Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM

21 posts, read 88,621 times

Advertisements

Is the property tax for a vehicle assessed only after it is registered? For example, I know ALL personal property is to be listed, but when the time comes to list all of that are automobiles required to be listed at that time? Or is it only taxed after it is registered? (What if I have an unregistered car on my property?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:37 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
SSSHHHH dont tell anyone but my FL tag is expired and I haven't had a chance to switch over. I do have a NC DL and insurance though..

Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 AM

930 posts, read 2,161,194 times
I moved to NC in June of 2007. My husband had to get his NC driver's license for a job, we called our insurance company and changed our address to NC. He got his plates in Jan. He was stopped by a cop because he didn't use a blinker and the cop said nothing about a NC driver's and a Fl plate. I didn't get my plates until they expired the last day of June 2008. Actually, I got my driver's license in NC the week before. I wasn't ready to commit. LOL
My next door neighbor is a Mechlenburg county(I think) and he said they give you a good three months after your plates have even expired to pull you over. I have seen FL cars running around with plates that expired in May and June still. When we changed our insurance to NC our rates cut in half, literally. My husband's tax for his 2003 Dodge 1500 was $60. And when I got my plates it was $218 plus had to get it inspected for $30. That was basically why I waited. I am not used to paying all of the taxes that NC wants and it is killing me. I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 AM

21 posts, read 88,621 times
so, did you have to pay taxes on the vehicles before they were registered and the tags transfered over? I am trying to find out how taxes would be paid (or if they are paid) on vehicles that do not have NC tags yet.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 PM

You don't have to pay taxes on a vehicle that is not registered in NC. NC doesn't know it's even here if it's not registered.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I don't see how anyone is getting away w/ not registering cars here - unless they are renting. Cause when they start putting the tax rolls together each year, they match up names, addresses, taxes, license tags, driver's licenses, etc.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
I moved to NC in June of 2007. My husband had to get his NC driver's license for a job, we called our insurance company and changed our address to NC. He got his plates in Jan. He was stopped by a cop because he didn't use a blinker and the cop said nothing about a NC driver's and a Fl plate. I didn't get my plates until they expired the last day of June 2008. Actually, I got my driver's license in NC the week before. I wasn't ready to commit. LOL
My next door neighbor is a Mechlenburg county(I think) and he said they give you a good three months after your plates have even expired to pull you over. I have seen FL cars running around with plates that expired in May and June still. When we changed our insurance to NC our rates cut in half, literally. My husband's tax for his 2003 Dodge 1500 was $60. And when I got my plates it was $218 plus had to get it inspected for $30. That was basically why I waited. I am not used to paying all of the taxes that NC wants and it is killing me. I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan.

Now way, a citation for not using his signal. This must be a double standard because people never use signals around here. Can he fight it.

The only thing that worrys me about my car not being in complience is that they run many license checks and dwi checks. They do give citations during these check points for anything that is not current. Drivers License, license plates, inspection. It's a racket and they know waht they are doing.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go tribe! View Post
so, did you have to pay taxes on the vehicles before they were registered and the tags transfered over? I am trying to find out how taxes would be paid (or if they are paid) on vehicles that do not have NC tags yet.
You don't pay NC taxes until you go to DMV to register your car and obtain license plates. YOu do need a NC Drivers license to accomplish this. Make sure you take cash or checks because they don't take debit or credit cards.

The taxes hurt when you do the upfront registration. After that the taxes are paid yearly. When you don't pay they block your registration renewal.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Now way, a citation for not using his signal. This must be a double standard because people never use signals around here. Can he fight it.

The only thing that worrys me about my car not being in complience is that they run many license checks and dwi checks. They do give citations during these check points for anything that is not current. Drivers License, license plates, inspection. It's a racket and they know waht they are doing.
He didn't get cited. But that is why the cop said he stopped him. He never gave another reason and my husband told him he was new to the area and he didn't realize he was at his turn. He said o.k. and let him go. But he didn't say anything about the NC drivers and the Fl registration.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't see how anyone is getting away w/ not registering cars here - unless they are renting. Cause when they start putting the tax rolls together each year, they match up names, addresses, taxes, license tags, driver's licenses, etc.

How would they even know that you owned a car just because you have a driver's license?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte