Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:30 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Good thinking, Jack. Some of the Ingles stores can be visited for discount Biltmore tickets. Maybe Publix will be interested.
Exactly.

There are tons of things you can link it to.

Good point about commercials too. To be honest, I have not seen 1 TV or Radio ad on the Hall of Fame. For example, when I was younger, anytime the Yankees or Mets would say have a "giveaway day", you'd see TV commercials promoting it. Word of Mouth is not going to cut it...

I don't get why they don't do some of these common sense things.... They do have a marketing department, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Exactly.

There are tons of things you can link it to.

Good point about commercials too. To be honest, I have not seen 1 TV or Radio ad on the Hall of Fame. For example, when I was younger, anytime the Yankees or Mets would say have a "giveaway day", you'd see TV commercials promoting it. Word of Mouth is not going to cut it...

I don't get why they don't do some of these common sense things.... They do have a marketing department, right?
Yeah, the Phillies giveaway days were heavily advertised on KYW radio ("all news, all the time") & at the end of ballgames. Has the Hall of Fame been mentioned on a broadcast of a race?

How much effort would it take to have a nice picture or two taken, go to the state & pay for as much of the ad as they are getting, what 2 seconds? (long enough to say NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte) The state buys the bulk package deals in Philly. They are cheap & the ads run constantly for 4 - 6 weeks. Dover & Pocono are daytrip distance from everywhere in the Philly market. Hmmmmmmmmm........ maybe that's one reason why, for decades, people from the NYC metro would come down & feel compelled to tell the locals that it's the gateway to the South. . .

Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I'm assuming your correct about that, but say you were affliated w/Nascar, wouldn't it make sense to do that?.....
Other than race winnings, I don't believe the major drivers are paid anything by Nascar. Each driver is his own independent business, usually trademarked, and have their own balance sheets to worry about. I would tend to believe there isn't any financial incentive to get involved with the HOF at all. Unless places like Dale Earnheart Enterprises or Joe Gibbs Racing has some direct financial interest in the HOF then this isn't something that's particularly good for business. They make, I'm assuming, huge amounts from endorsements and placing sponsors on their race vehicles and this is where their promotion efforts go.

Of course I can't speak for them, but if I had to worry about making payroll, paying the huge expenses to maintain a fleet of racing cars, facilities and travel costs, etc. I don't think I would be spending much time posing at the HOF especially when the place stays mostly deserted anyway.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Ani, the simplest thing, beyond running special deals in conjunction with other events, or packaging passes, would have been to go to the state board of tourism.

The NC State Board of Tourism inundates Philadelphia in late winter & early spring with TV ads. What other major market city supports 2 NASCAR tracks? (Dover & Pocono) That area had a good image of NC before it was fashionable.
Yep (and I thought Jack's ideas were fantastic, too, about hooking up with grocery stores, Carowinds, etc).

I really wonder what is going on with their lack of vision in the marketing department.

Also - wanted to comment about the drivers not having any incentive to support the HoF.

Maybe they don't have any financial incentive but dang, it is yet another venue to honor fans and the fans are why the drivers have teams and events to run in, lol.

However, there are ways to make it financially viable (for drivers) if finances have to go into the equation.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

I really wonder what is going on with their lack of vision in the marketing department.
This one is easy. This is a gubment institution with the full backing of the elected officials. Thus, the concept of financial failure and incentive to be innovative doesn't exist because there is always the taxpayer to pick up the slack. If the HOF was a true private enterprise, then you would be seeing something completely different.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep (and I thought Jack's ideas were fantastic, too, about hooking up with grocery stores, Carowinds, etc).

Also - wanted to comment about the drivers not having any incentive to support the HoF.

Maybe they don't have any financial incentive but dang, it is yet another venue to honor fans and the fans are why the drivers have teams and events to run in, lol.

However, there are ways to make it financially viable (for drivers) if finances have to go into the equation.
Ani, I think that you & I should work up something & present it to someone in a position of authority.

I mean, really, when you consider the buying power that the NC State Board of Tourism has, what could be better? I know how those bulk ad purchases work. Plus, with the state budget strained, why would they turn down someone offering to pay a bit (& that's all it would be) of the ad cost?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:05 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
This one is easy. This is a gubment institution with the full backing of the elected officials. Thus, the concept of financial failure and incentive to be innovative doesn't exist because there is always the taxpayer to pick up the slack. If the HOF was a true private enterprise, then you would be seeing something completely different.
Very true but let's not also forget that Racin' in its current form does not appeal to those who would actually attend the HOF. At one time, Nascar was a poor man's sport, it is no longer that so there is not the enthusiasm there once was.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
O I would tend to believe there isn't any financial incentive to get involved with the HOF at all. .
My point was, somehow Nascar should make it a priority IMO to help the HofF because it would HELP Nascar in general. If there weren't any fans, none of these guys (or the industry) would be making any money at all.

I don't know, maybe I think different. To me, it would be a win-win for Nascar if the HofF did well. More people through the door, more interest, you get the point....it all goes hand in hand.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Very true but let's not also forget that Racin' in its current form does not appeal to those who would actually attend the HOF. At one time, Nascar was a poor man's sport, it is no longer that so there is not the enthusiasm there once was.
Chrome, you can say that about any sport (baseball/football/basketball/etc).....ALL professional sports are big business now, however I don't agree that you can't have the "enthusiam" there once was. Look at the NFL, it is more popular now than ever.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Ani, I think that you & I should work up something & present it to someone in a position of authority.

I mean, really, when you consider the buying power that the NC State Board of Tourism has, what could be better? I know how those bulk ad purchases work. Plus, with the state budget strained, why would they turn down someone offering to pay a bit (& that's all it would be) of the ad cost?

We could do it! We can put the ideas together and come up with a budget for implementation. It will take a lot of research, wh/ is a big chunk of time to put into something that we have no idea will have any financial reward . . . but yeah . . . pitching an account is something I can surely do, if you are serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte