U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 PM
amp
 
519 posts, read 1,341,442 times
Reputation: 195

Advertisements

I just heard a rumor today that the wegman's family has land somewhere down here already...BUT they have owned for a while...hoping to get some confirmation on that, could be completely a rumor. I still agree though that they are not comming anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 AM
 
5,895 posts, read 7,750,004 times
Reputation: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
ok...here goes....Wegmans raw numbers expansion is not NEARLY as prolific as you seem to think. Yes, they have built new stores in many different areas of the northeast/midatlantic region in recent years....but they are, literally, few and far between. The bulk of their stores are still in the 3 major Upstate NY metro areas (Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse). They are very much a slow-growth/smart-growth company. Their new distribution center is still close enough to where most of their stores are (in NY) while still allowing distribution to stores in a larger radius of the region altogether (ie...allows them to open a few stores in NJ, PA, MD, and NoVA). So if Wegmans wanted to open a store down in NC they would either have to... a) build an extra distribution center further south .....or b) move operations from their current center in PA to one further south. Neither of those is going to happen. The first won't happen because a new, extra, warehouse would only be cost-effective if Wegmans were to build many, many stores in the south in a relatively short period of time (again, goes against their slow-growth business model). The 2nd won't happen because that would cut off the stores not only in their newest expansion into New England....but the bulk of their loyal customer base in upstate NY...that just makes no logistical sense whatsoever.
Yes, their new stores are often far between, but they're not few. Right now they have 79 stores, with official plans to build 10 more in the next 2 years. That's increasing their store count by almost 15%, definitely not chump change.

For the last time, I'm not saying they're definitely coming and if they do it's gonna be a ways away, all I'm saying is I don't understand how you can completely rule out it happening when NC is the next state south of where they already are.

There's even a thread on C-D where someone doesn't even completely rule out the possibility of Wegmans building in Alaska! (but to be fair to the OP of that thread they were only asking about stores like Wegmans, and actually mentioned Harris Teeter as well).

Grocery Stores like Wegmans or Harris Teeter or Whole Foods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM
 
2,108 posts, read 3,589,216 times
Reputation: 2063
Sorry I did not read all this long thread, I just add my $0.02.

My view is that I prefer to buy and encourage expansion of healthy choice stores like:
Trader Joe, EarthFare & WholeFood stores when compared to HT and rest of big box (sell it all) stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 AM
amp
 
519 posts, read 1,341,442 times
Reputation: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Sorry I did not read all this long thread, I just add my $0.02.

My view is that I prefer to buy and encourage expansion of healthy choice stores like:
Trader Joe, EarthFare & WholeFood stores when compared to HT and rest of big box (sell it all) stores.
have you ever been to a wegmans? they offer the same type of products along with other items. Whole foods is way too expensive in my opinion, love it, but I wouldn't want to shop there all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 AM
 
45 posts, read 53,390 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yes, their new stores are often far between, but they're not few. Right now they have 79 stores, with official plans to build 10 more in the next 2 years. That's increasing their store count by almost 15%, definitely not chump change.

For the last time, I'm not saying they're definitely coming and if they do it's gonna be a ways away, all I'm saying is I don't understand how you can completely rule out it happening when NC is the next state south of where they already are.

There's even a thread on C-D where someone doesn't even completely rule out the possibility of Wegmans building in Alaska! (but to be fair to the OP of that thread they were only asking about stores like Wegmans, and actually mentioned Harris Teeter as well).

Grocery Stores like Wegmans or Harris Teeter or Whole Foods?
They had 51 stores when I left there in 96'. So yes, they are very much a slow growth operation. They really study an area before they build a store and put alot of time into designing it to fit the area.
I remember when I was there, they were building a new flagship store and actually had a family come from Italy to build a them a brick wood burning pizza oven in the store.
They really have no reason to come here anytime soon, and if they did, it would probably be to Raliegh anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 AM
 
5,895 posts, read 7,750,004 times
Reputation: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisterd View Post
They had 51 stores when I left there in 96'. So yes, they are very much a slow growth operation. They really study an area before they build a store and put alot of time into designing it to fit the area.
I remember when I was there, they were building a new flagship store and actually had a family come from Italy to build a them a brick wood burning pizza oven in the store.
They really have no reason to come here anytime soon, and if they did, it would probably be to Raliegh anyway.
You're basically agreeing with what I said.

Maybe in 1996 they were a slow growth company, but not really anymore.

And I already said that they wouldn't be in NC anytime soon and if they were that they'd probably hit Raleigh before Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 AM
 
3,118 posts, read 4,151,556 times
Reputation: 2577
If Winston-Salem was successful in lobbying for a Trader Joe's, Charlotte can compel Wegman's to come to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,969 posts, read 3,075,557 times
Reputation: 2884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
If Winston-Salem was successful in lobbying for a Trader Joe's, Charlotte can compel Wegman's to come to town.
You are comparing a national chain to a regional chain. You can hope and dream all you want, but Wegmans is not going to be in NC. We have actual good grocery chains here right now, another chain (esp. considering Publix moving to town) simply isn't needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM
 
105 posts, read 146,148 times
Reputation: 38
Visited Earth Fare today for the first time, felt very similar to Whole Foods. The prices were absurd except for the Organic Red Cabbage $1.79lb, everything else was priced way over the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,786 posts, read 9,388,560 times
Reputation: 5264
What is a Wegman and why would they come to Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top