Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,306 times

Advertisements

What the heck is SunCom? Someone fill me in. Right now AT&T seems to offer the best service in my area, but Verizon just says "has coverage" unlike all the other providers who rate their coverage "Best, Good, Moderate, Fair". I got the run around with a sales rep. Looking at different consumer reports, there is something called SunCom but couldnt really find anything on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
What the heck is SunCom? Someone fill me in. Right now AT&T seems to offer the best service in my area, but Verizon just says "has coverage" unlike all the other providers who rate their coverage "Best, Good, Moderate, Fair". I got the run around with a sales rep. Looking at different consumer reports, there is something called SunCom but couldnt really find anything on them.
SunCom was a regional cel phone service provider in the southeast and was acquired by T-Mobile a couple of years ago.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM

248 posts, read 747,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
Not sure if I am 100% correct in this, but I heard that by Christmas time this year, Verizon will be selling iPhones.
They will be, but on tiered data plans, just like ATT, and the same model already on ATT, so it's a bit anti-climactic.

A lot of people who wanted a really good smartphone and were hoping for a iPhone have found phone-love in some of the new Droid and HTC models Verizon has.

Other people, like me, see great phones with cheaper plans on Sprint with the EVO and think it's time for a better phone on a better network. So much crap from Steve Jobs and ATT makes me want to throw in the towel...

Old 08-21-2010, 05:25 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aag-charlotte View Post
They will be, but on tiered data plans, just like ATT, and the same model already on ATT, so it's a bit anti-climactic.

A lot of people who wanted a really good smartphone and were hoping for a iPhone have found phone-love in some of the new Droid and HTC models Verizon has.

Other people, like me, see great phones with cheaper plans on Sprint with the EVO and think it's time for a better phone on a better network. So much crap from Steve Jobs and ATT makes me want to throw in the towel...
The iPhone to Verizon rumor has been swirling for years. It's always supposedly "next month" or "in January". I'll believe it only when I see it.

Since Verizon and ATT use competing network technologies that aren't compatible (CDMA vs GSM), I think the rumor is more wishful thinking than truthful reporting. I sure as heck wouldn't get Verizon with the expectation of buying an iPhone at some future date. If you want an iPhone, go with ATT. It's just that simple.

As I stated earlier, the only way I'd recommend ATT is if you're planning on the iPhone... 'cause the iPhone just kicks that much ass.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 AM

38 posts, read 225,520 times
To the OP, I have the iPhone 4 and so far I haven't had any problems here. No dropped calls, around 3-5 bars (never below 3) and very fast data on 3G.

Maybe its just me, but I haven't had problems with AT&T since I have had them for the past 3 years...

Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanigan911 View Post
The EVO, to me, is an iPhone killer. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. People always poopoo on Sprint, but here in Charlotte, they are quite strong. 4G is great, and Sprint's 3G is the best in the business. They also don't cripple their handsets. I got mine as they started the 2.2 froyo rollout, which seems to have fixed any battery problems, as I've had no issue with lasting all day.

I agree, the EVO is great. I also agree that Sprint is just fine in most of the Charlotte metro area.

However, if you travel much at all, you'll quickly grow to hate Sprint. I formerly had a Sprint phone for business and a Verizon phone as my personal phone. At this time, I traveled frequently for business purposes. I can't count the number of time I had to use the Verizon phone for business purposes because the Sprint phone had virtually no service or kept dropping out of conference calls. It got to where I started giving my personal Verizon number to business associates.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:08 PM

196 posts, read 428,722 times
Can anyone else with an iPhone speak to what kind of coverage they get in the Charlotte area?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Verizon!!!! I switched from AT&T after having 2 IPhones and I have the Droid X now. VW has better coverage and very few dropped calls. The Droid X gives you more options to download music and ringtones. Now I don't have to pay a arm and a leg on ITunes for both. VW's customer service is awesome.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:57 PM

236 posts, read 806,653 times
what people are failing to mention is that with the Evo 4g, you have to pay an additional $10 for "access to the 4G network". And 4G is not even available in Charlotte (or at least that's what they told me).
So that $69 everything plan is actually $79 with an Evo.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM

461 posts, read 985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
what people are failing to mention is that with the Evo 4g, you have to pay an additional $10 for "access to the 4G network". And 4G is not even available in Charlotte (or at least that's what they told me).
So that $69 everything plan is actually $79 with an Evo.
4G is all over Charlotte! It was one of the original test markets for 4G. Yes, there is that fee, but it looks to be the new standard for the high-end Sprint phones, and it's still a better deal than any of the other companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte