U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 AM

15 posts, read 41,767 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a trip to Charlotte to get a feel for the city. We are actually planning to move to Charlotte in the next year or so also. This question may be better suited for a realtor but what are the best areas in charlotte to purchase a house for 175K - 250K? Area's within 20 minutes of the downtown/uptown.

What's Charlotte's big non sport attractions?

Best hiking parks?

Best non chain restaurants?

Best Shopping areas?

Top employers to work for and what industry?

I'm a real estate investor so what are the best area's for rentals?

Those are just a couple questions we have. As the discussion goes forward we'll have more. Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 AM

21,842 posts, read 27,103,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGuy79 View Post
My wife and I are planning a trip to Charlotte to get a feel for the city. We are actually planning to move to Charlotte in the next year or so also. This question may be better suited for a realtor but what are the best areas in charlotte to purchase a house for 175K - 250K? Area's within 20 minutes of the downtown/uptown.

Best hiking parks?

Best Shopping areas?

Those are just a couple questions we have. As the discussion goes forward we'll have more. Thanks in advance!
Look at Belmont in Gaston County & Matthews.

Charlotte has greenways. Then there's Crowder's Mountain State Park http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/crmo/main.php & Kings Mountain Gateway Trail http://www.kmgatewaytrails.org/ .

Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,059,779 times
What's Charlotte's big non sport attractions? I don't know if it is considered "big" or not but I like the museums. The Charlotte Museum of History.

Best non chain restaurants? My favorite is Azteca. A few locations (I guess it is a local chain) and a great menu. Homemade salsa, tortillas, guac, real shrimp ceviche, mariachi band, etc. Azteca Mexican Restaurants

Old 08-16-2010, 12:44 PM

445 posts, read 1,021,028 times
University area, Harrisburg, and Mint Hill also have plenty of homes in your price range and are (mostly) good areas. Just avoid the University area near Tryon.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,252,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGuy79 View Post

Best hiking parks?

Best Shopping areas?

Our biggest non sport attractions would be our museums I think - http://www.bechtler.org/ and http://www.museumofthenewsouth.org/ and http://www.mintmuseum.org/

Best for walking (hiking is something I do in the mountains, lol) are our greenways, like Little Sugar Creek, McAlpine and McMullen. The closest hiking to Charlotte would be about 45 minutes away at Crowders Mountain State Park: http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=HGD044-032

Best non-chain restaurants would be Zada Jane's, Hotel Charlotte, The Penguin, Carpe Diem, just to name a few.

Best shopping, South Park for upscale.

Top employers, Family Dollar, US Air, CMS schools, Duke Power, Harris Teeter.

East Charlotte for rental property.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:19 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,919,820 times
Loves, I think Bank of America is our biggest employer! And Wells doesn't have plans to shed any more local (non-retail) jobs soon so they're second, right? Love all of the restaurants you suggested but have to add all of our Mexican and Vietnamese spots along South Blvd. and Central Ave. We're lucky to have them in a city with so many chains.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Loves, I think Bank of America is our biggest employer! And Wells doesn't have plans to shed any more local (non-retail) jobs soon so they're second, right? Love all of the restaurants you suggested but have to add all of our Mexican and Vietnamese spots along South Blvd. and Central Ave. We're lucky to have them in a city with so many chains.
hahahahahaha - I was only naming the ones that came off the top of my head - I certainly did forget the banks (and my hubby just started one of those bank jobs!!! )

Old 08-16-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Our biggest non sport attractions would be our museums I think - Bechtler Museum of Modern Art and Levine Museum of the New South and The Mint Museum - Home

Best for walking (hiking is something I do in the mountains, lol) are our greenways, like Little Sugar Creek, McAlpine and McMullen. The closest hiking to Charlotte would be about 45 minutes away at Crowders Mountain State Park: Crowders Mountain State Park Trails | Charlotte North Carolina Hikes | Trails.com

Best non-chain restaurants would be Zada Jane's, Hotel Charlotte, The Penguin, Carpe Diem, just to name a few.

Best shopping, South Park for upscale.

Top employers, Family Dollar, US Air, CMS schools, Duke Power, Harris Teeter.

East Charlotte for rental property.
I think that Duke Power is breaking ground for the training facility this week. Duke Energy to build large training facility in Kings Mountain - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 08-16-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that Duke Power is breaking ground for the training facility this week. Duke Energy to build large training facility in Kings Mountain - Charlotte Business Journal

Woo hoo! Good for Kings Mountain, a great little town

Old 08-16-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Woo hoo! Good for Kings Mountain, a great little town
I thought I would throw that in because I don't know if they have a training facility in Charlotte, but they will be consolidating the training facilities into the Kings Mountain location, so that should be kept in mind. It would make a difference to someone if they applied to do training in Charlotte for where to relocate to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or