U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:43 PM

35 posts, read 72,521 times

Advertisements

Just curious if there are ppl who have lived in both Philly and Charlotte that can provide some insight into their experiences in both cities....culture, night life, racial issues (if any), safety. One of my big concerns is traffic...I have heard that it can be horrific in both cities, however, I am open to public transportation. I have family in VA/DC/MD and have experienced the I-95 rush hour in those places. I'll admit I am an overly cautious (slow) driver and my b/f thinks this may be an issue.. Me and my b/f are both mid 30s, african american, love sports (watching), going to concerts, and shopping. Any info anyone wishes to share will be greatly appreciated....employment will be secured prior to the move so that is not an issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 PM

870 posts, read 3,209,996 times
Two different types of cities!

Culture - nothing beats the northeast with Philly being close to NY and DC.
Safety - Charlotte beats Philly by a long shot
Culture - again the northeast wins
Food - northeast but there are some good restaurants in Charlotte
Night life - Philly area. Charlotte uptown closes at 9:00pm unless you are at the Epicenter.
Traffic - much much worse in Philly. Charlotte driving is crazy but not like Philly.
Here they love to tailgate. No blinkers when turning. Streets change names every few feet or so causing newbies to drive slow. GPS systems don't get you where you want to go in Charlotte with so many name changes or new streets.
Sports - many more pro teams in Philly area but it depends on who your favorite team is.
Public transportation in Charlotte may be limited depending on where you live and work. CATS does not have service to all places. Light rail only runs on South Blvd from Pineville to 7th Street.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 PM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou_slugger View Post
Just curious if there are ppl who have lived in both Philly and Charlotte that can provide some insight into their experiences in both cities....culture, night life, racial issues (if any), safety. One of my big concerns is traffic...I have heard that it can be horrific in both cities, however, I am open to public transportation. I have family in VA/DC/MD and have experienced the I-95 rush hour in those places. I'll admit I am an overly cautious (slow) driver and my b/f thinks this may be an issue.. Me and my b/f are both mid 30s, african american, love sports (watching), going to concerts, and shopping. Any info anyone wishes to share will be greatly appreciated....employment will be secured prior to the move so that is not an issue
I lived in the South Jersey suburbs of Philly for many years. I currently live 30 miles west of Charlotte.

To me, the pace is about the same. In both places strangers will talk to you (& they are not setting you up to be mugged).

To me, the biggest differences that might matter boil down to this. Philadelphia salvaged most of it's architectural past in the mid 20th century Charlotte has ripprd down a lot of its past.

Charlotte is over-run with transplants, Philly is mostly natives.

Others may disagree but in my opinion, those are really the 2 biggest differences (apart from size). The other differences are minor.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Two different types of cities!

Culture - nothing beats the northeast with Philly being close to NY and DC.
Safety - Charlotte beats Philly by a long shot
Culture - again the northeast wins
Food - northeast but there are some good restaurants in Charlotte
Night life - Philly area. Charlotte uptown closes at 9:00pm unless you are at the Epicenter.
Traffic - much much worse in Philly. Charlotte driving is crazy but not like Philly.
Here they love to tailgate. No blinkers when turning. Streets change names every few feet or so causing newbies to drive slow. GPS systems don't get you where you want to go in Charlotte with so many name changes or new streets.
Sports - many more pro teams in Philly area but it depends on who your favorite team is.
Public transportation in Charlotte may be limited depending on where you live and work. CATS does not have service to all places. Light rail only runs on South Blvd from Pineville to 7th Street.
Just curious, are you refering to merging? There's an unwritten law on that there, you know. LOL, no blinkers in Charlotte. . . in the Philly metro good luck on the blinkers, too.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 AM

870 posts, read 3,209,996 times
Funny.
Merging in Philly is a little easier since the speed limit at an on ramp is the same speed as the road you are pulling onto. In Charlotte you have to stop in most places before speeding up to get on the roadway.

In Charlotte they need u-turn blinkers on cars. Don't know how many times the car in front of my has just pulled a u-turn in the middle of the road.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Funny.
Merging in Philly is a little easier since the speed limit at an on ramp is the same speed as the road you are pulling onto. In Charlotte you have to stop in most places before speeding up to get on the roadway.

In Charlotte they need u-turn blinkers on cars. Don't know how many times the car in front of my has just pulled a u-turn in the middle of the road.
Merging in Philly is a wonderful thing, as long as it's locals who all know that the unwritten law is to alternate. If a road does not have a median that prevents a u-turn, the Philly drivers will actually use their turn signals for that. The way to tell the South Jersey drivers from the Philly drivers is that the South Jersey drivers are not prone to using the sidewalk as an auxillary lane.

I've found that driving on Franklin Blvd in Gastonia in rain is just like driving Admiral Wilson Blvd & the Sure-kill in rain, everybody goes about 20/25 miles an hour.

No one in Philly or South Jersey knows how to drive in snow, so before a predicted winter storm, everyone runs to the store (eggs, milk, & bread). Before the first snow here last winter, I went to Ingles & it was jammed (eggs, milk, & poptarts) (Yeah, an 80,000 sq ft store that was packed.) It was just like being in Pathmark.

Have to drive in snow in Philly & South Jersey? That's going to be about 15 or 20 mph, with a white knuckled death-grip on the steering wheel. Non-locals whiz by & scare the bejesus out of the local drivers. I stayed off the roads here last year when it snowed, so can't speak for here. However, if it's like when it rains, it must be the white-knuckled death-grip, creeping along.

Years ago, during a SEPTA strike, companies started staggering work hours, & never went back, so rush hour goes on for hours in Philly. Much shorter rush hours in Charlotte. . .

Old 08-16-2010, 11:14 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,291,213 times
The Philly area has a sizable edge in culture, sports, and shopping; we have those things, but Philly's got more. However, Charlotte's traffic is much more manageable and we do get major concerts here. Both cities have a sizable Black middle class. I've enjoyed my time here and honestly, Philly is a city I wouldn't mind trying out for a year or two. I think it's underrated and is pretty affordable given its size. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Any preferences for weather?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The Philly area has a sizable edge in culture, sports, and shopping; we have those things, but Philly's got more. However, Charlotte's traffic is much more manageable and we do get major concerts here. Both cities have a sizable Black middle class. I've enjoyed my time here and honestly, Philly is a city I wouldn't mind trying out for a year or two. I think it's underrated and is pretty affordable given its size. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Any preferences for weather?
Charlotte has most of a beltway. There is none in Philly, & never will be. The Sure-kill can not be widened, so a lot of drivers have found alternatives.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 PM
am2

413 posts, read 743,892 times
You'd be compairing apples to oranges. Both cities are large, but Philly has way more suburbs. As far as dining and nightlife goes, both about the same, you can find grreat pizza in both places. Philly has olde city and south street, and CLT has elizabeth-plaza-midwood and Dilworth-southend. I have partied in all of those places. Both Philly and CLT shut-down about 2PM unless you can find a speakeasy. Philly has a well established regional, and city rail system, while CLT just started putting theirs in about 3 yrs ago. Both have world class air ports. As far as diversity, Philly wis hands down, but CLT is getting better. AS far as highways go, CLT wins hands down. most streets in CLT are wide so you can drive 50-55 on main arteries (unless theres an accident), with new freeways being constructed. Philadelphia is a well established, world class city, CLT is up and comming. Philly had 1 million people a hundred years ago if that tells you anything. Right now, Philly has about 1.5 million in city and about 6 million in metro, which includes Bucks, Montgomerey, Delaware and Chester counties in PA, Camden, Burlington, Gloucester and Salem counties in NJ, and New Castle co in DE. CLT has about 700k in city and about 2 million in metro whioch includes Mecklinberg, Cabarrus, Gaston, Union, Rowan, Cleveland, Stanley and Anson counties in NC, and York, Lancaster and Chester counties in SC. Lived in both, enjoyed both, I like CLT better, but good luck!

Old 08-16-2010, 02:22 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,686,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
You'd be compairing apples to oranges. Both cities are large, but Philly has way more suburbs. As far as dining and nightlife goes, both about the same, you can find grreat pizza in both places. Philly has olde city and south street, and CLT has elizabeth-plaza-midwood and Dilworth-southend. I have partied in all of those places. Both Philly and CLT shut-down about 2PM unless you can find a speakeasy. Philly has a well established regional, and city rail system, while CLT just started putting theirs in about 3 yrs ago. Both have world class air ports. As far as diversity, Philly wis hands down, but CLT is getting better. AS far as highways go, CLT wins hands down. most streets in CLT are wide so you can drive 50-55 on main arteries (unless theres an accident), with new freeways being constructed. Philadelphia is a well established, world class city, CLT is up and comming. Philly had 1 million people a hundred years ago if that tells you anything. Right now, Philly has about 1.5 million in city and about 6 million in metro, which includes Bucks, Montgomerey, Delaware and Chester counties in PA, Camden, Burlington, Gloucester and Salem counties in NJ, and New Castle co in DE. CLT has about 700k in city and about 2 million in metro whioch includes Mecklinberg, Cabarrus, Gaston, Union, Rowan, Cleveland, Stanley and Anson counties in NC, and York, Lancaster and Chester counties in SC. Lived in both, enjoyed both, I like CLT better, but good luck!
You've pretty much said it all am2!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte