yr old attending LNHS.
We also looked at Cabarrus and Waxhaw briefly.
Concord area would have been our second choice after Mooresville, but once we saw the lake and realised we could find something with private lake access and a waterview on just over an acre in our budget we were sold!
Of course it's a "smaller" house, but big compared to what we were used to.

I have a few of those homes in my file of homes to go look at when we get down there.I had to find them myself.Thanks

Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
A lot of Union County & Mooresville are opposite ends of the metro. Do yo know where your job would be, or will you work from home? Have you looked at Denver in Lincoln County?

As far as work I will be retired from the NYPD,I am a Lt..I can actually go now but am sticking around till the end of the year.I just got a 4 % raise.I was in the auto restoration business before.If I go towards Mooresville I am sure I will find something part time.If I go South of Charlotte I have a few contacts that can hook me up.I am not really concerned about a job.My wife on the other hand is a bit concerned,she is a special ed teacher K-6.My old partner's wife continues to turn jobs down and continues to reommend my wife.
I don't know much about those two places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte