Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:07 PM

35 posts, read 83,514 times

Advertisements

You'd be compairing apples to oranges. Both cities are large, but Philly has way more suburbs. As far as dining and nightlife goes, both about the same, you can find grreat pizza in both places.

Where do you recommend for pizza... I will be visiting both cities soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:42 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou_slugger View Post
You'd be compairing apples to oranges. Both cities are large, but Philly has way more suburbs. As far as dining and nightlife goes, both about the same, you can find grreat pizza in both places.

Where do you recommend for pizza... I will be visiting both cities soon.
This place has been in the South Jersey suburbs for decades. There used to be another in Center City, but was closed down about 20 years ago. King of Pizza - The Famous & Original - Cherry Hill, NJ

Paul's Pizza on Pine St. has also been there for decades. Paul's Pizza - Philadelphia, PA, 19107 - Citysearch

Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 PM

309 posts, read 765,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This place has been in the South Jersey suburbs for decades. There used to be another in Center City, but was closed down about 20 years ago. King of Pizza - The Famous & Original - Cherry Hill, NJ

Paul's Pizza on Pine St. has also been there for decades. Paul's Pizza - Philadelphia, PA, 19107 - Citysearch

You both are way off the mark You should be comparing the merits of hoagies and cheesesteaks, not pizza!

Grew up in Philly and have lived in Charlotte for about a year. We looked to move to Philly 'burbs b/c all our family is there, but it was just too cost prohibitive. Love both places and agree with many of the previous comments about the pros and cons. Personally, tho, if $$ was no object, we'd head back to Philly b/c all our family is there. But I haven't struck the lottery yet. So I'm happy to stay here!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
You both are way off the mark You should be comparing the merits of hoagies and cheesesteaks, not pizza!

Grew up in Philly and have lived in Charlotte for about a year. We looked to move to Philly 'burbs b/c all our family is there, but it was just too cost prohibitive. Love both places and agree with many of the previous comments about the pros and cons. Personally, tho, if $$ was no object, we'd head back to Philly b/c all our family is there. But I haven't struck the lottery yet. So I'm happy to stay here!
The OP asked for pzza, so I gave her two long established pizza places. I don't live in Charlotte, I'm outside it, so someone else can provide Charlotte pizza locations.

I have no inclination to try to explain hoagies to someone from another part of the country. I've done that over the years with friends & family in Michigan, & until they encounter them, they do not understand. (especially the bread) I make my own here. I just get some Vierra rolls from Ingles or some bread from Lowes Foods & I'm just fine.

I love Philly, but Jersey has gone to pot & my friends & family are all looking to bail from South Jersey. I miss certain things, especially the historic atmosphere, but I'm just fine here.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:27 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
You can't compare Philly to Charlotte by looking at census metro area stats. The 2 million that was listed earlier for Charlotte sounds like a big city until one realizes this this spread over 6000 sq miles. Much of this metro consists of small rural areas consisting of people who shun Charlotte and don't have anything to do with it. From a purely urban perspective, there are only a few blocks in Charlotte that resemble a city and these are missing most of the elements needed for day to day living.

The vast majority of the city of Charlotte consists of detached homes on single family lots, cul de sac neighborhoods, big box retail and roads. My advice before making any decisions is to visit Charlotte and then decide if you would like this sort of change.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
You can't compare Philly to Charlotte by looking at census metro area stats. The 2 million that was listed earlier for Charlotte sounds like a big city until one realizes this this spread over 6000 sq miles. Much of this metro consists of small rural areas consisting of people who shun Charlotte and don't have anything to do with it. From a purely urban perspective, there are only a few blocks in Charlotte that resemble a city and these are missing most of the elements needed for day to day living.

The vast majority of the city of Charlotte consists of detached homes on single family lots, cul de sac neighborhoods, big box retail and roads. My advice before making any decisions is to visit Charlotte and then decide if you would like this sort of change.
Oddly enough, you will find the same in the Philly metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte