U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM

295 posts, read 452,043 times

Advertisements

Walmart gets blamed for selling cheap stuff from China...but I have checked some of their merchandise in the $500-$1000 range with other retailers and also online at overstock...and guess what 'same' is available for lot more from others....why would I not prefer Walmart after a reality check....There are certain items bought better from Walmart and then there are those that a section of population wont buy....The store stocks what it wants to sell...people will vote with their feet if it stays or goes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,685,962 times
Personally, I don't like Wal-Mart, but not b/c of everyone else's hatred of it, but b/c of the hassle of trying to find parking and the fact that they put in all of those cash registers and less than half of them are open all the time, and don't get me started on the receipt check person who stands there and check your receipt before you leave just to make sure you paid for your purchase, like they don't trust you or something, they see you paying @ the Check Out line, what's the point of even hiring someone just to do that? I try to avoid it like the plague as much as possible, just like the malls, I don't go to either one if I don't have to!

Old 08-19-2010, 12:19 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,567,743 times
They do have good prices on milk though, and I read a lot of their produce is local. As for their merchandise I try to shop elsewhere.

Milk is so expensive in the south, I look for any price break I can get with 3 kids that go through 4 gallons a week.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:22 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,934,491 times
I never have trouble finding parking when I go to the Walmart across from the Concord Mills Mall. I am not parked 5 feet away from the front door but that doesnt bother me. I dont think I have ever been stopped on exit for a receipt check either.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,452,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
I think that being opening day, the aisles just aren't crowded with junk yet. I'm used to WalMarts being crowded with merchandise. This one almost seemed spartan. I guess that's what happens when it's all perfectly arranged and in the right place on that first day.
The reason that you are used with the aisle being crowded with junk is because the main walkways always had display pallets dotted throughout. Then after market research, Walmart decided to remove the displays from "Action Alley" to give the shopper a more pleasant, less cramped, experience (like Target).
Turns out that the shopper hasn't put as much into their buggy in the 'clean' store format, so Walmart basically spent a fortune re-modelling their stores only to experience a sales reduction. The guy who suggested a "clean store" look is no longer in-charge. The transition back to displays in Action Alley has already begun. The store in Indian Land maybe an anomaly though, as their Action Alley is too narrow to go back to the traditional look, so I don't think that they'll be able to make the switch back.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:48 PM

160 posts, read 357,685 times
Yeh!!! Thank goodness someone brought in all those low paying service jobs!!! Does walmart offer health insurance yet, or do they still have the policy of keeping people at 35 hrs/wk so they don't have to? Is it still company policy to take out life insurance policies on their elderly workers hoping they die so they can make money?

What a horrible place to spend your money. I don't care how much you save - you are doing tremendous harm to this country. What's worse is you don't even recognize it.

In 6 months it will be like every other walmart in this country, an eyesore.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 PM

604 posts, read 1,131,100 times
If old Sam Walton could hear them now!!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:58 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,452,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
In 6 months it will be like every other walmart in this country, an eyesore.
Nonsense. There are Walmarts that look the same now as the day they opened.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:47 AM

12,386 posts, read 7,447,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
and don't get me started on the receipt check person who stands there and check your receipt before you leave just to make sure you paid for your purchase, like they don't trust you or something, they see you paying @ the Check Out line, what's the point of even hiring someone just to do that? I try to avoid it like the plague as much as possible, just like the malls, I don't go to either one if I don't have to!
Sam's Club does that, not Walmart. I've never once had Walmart check my receipt and I shop their at least once, if not twice, a week. And really the only reason they do it at Sam's Club is because they don't use bags, which makes it a lot easier to go through the pharmacy area, by pass the checkouts, and walk right out the door. Who's to say that the cart full of tomato sauce barrels was paid for or not. Especially on busy days, they can't keep track of who has gone through the lines and who hasn't. It may sound a little rude that they check to see if you're stealing, but thats what people agree to when they sign a contract there.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 AM

12,386 posts, read 7,447,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
Nonsense. There are Walmarts that look the same now as the day they opened.
And then there are ones like the one in University area. It opened just over a year ago, but already looks like its been there forever. I go over to the Concord Mills Walmart when I need to go. It opened at about the same time, but looks so much nicer and has stayed clean. They also seem to be able to keep things stocked better at the Concord location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte