Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,045,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
It seems that for the past year everytime I come on city data it seems that someone has a thread comparing their city to Charlotte and 9 times out of 10 Charlotte seems to get a negative rep. I personally am tired of this as I am sure many Charlotte natives and residents who are on this forum are. it seems that there are a lot of people who know absolutely nothing about Charlotte(except what they read) then make erroneaus comments. Or people who have not visited the city since the early '90s and make assumptions based on what they saw 20 years ago. Charlotte has a vast amount of amenities(attractions, shopping, music, poetry, rec) and businesses other than banking( only accounts for 10% of Charlottes' GDP) that tend to get overlooked. How do yall feel?
It seems to me that, especially in the general US and City vs. City forums, much of the discussion about Charlotte is started by Charlotteans. If one puts oneself out there in the general forums, one ought to be able to take what's dished.
It's important to keep in mind that there's a huge amount of smugness on the general US and city vs city forums. Does anyone remember the smug episode of Southpark? Anyway, there are these large contingents of people who fall into one of the following categories:
  1. Everything that's not in the Northeast is a piece of crap
  2. No city (essentially) built after WWII is a real city
  3. Everything in Texas is the best in the world
  4. Why would anyone want to live West of the Rockies?
  5. Everything in the South is a piece of garbage
  6. Every boom town is going to fail and be just like Detroit in 50 years.
I am actually amazed at how much Charlotte stuff I see on both the City vs City and General US Forums. It's great that there's enough self pride to put one's city out there. However, it's important to understand the nature of the sandbox in which you play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 02:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,800,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It seems to me that, especially in the general US and City vs. City forums, much of the discussion about Charlotte is started by Charlotteans.
I don't see that at all. In this earlier post, I listed the most recent Charlotte threads that were active and out of the six, two were started by Charlotteans (one of them being yours truly). Trust me, the Charlotteans don't go on the general and city vs. city forums and start threads and expect everyone to rant and rave about how great Charlotte is.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:10 PM

13 posts, read 14,628 times
Smile a ny planning 2 move 2 charlotte

i was amazed at the bad remarks i read re:charlotte... ive been living in cape coral florida for almost 6 years now... I lived in ny all my life... my niece lives in charlotte now and is encouraging me 2 come and visit and c how i like it... I plan on doing just that Gods willing next april.. i aw remarks how charlotte is not cultured... not diversified.. nothing 2 do etc.. i wont even mention the rest... but now after reading these posts I know im making the rite decision....I am a black woman with a very mixed background ( my mother is costa rican.. her parents were Jamaican) my dad was born in VA... i was born in bklyn ny.. i worked for nypd for almost 15yrs.. my now ex-husband retired from nypd. and we moved here... I am now rdy to amke my move... I stuck it out here in cape coral long enuff.. The place is really a retirement place... and not enuff blacks here...nothing 2 do.. no Jazz clubs which I love... no decent malls.. no where to get my hair done.. (thank God i have locks) U get the picture.. If i was able 2 deal with this.. no matter what negative remarks I have read how BADCHARLOTTE IS!!! i am quite sure it's all b.s.... nonetheless I am grateful to hv read all the POSITIVE things about charlotte..... I am more encouraged than ever!!!!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,963,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curves View Post
i was amazed at the bad remarks i read re:charlotte... ive been living in cape coral florida for almost 6 years now... I lived in ny all my life... my niece lives in charlotte now and is encouraging me 2 come and visit and c how i like it... I plan on doing just that Gods willing next april.. i aw remarks how charlotte is not cultured... not diversified.. nothing 2 do etc.. i wont even mention the rest... but now after reading these posts I know im making the rite decision....I am a black woman with a very mixed background ( my mother is costa rican.. her parents were Jamaican) my dad was born in VA... i was born in bklyn ny.. i worked for nypd for almost 15yrs.. my now ex-husband retired from nypd. and we moved here... I am now rdy to amke my move... I stuck it out here in cape coral long enuff.. The place is really a retirement place... and not enuff blacks here...nothing 2 do.. no Jazz clubs which I love... no decent malls.. no where to get my hair done.. (thank God i have locks) U get the picture.. If i was able 2 deal with this.. no matter what negative remarks I have read how BADCHARLOTTE IS!!! i am quite sure it's all b.s.... nonetheless I am grateful to hv read all the POSITIVE things about charlotte..... I am more encouraged than ever!!!!
Curves, I'm glad that you didn't let the haters keep you from wanting to move to Charlotte, and I think you will like Charlotte once you get there! I too am black, don't live in Charlotte, but go there every chance I get, and I like it a lot! Apparently your neice likes Charlotte or she wouldn't be telling you to check it out yourself, I'm guessing she's 20 something, but people on here will tell you that Charlotte is only for people over 30 and married with children! Anyway, welcome to Charlotte and I hope everything works out for you!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 08-23-2010 at 12:50 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,963,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You're the only one who notices this to an extreme because it's your city. A lot of cities are bashed out of ignorance on this site, some people even love to hate on places to tick other people off. Charlotte?...I can name 15 other cities that are routinely bashed even more.
I defeinately get what you're saying! When people on here trash on supposedly world-class cities such as Chicago, L.A., and Miami, it's like every other city is fair game on city-data, except for New York, of course!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,268,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I think that there are three sides of the coin here:

1. People who love Charlotte and are very patriotic to the city, somewhat defensive (sometimes warranted) and desire the city to be in a favorable light.
2. People who have visited, don't prefer sunbelt cities (like me) and therefore rate it negatively.
3. People who make assumptions based on what they've read and rate it negatively.

Each type of person comes in a different level of intensity, but it's to be expected. I think that the "bashing" goes all around with a few exceptions (e.g. NYC, San Fran, Boston). In any event, it's mostly composed of southern city-lovers either complaining about northern crime, density and urban blight OR by northerners complaining about southern sprawl, lack of urban qualities and chain establishments.

In other words, it's not just Charlotte.
I think that is mainly the case. It's mainly a case against the development pattern of Charlotte which follows a spoke system develpment without a grid. Most NE and early 20th century (and before then) followed grid patterns and developed around a core that spread out.

There is sprawl in both instances, it's just folks complain how Charlotte is dependant on car transportation but forget the logic that they most likely own a car.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
charlotte kicks ass

Old 08-26-2010, 04:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,268,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 704/980 View Post
charlotte kicks ass
I guess that's the easiest way to put it.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 AM

7,574 posts, read 10,706,619 times
I'm not really sure what it is. I am from Atlanta and don't really want to "bash" any place, but one thing I will say from an Atlantan perspective on these forums (and others). There are tons of people from Charlotte that are comparing their improvements to Atlanta and they often say it in a way where they are putting down Atlanta or say things that are radically not true (like a comparison of skylines and amounts of class A office space).

I am not really sure what is causing this, but even looking at the Atlanta vs.. whatever city... I see Atlanta-Charlotte paired together alot and they aren't all from Atlanta (in fact most seem to be charlotte oriented from the original perspective)

Generally speaking I like to compare my city to others of a similar size (Dallas, Houston, Washington D.C.), since we are more likely to have similar issues and its easier to compare how different cities addressed those issues. Sometimes I look at cities that are larger in an effort to look at what Atlanta might face in the future.

But anyways... the reason I mention this is it seems like some people from Charlotte can be very defensive even when just comparing size of office space or other factors. Charlotte being a smaller city is going to have less, but for some reason people are defensive about that. To me that doesn't make one city better than the other, but just affects what the city itself is like.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 AM

985 posts, read 1,891,031 times
I actually think the Charlotte people are much more favorable than many of the other forums on city data..I have been looking on and off at many for years ... it's the "grass is always greener" in a way I believe

If you look at what they are complaining about you can say metro area has good and bad it's just a fact no where will be prefect for everyone, and not each place is a place that fits a range of people from age groups to certain backgrounds.

You have to always look at what is right for you and your family or situation at the time you are moving or looking to relocate. It is a great means to start the digging process just being able to follow what is really important to you and yours.

There are peopletrying very hard to move back to MI...we have the highest unemployment rate asn man other problems as well,but there are good things too.

I personally have seen morf hard core bashing on other cities...northeastern, midwestern, etc.

You have to read through but what is the most important part is knowing what will mea the most to your. It isn't mush helpful to just go on the reviews alone.

No place is "perfect" for all...but we would all like to be close to what is "prefect" for us as individuals and families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte