U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:55 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,568,005 times

Advertisements

Black widows and velvet ants are the 2 scariest bugs I've seen. Velvet ants are really in the wasp family and don't bother you unless you pick them up. But they are quite a site and have one of the most painful stings I heard.

We have the fire ants near our yard, no problem with them though. My son did step on a hill when we first moved down and still talks about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 06:56 AM

9,564 posts, read 8,848,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The cow says moo. View Post
I just read a post about fire ants and thought, "oh my lord, what are fire ants?!"

My question is: What types of insects should I be on the lookout for and what are my defense options? I am moving to Charlotte shortly (from NY, shocker.) and I just want to be prepared.

PS - I have taken on a NYC roach and won after striking it hundreds of times with a shoe so I'm not terribly wimpy...but you know. I just like to know what I'm getting into here.

PPS - Seriously - hundreds of times....
Black widows and brown recluses......black widows are everywhere around here.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 AM

841 posts, read 2,136,187 times
I moved down from NYC just over 2 years ago and I had never heard of Fire Ants either. Well I learned about them the hard way! I had a fire ant hill on the side of my house - we had just put down sod and I walked up to it - barefoot - to take a closer look..I started poking it with a stick and thought it was so cool that millions of them were coming out of the hill...but not cool when they attacked my feet!..Those stings hurt!! and for some reason...the stings ended up lasting for almost 2 weeks and they itched like crazy! My husband bought some fire ant killer stuff at Lowes and it got rid of them...Now I definitely stay away from those hills when I see them.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:04 PM

737 posts, read 1,871,946 times
We had mounds our first 2 years here, but nothing yet this year. I always walk the lawn before I mow scoping out what might be there lurking...

Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
don't forget those evil little black ants that look harmless, but, eat your outdoor electronics! (like air conditioners) Found out about those the hard way when they ate a component in my A/C every week for about a month. Now, I have an exterminator for the outside of my house! Keeps the little buggers under control. (pun intended)

Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 PM

873 posts, read 1,539,252 times
More good, credible information...LOL. I remember treating yards for fire ants in southwest Charlotte in 1995.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
They have been migrating North and have made their way into the Charlotte area over the last 5 or so years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte