Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 AM

604 posts, read 1,306,853 times

Advertisements

Here is my problem with the whole thing!!!!! We can't keep using the taxpayers $$$ just to service the debt!!!
The county's broke!!!

Annual debt payments grew from $113.4 million in 2000 to $273 million budgeted for next year.
Overall county revenues are expected to fall by about 5.5 percent in 2010-11. Debt payments also are expected to drop but are projected to take up about 20.3 percent of next year's budget, money that could go to other services.

County's debt rating could be in jeopardy - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/30/1345359/countys-debt-rating-could-be-in.html - broken link)

Last edited by Keith Roe; 08-10-2010 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:12 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,535 times
My parents are coming to town to visit. My father watches Nascar. I told him about the HOF and the $20 entrance fee and he passed. We are still going to the track to take the $5 tour and will visit one racing teams garage.

On a side note, I heard that even the Televison audience is down for Nascar. You would think that if people didn't have money to go to the race they would still watch it on TV. Maybe Nascar is like what I think about baseball. Fun to watch in person but boring on TV.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,990,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
There are no circular tracks in NASCAR competition. But this does expose your near complete ignorance and obvious disdain for the sport. That's OK. Everyone is allowed their opinion.
My friend just flew in for a visit, he is not a NASCAR fan by any means. He was at the airport bar waiting for me to pick him up and one of the guys asks the bartender to put on the Watkins Glen practice runs. He was amazed someone would want to see that. To him (and me to an extent) the only thing worse than seeing someone drive in circles - oops, ovals, is to see someone practice to drive in ovals.

I don't have a disdain, just doesn't do anything for me.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I think this got pretty well hashed out in the last thread... Honestly what is doing well right about now that's involved with discretionary income? Look at concerts. I guess you can take exception to not meeting the projections, but in that regard it's just the tip of the iceberg.

EXACTLY Mikey

To quote Bill Clinton's 1992 presidental campaign team, "It's the economy stupid"

Old 08-10-2010, 09:06 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I didn't realize that the NASCAR HOF was something that was new (yes, I'm new to town). I guess the attendance numbers seem to support the theory that people attend and watch NASCAR events for the party, and not necessarily the people driving in circles for 4 hours?

hmmmm....you might want to wait to comment on things until you learn a little about them

Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
My friend just flew in for a visit, he is not a NASCAR fan by any means. He was at the airport bar waiting for me to pick him up and one of the guys asks the bartender to put on the Watkins Glen practice runs. He was amazed someone would want to see that. To him (and me to an extent) the only thing worse than seeing someone drive in circles - oops, ovals, is to see someone practice to drive in ovals.

I don't have a disdain, just doesn't do anything for me.
For the record, Watkins Glen is a road course, not an oval or even a circle. Maybe your friend didn't notice that the cars were turning left and right.

If all a person sees is cars going round and round, then they're missing all the details that make racing fun. There's so much more to it. Consider driving your car 400 miles, at the absolute limit of it's and your abilities in 130 degrees, and then add in 42 other people doing the same thing. But racing isn't for everyone. And I do understand that practice laps, and many of the race laps, aren't exactly enthralling.

I don't understand TV baseball. 1000's of hours of spitting, crotch grabbing, and constant clothing adjustments, all for a few select moments of action per game. Most of the players don't even break a sweat.

TV golf? TV soccer? Could anything be more boring than watching 98% walking or running to get to the 2% of action per game? Maybe watching a marathon from beginning to end would actually be less interesting, but I'm not sure.

But hey, lots of people watch those sports. They're just not for me.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 08-10-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-10-2010, 10:18 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
My parents are coming to town to visit. My father watches Nascar. I told him about the HOF and the $20 entrance fee and he passed. We are still going to the track to take the $5 tour and will visit one racing teams garage.
I think you may want to reconsider. The HoF is actually a very interesting museum with plenty of interactive exhibits. The entrance fee may seem high, but you can easily spend a day there.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:34 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Any guy's guy, true sports fan will get NASCAR... especially after seeing a race live in person. Don't mean to offend women sorry!

Those poking fun about driving in circles / etc must not have had the childhood I experienced. My friends and I would take 4 sticks, a rock, a roll of tape, and invent a competition over it. We did it everywhere with everything. It's always been some variation of that when we'd play anything - usually involving trash talking.

So I don't get how people don't get competition in its rawest form... I can drive faster then you, try and catch me. These guys are driving upwards of 200mph in a crowd - we're not talking curling here.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Any guy's guy, true sports fan will get NASCAR... especially after seeing a race live in person. Don't mean to offend women sorry!

Those poking fun about driving in circles / etc must not have had the childhood I experienced. My friends and I would take 4 sticks, a rock, a roll of tape, and invent a competition over it. We did it everywhere with everything. It's always been some variation of that when we'd play anything - usually involving trash talking.

So I don't get how people don't get competition in its rawest form... I can drive faster then you, try and catch me. These guys are driving upwards of 200mph in a crowd - we're not talking curling here.
I totally agree with you, MikeyKid! I'm not a Nascar fan, but I would attend the NHOF! I've already been there and it is a spectacular place! It's amazing how people who don't understand this sport always want to thumb their nose at it and want to have this elitist attitude towards Nascar. I'd much rather watch Nascar on TV than watching golf and most definately soccer, now those sports are totally boring to watch on TV! At least Nascar is a lot more faster pace than either of those sports!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
.... It's amazing how people who don't understand this sport always want to thumb their nose at it and want to have this elitist attitude towards Nascar.....
I'm not denying this goes own. However it's not the issue in regards to the city spending public money to build a museum to this or any professional sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte