Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:19 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times

Advertisements

It seems that for the past year everytime I come on city data it seems that someone has a thread comparing their city to Charlotte and 9 times out of 10 Charlotte seems to get a negative rep. I personally am tired of this as I am sure many Charlotte natives and residents who are on this forum are. it seems that there are a lot of people who know absolutely nothing about Charlotte(except what they read) then make erroneaus comments. Or people who have not visited the city since the early '90s and make assumptions based on what they saw 20 years ago. Charlotte has a vast amount of amenities(attractions, shopping, music, poetry, rec) and businesses other than banking( only accounts for 10% of Charlottes' GDP) that tend to get overlooked. How do yall feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:32 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,871,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
How do yall feel?
I feel that even though I come in this forum from my regular ones to have fun with the occasional debate, for the most part this forum seems to be made up of people who are "Geeks" when it comes to cities and development. So many of them come from small towns or even bigger towns that they have never ventured out of much, if at all. Charlotte has come a long way in the last decade, while still maintaining control and that "small" feel to the city as a whole. Several F500 companies have relocated here, the ones that are already here continue to grow; the city has implemented agressive transit projects that include light rail and street cars; they are improving greenways, etc etc etc. These things contributed to me making the decision to move here 5 years ago. I have made good friends and have found great opportunities in the area. The people who may "bash" Charlotte are obviously lost, or have an agenda against a city they have no clue about. In the end, there is no reason to get upset over something that a few people say on an internet forum while they struggle to have real interests in life. No disrespect, but that is the vibe I get constantly. Besides, it is funny to see the way many of them see their own respective cities.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
The same can be stated about the Minneapolis area as well as many others. Most people on this site have no idea what they are talking about and it boils down to complete ignorance or jealousy. I've actually started to find it rather amusing. With that said, let them bash away.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
It seems that for the past year everytime I come on city data it seems that someone has a thread comparing their city to Charlotte and 9 times out of 10 Charlotte seems to get a negative rep.
Really? I see the exact opposite. Most of the recent threads here comparing Charlotte to other cities actually speak pretty favorably about Charlotte:

Knoxville OR Charlotte
Birmingham metro vs Charlotte metro
Columbus or Charlotte? A Truthful Journey ...
Austin vs Charlotte vs Columbus vs Indianapolis vs Sacramento
Albuquerque, Charlotte, or Omaha?
Skyline battle: Baltimore vs. Charlotte

The only exception recently would be the Atlanta/Charlotte thread.

If you want to see cities that TRULY get ragged on, check out the Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas threads. They are MUCH more plentiful and harsher. Honestly, Charlotte really gets very little play here, but just by your starting this thread, unfortunately you've probably created a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:45 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It's not that serious at all. You probably only notice the threads with "Charlotte" in it, but if you want to see cities that TRULY get ragged on, check out the Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas threads. They are MUCH more plentiful and harsher. Charlotte really gets very little play here, but just by your starting this thread, unfortunately you've probably created a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I was about to mention that as well. You notice your city the most because you're from there or live there when in fact plenty of other cities are getting bashed daily on this forum. In other words, you're not alone on how you feel. That's why so many threads have all these people defending their city, because they thinks it's misunderstood. But I don't think Charlotte is bashed much at all on here. Seems well liked.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
You're the only one who notices this to an extreme because it's your city. A lot of cities are bashed out of ignorance on this site, some people even love to hate on places to tick other people off. Charlotte?...I can name 15 other cities that are routinely bashed even more.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:01 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Charlotte is only bashed when it is put next to Atlanta. Other than that it is usually mentioned in a positive light unless it's brought into a north vs south argument.
I do agree that it's funny to see how people feel view their own city and their reaction when they realize that the outside world sees it differently.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 08-19-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
I think that there are three sides of the coin here:

1. People who love Charlotte and are very patriotic to the city, somewhat defensive (sometimes warranted) and desire the city to be in a favorable light.
2. People who have visited, don't prefer sunbelt cities (like me) and therefore rate it negatively.
3. People who make assumptions based on what they've read and rate it negatively.

Each type of person comes in a different level of intensity, but it's to be expected. I think that the "bashing" goes all around with a few exceptions (e.g. NYC, San Fran, Boston). In any event, it's mostly composed of southern city-lovers either complaining about northern crime, density and urban blight OR by northerners complaining about southern sprawl, lack of urban qualities and chain establishments.

In other words, it's not just Charlotte.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:20 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
If I see negative commentary about Charlotte, it seems to be coming from the same posters that proffer the same treatment to other Sunbelt cities. This I am guessing is a response to their private bitterness over the major shifts in population from their region to the South and West.
BTW, the was a program last night here that featured progress on the Atlanta Beltline. It spoke at length about the Charlotte Lynx Line, which Atlanta hopes to emulate for the Beltline. Charlotte came off looking like a real star!

Atlanta Beltline Uses Charlotte As Example - Atlanta Beltline News Story - WSB Atlanta

Old 08-19-2010, 02:25 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Open your eyes, its not just charlotte.. You can ask anyone on here, everyone thinks their city gets bashed the most on here. Even ppl from NYC think their city gets bashed.. And its true, I dont think any city has never been bashed on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte