Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,475 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what age/height/weight a child must be to ride in the front seat in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 04:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Does anyone know what age/height/weight a child must be to ride in the front seat in NC?

buckleupnc.org

5 years and 40 lbs if the carseat is rated for use with airbags.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:39 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Not below 13 years old and should be taller than 5 feet ... if not then please turn off the airbag is possible.

The safest place is always the middle of the back seat.

Just because the state law may be different doesn't mean you should overlook how seriously injured a person can be if the airbag goes off on a child or a small person in the front seat of a vehicle.

(fwiw I used to work for an automotive components company for 15 years and there are national safety standards not every state follows)

Please be safe it really isn't worth the childs life

Old 10-06-2010, 04:51 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
Not below 13 years old and should be taller than 5 feet ... if not then please turn off the airbag is possible.

The safest place is always the middle of the back seat.

Just because the state law may be different doesn't mean you should overlook how seriously injured a person can be if the airbag goes off on a child or a small person in the front seat of a vehicle.

(fwiw I used to work for an automotive components company for 15 years and there are national safety standards not every state follows)

Please be safe it really isn't worth the childs life
I like your advice, believe me, mine will be in the back seat until they are 32. Just had a situation arise and was considering putting my 11 in the front. Think I'll wait another year.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:24 PM

587 posts, read 1,624,558 times
I worked at a children's hospital on the rehab unit for a time and while I was there, we had a 16 year old girl who came in with severe spinal injury from a passenger seat airbag. She was approx. 5 ft. tall and weighed about 90 lbs. at the time of the injury. She was wearing a seatbelt. The doctors on the unit said the injury was a result of her size. SO, my thinking from that was that my kids wouldn't be in the front seat until they were at least 100 lbs., and certainly over 5 ft. tall. I remember having the discussion at a staff meeting at the time, that a petite adult woman could easily be the same size and the doctors felt that it would be risky for anyone of that size to be in the front seat with an airbag on, regardless of age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte