Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:29 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I suspect that the answer is none. You just have to scratch the surface.

Teeter competed with Publix in Greenville & lost. Teeter goes as far north as Delaware.
As far as an "agreement," it simply is a matter of market share. I agree with SB. It is all competition and stores don't open until they have a clear picture on demographics and buying trends as well as market saturation. HT has it saturated here so unless there is a specific area that it would make sense for distribution and warehousing . . . it just doesn't add up to a solid bottom line. I am sure Wegman's would be interested in coming to any market where it made sense to do business (i.e, was profitable), and I don't think it would make sense here. You have to look at the big picture, wh/ includes shipping and warehouse distribution in the case of grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 08:36 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As far as an "agreement," it simply is a matter of market share. I agree with SB. It is all competition and stores don't open until they have a clear picture on demographics and buying trends as well as market saturation. HT has it saturated here so unless there is a specific area that it would make sense for distribution and warehousing . . . it just doesn't add up to a solid bottom line. I am sure Wegman's would be interested in coming to any market where it made sense to do business (i.e, was profitable), and I don't think it would make sense here. You have to look at the big picture, wh/ includes shipping and warehouse distribution in the case of grocery stores.

Unfortunately, as you will see, some people have unreasonable expectations, and no matter how many facts they are given, will refuse to believe anything other than what they want to believe.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Sorry folks...Wegmans is a family owned regional chain (like most other grocery store chains) and in this case, that region is the northeast/ mid-atlantic. Their headquarters is in the Rochester, NY area, over 1/3 of their total stores are in Upstate, NY and their distribution center is in Pennsylvania (central to their scope of expansion). Their latest expansion has been into thew New England market. You moved away, and you won't get a Wegmans down there. Get over it.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:30 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Ani, I started a thread on the Greenville/Spartanburg board, some time ago. Apparently, Teeter & Publix went there, BiLo ran Teeter out, & Publix weathered the storm & stayed.

Supermarket distribution centers function for ~250 miles. Wegmans would have to set up a distribution center in Richmond to serve southern VA & northern NC before they opened a distribution center that would serve Charlotte.

In the mean time, Publix & Ingles are aimed at Charlotte. Ingles decimates Food Lion. If Publix damages Teeter, it could change the dynamic & might make it more profitable for a big chain to come from the north.

In the mean time, apparently BiLo has acquired the remnants of Winn Dixie, & would like to exit the Charlotte area, to focus south. It could get very interesting.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I know a lot would have to happen before Wegmans came to Charlotte, I was just saying I wouldn't totally rule it out, and did say it would probably be awhile. But they have been expanding in MD and VA as well as New England, and have a store as far south as Fredericksburg. For a "regional" chain with only 75 stores, they cover a pretty wide area, with stores in 6 different states from Massachusetts to Virginia.

And as far as the profitability goes, the DC market that Wegmans is entering now is much more competitive than Charlotte, with the two main chains being part of two of the largest grocery companies in the country: Safeway and Giant. Harris Teeter is the low man on the totem pole there, although of course there aren't as many stores there as there are here and they have been expanding. So I don't think Wegmans would have a problem competing with HT, Lowes, Bi-Lo and Food Lion. Now if Publix (and maybe Ingles) expand more into Charlotte, that could be a different story.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I know a lot would have to happen before Wegmans came to Charlotte, I was just saying I wouldn't totally rule it out, and did say it would probably be awhile. But they have been expanding in MD and VA as well as New England, and have a store as far south as Fredericksburg. For a "regional" chain with only 75 stores, they cover a pretty wide area, with stores in 6 different states from Massachusetts to Virginia.

And as far as the profitability goes, the DC market that Wegmans is entering now is much more competitive than Charlotte, with the two main chains being part of two of the largest grocery companies in the country: Safeway and Giant. Harris Teeter is the low man on the totem pole there, although of course there aren't as many stores there as there are here and they have been expanding. So I don't think Wegmans would have a problem competing with HT, Lowes, Bi-Lo and Food Lion. Now if Publix (and maybe Ingles) expand more into Charlotte, that could be a different story.
Publix is now building in the charlotte market, on the SC side. Ingles is already in the MSA & CSA. They finally got permission to build in Lincolnton just before Bob Ingle, the founder, died. His son, Bob II, declared a 1 year moritorium on expansion, but has enlarged the frozen foods distribution center. When the year is up, expect them to continue from the west while Publix approaches from the south.

Both stores apparently have played well together in Greenville/Spartanburg for years.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yup, they've already "infringed" in NoVA and MD. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wegmans make their way down to NC eventually, but it could be a little while.
It is not in their 15 year plan...so we have a long while. I have gotten over it and get the "only at wegmans" stuff when I head north.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
I really like Harris Teeter. Charlotte actually has a lot of different grocery stores. Most places I have lived only have one or two competing chains plus Wal-Mart. Charlotte has Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Lowe's Foods, Bi-Lo, and Bloom plus specialty stores like Trader Joe's, Earthfare, and soon to be Whole Foods.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I really like Harris Teeter. Charlotte actually has a lot of different grocery stores. Most places I have lived only have one or two competing chains plus Wal-Mart. Charlotte has Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Lowe's Foods, Bi-Lo, and Bloom plus specialty stores like Trader Joe's, Earthfare, and soon to be Whole Foods.
Bloom was closed down at least a year ago.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:44 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
It is not in their 15 year plan...so we have a long while. I have gotten over it and get the "only at wegmans" stuff when I head north.

Do they give all their store managers the entire company's 15-year plan? That's a serious question, I have no idea, but if so I can see why they are consistently rated as one of the top companies to work for. If not, and no offense, but I just wouldn't really think that a store manager in PA would know the company's plans for southern expansion. But then again, they know a lot more about the plans than I do . And again, by no means am I guaranteeing that there will be a Wegmans in Charlotte, just saying that I wouldn't quite rule it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Bloom was closed down at least a year ago.
The Blooms in Charlotte were converted to Food Lion about a year ago, but they just recently announced that the rest of them (most were in MD/VA) will either be closed or converted to Food Lion (most will be converted to Food Lion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte