Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:19 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Do they give all their store managers the entire company's 15-year plan? That's a serious question, I have no idea, but if so I can see why they are consistently rated as one of the top companies to work for. If not, and no offense, but I just wouldn't really think that a store manager in PA would know the company's plans for southern expansion. But then again, they know a lot more about the plans than I do . And again, by no means am I guaranteeing that there will be a Wegmans in Charlotte, just saying that I wouldn't quite rule it out.

The Blooms in Charlotte were converted to Food Lion about a year ago, but they just recently announced that the rest of them (most were in MD/VA) will either be closed or converted to Food Lion (most will be converted to Food Lion).
I know, the Blooms in Charlotte were converted & the Blooms in Greenville/Spartanburg were either converted or closed, but I figured saying that they were closed was good enough for someone who posted them as a viable choice.

I agree with what you posted about Wegmans. They may have a plan, but plans can change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:35 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
I may have already commented, but if HT is not good enough for you, you got real problems and I feel sorry for you.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I may have already commented, but if HT is not good enough for you, you got real problems and I feel sorry for you.
LLN, no one has problems if they don't think HT is only store to shop for groceries at. Thats a foolish statement.

The have alot of specialty stuff that is extremely lacking and their everyday prices are way too expensive. (ie just off the top of my head, their rolls are awful and their cannolli's suck).

I'm not a HT "hater" and I do go there every week to buy certain things, but I can understand fully why people would like more choices. Even if its not for the bulk of their shopping.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,963 times
[quote=GoPhils;22853240]Do they give all their store managers the entire company's 15-year plan? That's a serious question, I have no idea, but if so I can see why they are consistently rated as one of the top companies to work for. If not, and no offense, but I just wouldn't really think that a store manager in PA would know the company's plans for southern expansion. But then again, they know a lot more about the plans than I do . And again, by no means am I guaranteeing that there will be a Wegmans in Charlotte, just saying that I wouldn't quite rule it out.

Not sure, but I have asked him directly if they were comming and that was his response. It is an amazing corporation to work for and he has been with them for at least 15 years(started as a bagger, went to college with a small scholarship from them, went to johnston and wales in RI with another small scholarship from them, and worked up to a lead store manager and has moved all around the PA system, now in a large market premire store). I could ask again as this was about 3 years ago, sooo maybe in 12 they will be here, but I really doubt it.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:21 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
One thing to reyember...Wegmans is NOT a corporation like Kroger or a subsidiary like Harris Teeter or Food Lion. They are a privately-held family-owned business. Thus, expansion is focused on improving current stores and expanding more in their current market than opening in new markets. It took Wegmans 60 years to open a store outside of the Rochester area (first one opened in Syracuse in the 70's) and 80 years to expand out of the state (first stores in PA/NJ opened in the 90's). Currently they are expanding to New England and continuing to build up their presence in their existing markets in the rest of the northeast/mid-atlantic. Their distribution center (of which all of their stores have to be within a certain radius) is in Pennsylvania. There is no way they are going to open up a new distribution center outside of their current radius any time in the foreseeable future; it doesn't follow their business model. The reason for the stores superior quality and wide range of products carried that go along with affordable prices (while still offering great benefits to their employees) is because they focus on improving much more than expanding. If Wegman's were the type of store that just started popping up everywhere; their quality would be more along the Food Lion or Kroger variety. Sorry folks, no Wegman's for you.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 02-05-2012 at 11:32 AM..

Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
LLN, no one has problems if they don't think HT is only store to shop for groceries at. Thats a foolish statement.

The have alot of specialty stuff that is extremely lacking and their everyday prices are way too expensive. (ie just off the top of my head, their rolls are awful and their cannolli's suck).

I'm not a HT "hater" and I do go there every week to buy certain things, but I can understand fully why people would like more choices. Even if its not for the bulk of their shopping.
I agree, Jack. You are absolutely correct. Harris Teeter is not on most people's radar where I live because they chose to not have nice stores, but they charge the same high prices. Ingles came in & brought stores that are much nicer & cheaper.

Based on what I've seen here, viable chains stand a good chance of coming into Charlotte & establishing themselves. As to Wegmans showing up, they won't do it unless they establish a trail of stores between Northern Va & Charlotte.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:21 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
One thing to reyember...Wegmans is NOT a corporation like Kroger or a subsidiary like Harris Teeter or Food Lion. They are a privately-held family-owned business. Thus, expansion is focused on improving current stores and expanding more in their current market than opening in new markets. It took Wegmans 60 years to open a store outside of the Rochester area (first one opened in Syracuse in the 70's) and 80 years to expand out of the state (first stores in PA/NJ opened in the 90's). Currently they are expanding to New England and continuing to build up their presence in their existing markets in the rest of the northeast/mid-atlantic. Their distribution center (of which all of their stores have to be within a certain radius) is in Pennsylvania. There is no way they are going to open up a new distribution center outside of their current radius any time in the foreseeable future; it doesn't follow their business model. The reason for the stores superior quality and wide range of products carried that go along with affordable prices (while still offering great benefits to their employees) is because they focus on improving much more than expanding. If Wegman's were the type of store that just started popping up everywhere; their quality would be more along the Food Lion or Kroger variety. Sorry folks, no Wegman's for you.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. As I said, by no means am I guaranteeing that there will be a Wegmans in Charlotte. But I think it's foolish to say "sorry folks, no Wegmans for you."

If I'm reading their history correctly, their current distribution center was built in 2004, so it's not impossible that they'd open another one.

I think their recent history of expansion is precisely the reason why I wouldn't be surprised if Wegmans made their way to NC (also from the company history on their website)--

1993: First store outside of NY (PA)
1999: First store in NJ
2004: First store in VA
2005: First store in MD
2011: First store in MA

So, after 20+ years only being in one state, in the past 13 years they've opened stores in 4 new states. Well, folks, NC is the next state south of VA. And no one said anything about them having stores popping up everywhere. As I said before, despite being in 6 different states they only have 75 stores (in comparison, Lowes Foods has 100+ pretty much all in NC). As a result, their stores are able to draw from a wide area (personally, even though I like the place I would not drive 30 minutes to shop at one, but many do). And I've seen some of their stores almost singe-handedly put other stores out of business (for example, the Shoppers in Fredericksburg VA). Their presence in MD/VA has made Safeway and Giant step up their game. LLN, competition is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree, Jack. You are absolutely correct. Harris Teeter is not on most people's radar where I live because they chose to not have nice stores, but they charge the same high prices. Ingles came in & brought stores that are much nicer & cheaper.

Based on what I've seen here, viable chains stand a good chance of coming into Charlotte & establishing themselves. As to Wegmans showing up, they won't do it unless they establish a trail of stores between Northern Va & Charlotte.
I agree with this, which is why I said it could be a little while. But in actuality, Richmond is probably the only stop they'd need to make before hitting NC, although they'd most likely get to Raleigh before Charlotte.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. As I said, by no means am I guaranteeing that there will be a Wegmans in Charlotte. But I think it's foolish to say "sorry folks, no Wegmans for you."

If I'm reading their history correctly, their current distribution center was built in 2004, so it's not impossible that they'd open another one.

I think their recent history of expansion is precisely the reason why I wouldn't be surprised if Wegmans made their way to NC (also from the company history on their website)--

1993: First store outside of NY (PA)
1999: First store in NJ
2004: First store in VA
2005: First store in MD
2011: First store in MA

So, after 20+ years only being in one state, in the past 13 years they've opened stores in 4 new states. Well, folks, NC is the next state south of VA. And no one said anything about them having stores popping up everywhere. As I said before, despite being in 6 different states they only have 75 stores (in comparison, Lowes Foods has 100+ pretty much all in NC). As a result, their stores are able to draw from a wide area (personally, even though I like the place I would not drive 30 minutes to shop at one, but many do). And I've seen some of their stores almost singe-handedly put other stores out of business (for example, the Shoppers in Fredericksburg VA). Their presence in MD/VA has made Safeway and Giant step up their game. LLN, competition is a good thing.

I agree with this, which is why I said it could be a little while. But in actuality, Richmond is probably the only stop they'd need to make before hitting NC, although they'd most likely get to Raleigh before Charlotte.
You're absolutely right about Richmond, but they would need a 2nd distribution center to come into NC, which seems foolish at this point unless they go back & get more density from the other distribution center.

Ingles is the perfect comparison to Wegmans. Both are family owned, but Ingles is over twice the size, as a chain.

Ingles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wegmans Food Markets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ingles has transitioned to the large super-center stores familiar in the MidAtlantic & Midwest. Ingles doesn't need a 2nd distribution center to get to Charlotte. I would suspect, however, that, because of land costs, they will initially stay in the suburbs.

I would not rule Wegmans out, but I would not look for them in the next 5 years. A lot can happen in 5 years. Ingles has been grinding Food Lion into the ground for 3 years where I live. Any expansion will continue that. Publix is approaching as well & if they pick off some of the Teeter shoppers, that sets the stage for others to enter the market.

Last edited by southbound_295; 02-05-2012 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,963 times
I havn't heard back from my family member, so I thought I would send a message to wegmans, below is their response, which I recieved in less than 30 minutes.

Thank you very much for letting us know that you would like to have a Wegmans in your community. We're delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit to one of our stores.

Our stores are located in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and Massachusetts. Your community is quite a distance from our warehouse, which makes daily deliveries impossible. While we have no immediate plans to build in Charlotte NC , who knows what the future will bring. We appreciate your comments and hope you will be able to visit us again soon.

Sincerely,

Sharese
Consumer Response Representative

Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

I would not rule Wegmans out, but I would not look for them in the next 5 years. A lot can happen in 5 years. Ingles has been grinding Food Lion into the ground for 3 years where I live. Any expansion will continue that. Publix is approaching as well & if they pick off some of the Teeter shoppers, that sets the stage for others to enter the market.
So you think Publix coming would make it easier for other chains to come as well? I'm not sure, I think if Publix actually came into NC with more than a few stores that might prevent other chains (including Wegmans) from coming as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte