Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 01:30 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Are there any churches around here that are popular with the younger crowd? I have been to church a few times and its pretty much always entirely senior citizens.
CharlotteONE I think they only meet on Tuesday nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 02:28 PM

91 posts, read 168,804 times
I went through something like this. A couple of suggestions i would make

-Put your self in a position to meet new people. This could be a job, Club, Sport, Volunteer work, or church group.
-Open up and start talking to people you do not know. This is always a little intimidating but waiting for someone else to make the 1st move does not work.
-Listen, Everyone likes to talk about themselves makes sure you listen. Here are a dozen conversation starters to help you.

What was the first concert you went to see?
What did you do to get pocket money as a child?
What do you know how to say in a foreign language?
What is the strangest food you have ever eaten?
What in your life is more important than money?
When was the first time you saw the ocean?
Who is someone from your past that you are sorry you lost track of?
If you could see 24 hours into the future what would you do with this ability?
If you had it to do over again what would you study in school?
What is the funniest thing you have heard a child say?
When have you had to move your home?
What was your favorite childhood toy
When was the worst Valentine Day?
What was the last sporting event you went to?

Top Get To Know You Questions and Conversation Starters

Old 08-23-2010, 04:14 PM

644 posts, read 1,429,961 times
I realize its a family oriented city, but not all young singles can live in Atlanta, Miami, NYC, etc. There has to be plenty around here in a city this size. As far as the snob thing, that is the kind of atmosphere I've noticed in the club scene that has kind of turned me off from it. Everybody hangs with their cliques and there is very little intermingling and meeting new people.[/quote]

Very true....if Charlotte is full of transplants....then why are the people here snobbish?? Because I know people in New York are def. not like that at all. (Not bashing Charlotte) but this is the ONLY place I have EVER been to where you go out (party, club, concert) and you can't meet people b/c everyone looks at you as though you are inferior. Isn't alcohol suppose to make people more fun and loose??

Old 08-23-2010, 05:24 PM

41 posts, read 55,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I realize its a family oriented city, but not all young singles can live in Atlanta, Miami, NYC, etc. There has to be plenty around here in a city this size. As far as the snob thing, that is the kind of atmosphere I've noticed in the club scene that has kind of turned me off from it. Everybody hangs with their cliques and there is very little intermingling and meeting new people.
Very true....if Charlotte is full of transplants....then why are the people here snobbish?? Because I know people in New York are def. not like that at all. (Not bashing Charlotte) but this is the ONLY place I have EVER been to where you go out (party, club, concert) and you can't meet people b/c everyone looks at you as though you are inferior. Isn't alcohol suppose to make people more fun and loose??[/quote]

I have been out about 5 times...You are right on the money! I have lived in Tampa, Sanibel, Naples, Boca, NY & even GA (on business) and they dont treat people like this there. Going out used to be fun...not here!
I had worked in the night club scene for almost 16 years & have never have seen such a dreary, dismal nightlife like I have encountered here in Charlotte. Thats why when you look it up on Forbes.com it is listed at number 40 (out of 40 cities) for nightlife.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyMet View Post
I have been out about 5 times...You are right on the money! I have lived in Tampa, Sanibel, Naples, Boca, NY & even GA (on business) and they dont treat people like this there. Going out used to be fun...not here! I had worked in the night club scene for almost 16 years & have never have seen such a dreary, dismal nightlife like I have encountered here in Charlotte. Thats why when you look it up on Forbes.com it is listed at number 40 (out of 40 cities) for nightlife.
Ok so what is the problem here....why is it soo hard to meet people?? If this is such a "booming" progressive city....why can't people just meet people anywhere. (Example One night after leaving club Opera in Atlanta my girlfriend and I were just walking down the street to our car when another couple was just sitting on their balcony and yelled down to us asking us questions about the Club. They invited us up when had a couple of drinks and we all became good friends. I have met several friends just on the subway, or walking or at pro games. Here when I try to talk to people they look at me like I have 3 heads. What is wrong with Charlotteans??? Why are you so snobby??

Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Because a lot of Charlotteans are Northeast transplants and that's not what the culture is like up there?

I haven't had any problems meeting folks here, personally.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Because a lot of Charlotteans are Northeast transplants and that's not what the culture is like up there?
Actually that's not what the culture is like. Most cities up north are diverse and the people are openminded....and you can mingle with all types of people from every background....and people don't look down on you

Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
"Actually that's not what the culture is like. Most cities up north are diverse and the people are openminded....and you can mingle with all types of people from every background....and people don't look down on you"

Grew up in NYC area, went to college in Boston. This is definitely not my experience. In the NE, people are clannish and standoffish and definitely don't trust strangers. Try that balcony trick in New Hampshire or Maine and you'll get something thrown at you. During my first two or so years down here, I was constantly thinking people were trying to rob me or take advantage of mye somehow if they struck up a casual conversation. My body language would immediately shout, "Back off, freak".

Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM

Lol really.....I lived I'm Queens until I was 16....never had a problem them...I hung out with the jr united nations....I guess people everywhere....just like to stick with what they know....but for the most poart I don't have a problem meeting people anywhere

Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Actually that's not what the culture is like. Most cities up north are diverse and the people are openminded....and you can mingle with all types of people from every background....and people don't look down on you
I spent my childhood in Michigan & most of my life in the South Jersey suburbs of Philly & in Philly. In all 3 locations, people will readily talk to strangers. Invite total strangers into an apartment or home? Not likely. 20 or 30 years ago, yes, that would have happened. Some elderly people still do it( I used to have a problem with my father doing that, until an elderly woman near him did it & ended up dead.)

However. . . if I am talking to a stranger & it turns out that we have a mutal friend, or acquantance, in Philly or South Jersey, that would change the situation. Probably wouldn't invite you in that time but would do a group meetup with the mutual friend.

I have conversations with strangers wherever I go. I live west of Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: