U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 PM

634 posts, read 1,210,178 times

Advertisements

Sorry....I. meant when they say Charlotte has more than Atlanta....and actually Atlanta is the 7th most visted city in the county.....32.5 million vistors last year......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 PM

21,996 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Sorry....I. meant when they say Charlotte has more than Atlanta....and actually Atlanta is the 7th most visted city in the county.....32.5 million vistors last year......
You need to learn to relax & take things as they come. If Charlotte has more of one thing than Atlanta, I'm sure that Atlanta has more of something else. It really doesn't matter, in the grand scheme of life. If you can relax & enjoy the moment, wherever you are, your life will be so much more pleasant.

You do understand that some people will say things to provoke a response. Don't take the bait.

I came here from the Philadelphia metro. There are times when I'll miss something but there are other things here. Guess what? Most of the things that I occasionally mis are not in Atlanta either. It makes an occasional trip to Philly special.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:04 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,816,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'm not really sure what it is. I am from Atlanta and don't really want to "bash" any place, but one thing I will say from an Atlantan perspective on these forums (and others). There are tons of people from Charlotte that are comparing their improvements to Atlanta and they often say it in a way where they are putting down Atlanta or say things that are radically not true (like a comparison of skylines and amounts of class A office space).

I am not really sure what is causing this, but even looking at the Atlanta vs.. whatever city... I see Atlanta-Charlotte paired together alot and they aren't all from Atlanta (in fact most seem to be charlotte oriented from the original perspective)

Generally speaking I like to compare my city to others of a similar size (Dallas, Houston, Washington D.C.), since we are more likely to have similar issues and its easier to compare how different cities addressed those issues. Sometimes I look at cities that are larger in an effort to look at what Atlanta might face in the future.

But anyways... the reason I mention this is it seems like some people from Charlotte can be very defensive even when just comparing size of office space or other factors. Charlotte being a smaller city is going to have less, but for some reason people are defensive about that. To me that doesn't make one city better than the other, but just affects what the city itself is like.
You said it, not me. The irony of this thread is that, while Charlotte percieves itself to be bashed, it continually puts itself in the position to take abuse. My advice is to just "be rather than to seem" and everything will be just fine.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:50 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
Dang, folks. Most of us live in a particular place b/c we found work there. "Living" is not a passive experience. You create your own experiences, no matter where you sleep at night.

If Charlotte doesn't have everything you want (and what city does????) - plan a trip, lol.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:02 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You have to defend Atlanta when people say that there are things to do in Charlotte??? Think about that.

Here's the hard, cold reality. Yes, Atlanta has a larger metro . Where is the nearest city to Charlotte with a population of 1 million or more? Philadelphia. Not Atlanta, Philadelphia. http://www.city-data.com/city/Charlo...-Carolina.html

Old 10-15-2010, 01:07 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
only went by what was printed in wikipedia again for the uptenth time.. again wikipedia says that Uptown Charlotte has 25 million visitors a year while downtown Atlanta has 12 million visitors a year( not the individual cities). This was just a statement of what was read. Thats all. Dude maybe its just better for you to go ahead and maybe move back to ATL because your nit pickiness attitude is definitely not a NEW York state of mind or Charlotte state of mind!

Old 12-19-2010, 02:58 PM

15 posts, read 21,217 times
I've just moved here from Alexandria VA. Other than the wreckless drivers I think Charlotte isn't that terrible of a place to live in comparison to the places i've been. The food in the city is superior to most of the places i've been and there is plenty of shopping for convenience. People seem to keep to themselves but maybe because i'm just new. But I definitely feel like one half of Charlotte is completely different in moral than the other half and I may have landed on the bad side but when I go out to bars I tend to get along just fine!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:24 PM

29 posts, read 47,937 times
I think that Richmond, VA, and Hampton Roads, VA, are even more unfairly bashed than Charlotte. For example: some of the longest threads on the Richmond forum include: "Richmond is not diverse", "Am I the only one that connot recommend living in Richmond to ANYONE???", "Richmond's job market is pure trash", "This is why Richmond is NOT safe", etc. Simply put: I don't think y'all have much to worry about.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:40 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,141,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuesmoke1069 View Post
I've just moved here from Alexandria VA. Other than the wreckless drivers I think Charlotte isn't that terrible of a place to live in comparison to the places i've been. The food in the city is superior to most of the places i've been and there is plenty of shopping for convenience. People seem to keep to themselves but maybe because i'm just new. But I definitely feel like one half of Charlotte is completely different in moral than the other half and I may have landed on the bad side but when I go out to bars I tend to get along just fine!
Yes, I see very few wrecks here. Especially in comparison to NOVA. There are some maniac drivers up there. Every day I felt like Dennis Weaver in Duel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte