U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:57 PM

327 posts, read 1,058,242 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both places. Much of what has already been said is true in opinion. Traffic is worse in Philly, food, culture, amount of sports (not necessarily sportsmanship) is better in Philly.

One thing that has not been touched on yet is your long term plans. Do you plan on making one or the other city your home for years to come and a place to raise children? If so, I think Charlotte wins hands down. It is a safer city and much more family-friendly. It is also much more affordable to live in and around Charlotte than in Philly, so that should be a primary consideration as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 03:05 PM

308 posts, read 529,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Two different types of cities!

Culture - nothing beats the northeast with Philly being close to NY and DC.
Safety - Charlotte beats Philly by a long shot
Culture - again the northeast wins
Food - northeast but there are some good restaurants in Charlotte
Night life - Philly area. Charlotte uptown closes at 9:00pm unless you are at the Epicenter.
Traffic - much much worse in Philly. Charlotte driving is crazy but not like Philly.
Here they love to tailgate. No blinkers when turning. Streets change names every few feet or so causing newbies to drive slow. GPS systems don't get you where you want to go in Charlotte with so many name changes or new streets.
Sports - many more pro teams in Philly area but it depends on who your favorite team is.
Public transportation in Charlotte may be limited depending on where you live and work. CATS does not have service to all places. Light rail only runs on South Blvd from Pineville to 7th Street.
when you keep resortring to the northeast are you resorting to Philadelphia? The question refers to Philadelphia, not the northeast. Besides, if you don't live in NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Phili, D.C. or Pittsburgh (if considered N.E.), you live in a place smaller than Charlotte and very likely not as cultured as Charlotte. Charlotte is one half the size of Phili, so naturally Phili will lead culturally since it has been a big city for over 200 years. For the size of Charlotte (2 million and growing) it is getting better and better. Sorry but true.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,162,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
when you keep resortring to the northeast are you resorting to Philadelphia? The question refers to Philadelphia, not the northeast. Besides, if you don't live in NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Phili, D.C. or Pittsburgh (if considered N.E.), you live in a place smaller than Charlotte and very likely not as cultured as Charlotte. Charlotte is one half the size of Phili, so naturally Phili will lead culturally since it has been a big city for over 200 years. For the size of Charlotte (2 million and growing) it is getting better and better. Sorry but true.
The northeast is a fairly recent term that lumps geographic areas together. Philadelphia is a MidAtlantic city, as is Baltimore, DC, & Richmond, but lately people have taken to lumping them in with New England & the NYC metro area. It's convenient, but gives a wrong impression.

At the time of the American Revolution, Philly was the 2nd largest city in the English-speaking world, so you are correct that it has been a large city for a very long time. but have you lived there? You seemed to be taking a poster to task about a post that I did not see a need to question, & I lived in that metro for over 40 years. I did not feel that it was giving the OP any inaccurate information.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,648,835 times
I tend to think the northeast and "mid-atlantic" "lines" can get blurred by who you ask....I tend to agree w/this definition....

Mid-Atlantic states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would put NYC and south as Mid-atlantic (anything north and east of NYC falls really into New England)....but again, many people from other areas think DC is the Northeast...

Not really a big deal, but alot has to do w/who you ask because there really are no true hard lines...

Old 08-18-2010, 04:22 AM

35 posts, read 72,538 times
Thank you everyone for your input and advice....thanks to njmdpanc and am2 for those thorough summaries...just curious Njmdpanc stated CLT shuts down at 9pm while AM2 said they go til about 2am..how is it u guys have diff experiences w/night life
@Akhenaton....no weather preference reallyI'm in KY right now and I'm guessing we fall somewhere in the middle our winters are a little rougher than CLT but not quite as bad as Northeast/MidAtlarea...but driving in snow is not a big deal for me...

Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I tend to think the northeast and "mid-atlantic" "lines" can get blurred by who you ask....I tend to agree w/this definition....

Mid-Atlantic states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would put NYC and south as Mid-atlantic (anything north and east of NYC falls really into New England)....but again, many people from other areas think DC is the Northeast...

Not really a big deal, but alot has to do w/who you ask because there really are no true hard lines...
Jack, when I was in elementary school, geography & history were still taught as separate classes. We were taught that the MidAtlantic states were NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA (DC not being an actual state, but included) & that some considered NY to be MidAtlantic & some considered NC to be MidAtlantic. The reality, today, is that there is still a strong regional similarity from Philly to Richmond.

Before the bank consolidations, there was a chain of banks in South Jersey called MidLantic Bank. MidAtlantic appears in company names in the Philly metro, in all 3 states (ES PA, South Jersey & New Castle County DE.

While, technically, North Jersey is also supposed to be the MidAtlantic, the NYC metro identity there is so strong that I really don't think that it exists there to much of a degree now.

I hammer away at the MidAtlantic concept on the Charlotte board, because it's an important concept that seems to be lost to a degree because of the changes in the educational system. (But it still exists.)

The MidAtlantic is the area where the North - South change occurs. It's not a black & white thing, it's gradual. There are some posts on the NJ & South Jersey boards that get into the differences in NJ.

For that reason, those of us who have lived in both metros don't speak of cultural differences between Philly & Charlotte. We speak of the size difference. I kept pretty much to the driving since the OP spoke of a particular concern for the driving. I could have posted more, but posted enough to get the message across.

The use of the term "the Northeast" is recent & was started in the national media. People who I know in the Philly metro laugh about it, because they know where they live - in the MidAtlantic.

I brought out the old MidAtlantic sledge hammer because a poster, who has stated in previous posts, that he or she has lived primarily in London England seized on the term "the northeast" & seemed, to me, to be trying to use it to discredit a post that I did not think was inaccurate. These posts are all based on our personal opinions, so one person's view of Charlotte vs Philly may vary from another's, but, really, the biggest difference between the Quaker City & the Queen City are the size. Bigger city, more sports, etc.

The OP did not mention whether there was a desire to live in the city or the suburbs but in Philadelphia, there Fairmount Park Fairmount Park, as well as smaller neighborhood parks & the city squares. Charlotte has its greenways & parks. City of Charlotte Mecklenburg County Official Government Website

Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 AM

35 posts, read 72,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
I've lived in both places. Much of what has already been said is true in opinion. Traffic is worse in Philly, food, culture, amount of sports (not necessarily sportsmanship) is better in Philly.

One thing that has not been touched on yet is your long term plans. Do you plan on making one or the other city your home for years to come and a place to raise children? If so, I think Charlotte wins hands down. It is a safer city and much more family-friendly. It is also much more affordable to live in and around Charlotte than in Philly, so that should be a primary consideration as well.
Lol@Philly sportsmanship....i've heard the stories!! As far as long term plans it just depends...I have other family considering CLT so I can see it being a long term venture....no plans for children so that's not an issue..yes cost of living&safety are huge factors...I know my $$will go farther in CLT. One of my concerns is will CLT have that big city appeal...other posters have told me CLT is way too conservative...care to weigh in on that? i've only visited so I haven't experienced that.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,309,910 times
As others have stated, these cities could not be more different. The big difference to me is that Philly is a very large, walkable city that you can get lost in, walk to/from all sorts of neighborhoods (that are integrated with downtown and other neighborhoods) and see a tremendous amount of art, culture and history. The food scene is one of the best around IMO, and there is a ton of vibrancy day and night. It's also a very dense city, so it has a very different feel from Charlotte. Philly also has pretty good public transit (light rail, subway, bus, rail from city to city). Philly's location is also great, being close to NYC, the beach/AL City, DC/Baltimore, the mountains.

Charlotte still feels new to me, has some great restaurants, is walkable, but is just much smaller. The pace there also feels slower to me. It is a safer feeling city and does not have Philly's grit. Public transportation is getting better, although with the density being much lower, I'm not sure how commuting into the city from the suburbs will be in 10 years (might be more reliance on a car).

The good thing in choosing between these two cities is that you're likely to find what you're looking for....they cover a large array of lifestyles. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou_slugger View Post
Lol@Philly sportsmanship....i've heard the stories!! As far as long term plans it just depends...I have other family considering CLT so I can see it being a long term venture....no plans for children so that's not an issue..yes cost of living&safety are huge factors...I know my $$will go farther in CLT. One of my concerns is will CLT have that big city appeal...other posters have told me CLT is way too conservative...care to weigh in on that? i've only visited so I haven't experienced that.
Depending on who you speak with, you can also also hear that Philadelphia is a conservative city. I would suggest that you google the current mayors of both cities. My personal opinion is that Michel Nutter is the more conservative of the two. He is like Ed Rendell, conservative but quite personable.

Philadelphia is a city of neighborhoods. So is Charlotte.

I went to college in Philly & worked there for many years. I am female & usually worked 2nd shift & did not fear for my safety. Things went downhill during the term of the mayor between Rendell & Nutter. Michael Nutter won the Democratic primary because he had the most aggressive plans to get crime under control. Although Lynne Abraham is no longer DA, you should google her as well. She served 4 terms as DA. That will tell you something.

I don't think that you would be unhappy in either city. I would just apply in both & see where you get a job.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:38 PM
am2

413 posts, read 744,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
You've pretty much said it all am2!

Thanks!

and I forgot Lincoln CO, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte