U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,946,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Someone mentioned Bloom. ........
This is warmed over Foodlion. It's their version of an upscale store. Originally the concept was to introduce a lot of technology in the store to attract upscale yuppie type customers, but generally that technology stuff didn't work out. The first Bloom was built on Harris Blvd about 6 years ago to great fanfare. Mostly, these days, they are converted Foodlions, repackaged food, and higher prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 AM

8,805 posts, read 7,971,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
...but a previous poster spoke of a lack of this type of thing in this area...
Absolutely, and that's where my comments are really directed. The OP listed the "eat in" areas of the supermarket as one of the most important things that made it "better" than our local offerings. I'm of the mind that to most grocery shoppers that is a non-issue. Price and selection are FAR more important factors of what make a grocery store "good" for me.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:43 AM

21,985 posts, read 27,281,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Absolutely, and that's where my comments are really directed. The OP listed the "eat in" areas of the supermarket as one of the most important things that made it "better" than our local offerings. I'm of the mind that to most grocery shoppers that is a non-issue. Price and selection are FAR more important factors of what make a grocery store "good" for me.
My friend & her husband had come down to see his 3 kids. They have to drag groceries from Meijers when they come. She was thrilled to go into Ingles & see everything there that they had brought from Meijers.

I don't understand the Wegman mystique. I like Pathmark & Meijer. ShopRite is OK. I think (& could be totally wrong) that the Ingle family studied those 3 chains when they decided to switch over to the supermarket format. All I know is that I can keep my grocery spending pretty close to the same by using Ingles & Aldi instead of Pathmark & Aldi as my 2 primary stores. I drive past a Food lion to get to the Ingles. A lot of people drive past several Food Lions to get to Ingles. I have seen 1 decent looking Harris Teeter out here, & it could fit in a corner of the Ingles.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:01 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,230,928 times
Disclosure: I really love Wegmans. I will say, though, that the older, smaller stores are not anything impressive. The bigger, nicer ones, though, are amazing. When I moved here from PA, the prices I was used to paying for high-quality, sometimes organic products at Wegmans were comparable to what I find here at Walmart, for the store brand. Plus I had to go to Walmart here instead of my cushy, cozy, friendly Wegmans.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 PM

29 posts, read 76,361 times
There is a rumor that a new grocery store currently trying to get a zoning variance approved in Fort Mill is a Publix:
Ashford neighbors oppose retail plan | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC (http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2010/08/16/1219904/ashford-neighbors-oppose-retail.html - broken link)

Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannab View Post
There is a rumor that a new grocery store currently trying to get a zoning variance approved in Fort Mill is a Publix:
Ashford neighbors oppose retail plan | Fort Mill Times - Fort Mill, SC (http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2010/08/16/1219904/ashford-neighbors-oppose-retail.html - broken link)
LOL, That's extremely interesting. Publix & Ingles are both in Spartanburg & Greenville. Several montha ago I was told by the wife of an Ingles employee, (her husband is a store manager), that Ingles is looking at land in Belmont & east Gastonia. Maybe the two stores will circle Charlotte, drawing customers out to the suburbs.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:31 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,672,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Giant Eagle isn't anything special either.
I agree, most of them are dumpy with old refrig ept and dirty....

IMO who cares about new stores coming in...I try to get in/out as fast as I can on my trips to grocery store...I don't find it a destination trip...

Old 08-23-2010, 04:23 PM

634 posts, read 1,209,769 times
Let me you all a question.... Is Tyson the only chicken you can buy here in NC. I noticed that in all 4 of Charlotte's different supermarkets you can only find Tyson chicken. No peppridge farm, no butterball....only tyson...why is this??

Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Let me you all a question.... Is Tyson the only chicken you can buy here in NC. I noticed that in all 4 of Charlotte's different supermarkets you can only find Tyson chicken. No peppridge farm, no butterball....only tyson...why is this??
I buy Perdue at Lowes Foods. Ingles has Tyson & a couple of other brands.

Food Lion carries Holly Farms. At least the Food Lions near me. . .

Old 08-23-2010, 05:43 PM

634 posts, read 1,209,769 times
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte