U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 19,903 times

Advertisements

I took my Ford Explorer in to Midas yesterday for an oil change and they completely screwed my car up. Now, it is a very old car so I don't really feel like I have a good leg to stand on as far as legal action, but there are several things wrong with the car right now that were not a problem before I took it in to be serviced.

1.) As soon as I got home, came in the house for about 15 minutes, went back outside and there was a puddle of antifreeze leaking from the radiator. I bought some of that leak-repair stuff and that seems to have helped a lot, though its still leaking a little bit.

2.) When I was leaving walmart I noticed that the transmission seemed to be slipping. After a few tries I got the car to accelerate and was able to make it home. Like I said, this is an old car so I was very worried that the transmission might really be going bad. I checked the transmission fluid this morning and it was completely empty, i looked under the car and noticed a puddle of either oil or transmission fluid in the driveway ( I couldn't tell which one). I checked the oil and it seemed fine, so I'm guess the ATF leaked out.

This is infuriating because neither of these were a problem before. I didn't drive my car all weekend, it sat in the same place in the driveway and as of Monday morning there were NO PUDDLES or leaks to be seen. And as soon as I get the car back from Midas (after an hour long oil change I might add), I have not one but two leaks? I don't know a whole lot about cars but I wasn't born yesterday and this seems to be an unlikely coincidence.

I am going to report them to every Consumer Reporting agency I can find and the BBB. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knew of a trust worthy mechanic in town so i can avoid this in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM

187 posts, read 604,121 times
I go to walmart on sardis road for oil changes and tires ...good service

Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,933,011 times
Hickory Grove Automotive (Larry Benz).

Make sure you file a complaint with the NC attorney general's office.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:51 PM

241 posts, read 687,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhagw View Post
I go to walmart on sardis road for oil changes and tires ...good service
Does Wal Mart offer any benefits if you purchase tires through them? And what does an oil change cost for a 4 Cyl Honda? I used to go to BJ's, but I now live closer to the Wal Mart..

Old 06-26-2007, 04:14 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,933,011 times
I used to take my car to Walmart for oil changes, but I have a Buick now and the dealer down the street does it for $7.77 no gimmicks.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:20 PM

241 posts, read 687,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I used to take my car to Walmart for oil changes, but I have a Buick now and the dealer down the street does it for $7.77 no gimmicks.
I take it i would have to buy a vehicle from this dealer. Wow, it dont get much lower than that. Please give me location if I would be eligible.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:13 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,420,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin0031 View Post
I took my Ford Explorer in to Midas yesterday for an oil change and they completely screwed my car up. Now, it is a very old car so I don't really feel like I have a good leg to stand on as far as legal action, but there are several things wrong with the car right now that were not a problem before I took it in to be serviced.

1.) As soon as I got home, came in the house for about 15 minutes, went back outside and there was a puddle of antifreeze leaking from the radiator. I bought some of that leak-repair stuff and that seems to have helped a lot, though its still leaking a little bit.

2.) When I was leaving walmart I noticed that the transmission seemed to be slipping. After a few tries I got the car to accelerate and was able to make it home. Like I said, this is an old car so I was very worried that the transmission might really be going bad. I checked the transmission fluid this morning and it was completely empty, i looked under the car and noticed a puddle of either oil or transmission fluid in the driveway ( I couldn't tell which one). I checked the oil and it seemed fine, so I'm guess the ATF leaked out.

This is infuriating because neither of these were a problem before. I didn't drive my car all weekend, it sat in the same place in the driveway and as of Monday morning there were NO PUDDLES or leaks to be seen. And as soon as I get the car back from Midas (after an hour long oil change I might add), I have not one but two leaks? I don't know a whole lot about cars but I wasn't born yesterday and this seems to be an unlikely coincidence.

I am going to report them to every Consumer Reporting agency I can find and the BBB. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knew of a trust worthy mechanic in town so i can avoid this in the future.
I am hardly a fan of Midas, BUT you don't know what happened and neither do I. You are wasting your time complaining to everybody you can find. Why not take the car back to Midas and without going off on them ask them to identify the leaks? It is hard to reconstruct how an oil change would have caused a radiator/transmission cooler problem, but if it did perhaps they will take care of it. If you can't get answers from Midas take the car to a real shop. The "leak repair stuff" is not going to fix your car.

As far as why did it leak after the oil change? Who knows at this point. Could be causation could be NOT causation. As a shop owner my first priority is to find out what is actually wrong with the vehicle. Sometimes it point to previous service or repairs, sometimes it doesn't.

MORE INFORMATION NEEDED

Don in Austin

Old 08-07-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
They are willing to lose that much money on every oil change and there are no gimmicks???

Don in Austin

Old 08-07-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Hickory Grove Automotive (Larry Benz).

Make sure you file a complaint with the NC attorney general's office.
Why would she file a complaint when she has no clue what happened and Midas has not had an opportunity to correct the problem -- if indeed they caused it. Not a fan of Midas, hardly!! But fair is fair.

Don in Austin

Old 08-07-2016, 07:18 AM

OOPS -- ancient thread! My comments still apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte